Trick or Treat

Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trick or Treat

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
It goes way back as long ago as I can remember in the N.E. and well before that I believe and was often known as guising.
Sometimes a group of them came in the house, an area of floor would be cleared and they'd put on a brief but very lively show of some sort.
In north east Lancashire we had the Mummers, it's a very long time ago so I've only a vague memory of it......

As I remember they used to wear turbans and had painted faces, they all wore a striped pinny (apron) and had dusters.
They would come in the house and start dusting while all the time going mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmm, they would be given some small change but the only thing they would say was mmmmmm.

(that's the nearest I can get to the sound they made)
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:41 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
In north east Lancashire we had the Mummers, it's a very long time ago so I've only a vague memory of it......

As I remember they used to wear turbans and had painted faces, they all wore a striped pinny (apron) and had dusters.
They would come in the house and start dusting while all the time going mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmm, they would be given some small change but the only thing they would say was mmmmmm.

(that's the nearest I can get to the sound they made)
Mmmmm, strange buggers you Lancastrians, mmmm very strange indeed.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm, strange buggers you Lancastrians, mmmm very strange indeed.

Last edited by megmet; Nov 1st 2011 at 11:55 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonnyc
HI, I am from the posh part of Newcastle (Scotswood Elswick and Benwell) and have to admit I've never heard of it.
Do you paint the coal white before you go first footing ???
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:22 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Do you paint the coal white before you go first footing ???

Of course they do, but they have to wash it properly first.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Trick or Treat

....and here's me thinking that all the posh baggers live ap at Gorsforth.

In any event that probably explains it, either that or you're not so long in the tooth as me.
Guising was certainly a common thing around all the pit villages in my neck of the woods, but there again maybe it was all different for all you posh city types.

HI DICK, Is 76 next birthday long enough??
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:48 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by sonnyc
HI DICK, Is 76 next birthday long enough??
Err right,

In that case I presume you had much better things to occupy your minds in your younger days in your neck of the woods......or should I not ask ?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they do, but they have to wash it properly first.
Well at least it would be in the right place for that, as everyone knows we in the North keep our coal in the bath!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Err right,

In that case I presume you had much better things to occupy your minds in your younger days in your neck of the woods......or should I not ask ?
Your right,
Often think of missed opertunities when the blood dropped below the waist.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:24 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Well at least it would be in the right place for that, as everyone knows we in the North keep our coal in the bath!
Reminds me of this old girl up our way not so long ago who used to go into the local coal depot every week.
She had an ancient possibly siver cross pram and lined up in the queue of big trucks, some transporting big bulk loads of coal to power stations, others delivering locally.
First she took her turn on the massive weighbridge and got weighed-in empty, before filling up her pram with a shovel and then joining the big truck queue to weigh-in loaded, and pay on the way back out.
I recall she had quite a walk along a busy trunk road after that to push her pram-load all the way back to her house.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Of course we do!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of

"Penny for the guy" when I was a lad back in ye oldie days this 'Trick or Treat' is another American idea. When the first lot knock just give them one wine gum each and the word on the street is your a tight old git and the others don't come a knocking.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tex_ritter
"Penny for the guy" when I was a lad back in ye oldie days this 'Trick or Treat' is another American idea. When the first lot knock just give them one wine gum each and the word on the street is your a tight old git and the others don't come a knocking.
We Brits celebrate the failed Suicide Bomber

The yanks would just incarcerate him on an island and pretend it's not part of the USA so human rights don't exist
Old Nov 8th 2011, 5:37 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
We Brits celebrate the failed Suicide Bomber

The yanks would just incarcerate him on an island and pretend it's not part of the USA so human rights don't exist
???

I always thought we were celebrating the death of a terrorist and the detection and prevention of his evil plot, rather than celebrating the guy,(scuse the pun), himself.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 5:46 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

???

I always thought we were celebrating the death of a terrorist and the detection and prevention of his evil plot, rather than celebrating the guy,(scuse the pun), himself.
We are. Celebrating the capture of Guy Fawkes and the saviour of the then King.