Trick or Treat

Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trick or Treat

"Penny for the Guy" not Trick or Treat in my childhood
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

The Spanish kids in our village come round with a letter asking if they can come back later for trick or treat.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:46 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
The Spanish kids in our village come round with a letter asking if they can come back later for trick or treat.

Just a matter of time before the little gobshites start posting their demands on the internet.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Just a matter of time before the little gobshites start posting their demands on the internet.
Our village is really small and still in the dark ages I am surprised they did it at all!! I actually thought it quite respectful to check that you didn't mind them coming round!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:03 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
Our village is really small and still in the dark ages I am surprised they did it at all!! I actually thought it quite respectful to check that you didn't mind them coming round!
I am with you on that, respectful and showing that the parents are taking responsibility for any annoyance that their child could be causing other members of the community.

I looked out of the window at 10.15 because I heard childrens voices. Six young lads (about 10 years old) were walking down the middle of the road, each had a very small (looked almost empty) carrier in one hand and a white paper bag in the other. They were busy eating what was in the paper bag so I presume that it was a bocadillo, none of them knocked on any doors. At the bottom of the road they met up with 3 slightly older children who live in our street, they compared booty and chatted for a few minutes and then parted. One of the three was dressed as a nun , could not really work out what the other two were dressed as but it did mean that I did eventually manage to throw out some sweets.

Rosemary
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:09 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Halloween originated centuries ago and not in the UK, it is a corruption of all saints day and is well celebrated by the Catholics. Trick or treat I do not remember until the eighties in the Uk but maybe that is my bad memory.

Graham
Halloween or All Hallows Eve existed long before All Saints Day.

The Italian Pope (can't remember which one) invented All Saints Day to fall on November 1st to try and stop the Pagans from celebrating their harvest festival on the 31st.

Italians all go to the gravestones of loved ones today too. Officially known as All Saints Day it's also called 'Il giorno dei morti' .... the day of the dead.
It's a national holiday too - no work or school today.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:30 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Halloween or All Hallows Eve existed long before All Saints Day.

The Italian Pope (can't remember which one) invented All Saints Day to fall on November 1st to try and stop the Pagans from celebrating their harvest festival on the 31st.

Italians all go to the gravestones of loved ones today too. Officially known as All Saints Day it's also called 'Il giorno dei morti' .... the day of the dead.
It's a national holiday too - no work or school today.
Sorry you are correct, I should have typed Halloween is a shortening of all hallows eve the day before all saints day. Sorry about that, a senior moment.

Graham
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:35 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Sorry you are correct, I should have typed Halloween is a shortening of all hallows eve the day before all saints day. Sorry about that, a senior moment.

Graham
You don't have to apologise to me ............. I spend some time each October teaching the Italians that Halloween was not a party invented by Americans but rather, it has deep seated roots which their Pope tried in vain to wipe out. I like telling them that bit
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
Very few knocked on my door this evening, so I'm presuming it's because my boys are now grown up and the local kids tend to knock on the doors of houses where they already know the residents.

Looks like I'm going to have to finish off the Chupa Chups!
It was actually not so manic here last night as it has been in previous years (think we got 8 or 9 calls in all) and was obvious that the kids weren't as dressed up as they normally are. Another sign of "la crisis", parents don't have the money to spend on non-essentials.

No way am I going to finish off the Chupa Chups, just the smell of them makes me feel sick! The leftover sweets will get dished out today, to whoever is passing.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R

No way am I going to finish off the Chupa Chups, just the smell of them makes me feel sick! The leftover sweets will get dished out today, to whoever is passing.
Another sign of the crisis is that the Chupa Chups factory in Asturias is moving to China
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the mist of my mind we did not trick nor treat nor penny for the guy in my childhood in our wee village. We dooked for apples and got messy biting treacle scones hanging from the pulley.

My kids went guisin' having learnt a song/dance/poetry or a string of jokes and went round their friends parents houses only. They had to do something to earn their treat not just stand there and ask for it ! Some of them put on quite a show. I remember one girl singing to us, really good she was.

Bonfire night was a village/family affair with food and fireworks.

Last night in the area of all my local bars/ shops it was a steady stream of dresed up children of all ages. Some bore no resemblance to spooky things although bizarre
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:38 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I am amazed at some of the ages that got dressed up (almost 20yrs some I saw and know), even more amazing were the fabulous costumes and make up they had, off they went in their cars, to where I don´t know.

Nobody knocked on the doors here though.

Is it a holiday yesterday and today? Loads of cars in our village and bars full at the mo.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I am amazed at some of the ages that got dressed up (almost 20yrs some I saw and know), even more amazing were the fabulous costumes and make up they had, off they went in their cars, to where I don´t know.

Nobody knocked on the doors here though.

Is it a holiday yesterday and today? Loads of cars in our village and bars full at the mo.
Holiday today, a lot of people go to the cemetaries to visit their departed.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
It goes way back as long ago as I can remember in the N.E. and well before that I believe and was often known as guising.
Sometimes a group of them came in the house, an area of floor would be cleared and they'd put on a brief but very lively show of some sort.
HI, I am from the posh part of Newcastle (Scotswood Elswick and Benwell) and have to admit I've never heard of it.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:53 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonnyc
HI, I am from the posh part of Newcastle (Scotswood Elswick and Benwell) and have to admit I've never heard of it.
....and here's me thinking that all the posh baggers live ap at Gorsforth.

In any event that probably explains it, either that or you're not so long in the tooth as me.
Guising was certainly a common thing around all the pit villages in my neck of the woods, but there again maybe it was all different for all you posh city types.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.