Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

translation please.

translation please.

Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: translation please.

Ah, so did I until I read your post above. I must have misunderstood the hes and hims and yous.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:14 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
Ah, so did I until I read your post above. I must have misunderstood the hes and hims and yous.
I think my English has let me down with this post. It is unclear what I am saying.

A Spanish friend of Chulos translated a phrase and it was bad (highlighted in red).
Agoreira posted that the guys English was crap , and Chulo answered that his English is fine, and that basically she did not understand the request.

My reply to Chulo, was to say that I agree with agoreira, that his English is not good, and that she had a valid point.- I hope that makes sense to you, cos it is not easy to explain.

Cheers,
Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:48 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JLFS
I know that I asked for a "direct translation" but what I meant was to translate the phrase into English that was grammatically correct.
Its no good stating that after I posted the request you made.

If it is not correct, what is the point.
I have no idea why you asked for the direct translation

Never rained that won`t stopped.

is not right at all, and to be honest you as a native English speaker should have told him that it did not make any sense.
It made no sense to either of us, but you asked and we answered.

I`m afraid the Spanish phrase you wrote, translated makes little sense in English.

The closest phrase to it would be "It never rains, but pours" my friend isn`t here right now, so I`m guessing that phrase would make no sense in Castellano. either.

Last edited by chulo; Nov 16th 2009 at 10:54 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:20 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
Its no good stating that after I posted the request you made.

I have no idea why you asked for the direct translation

It made no sense to either of us, but you asked and we answered.

I`m afraid the Spanish phrase you wrote, translated makes little sense in English.

The closest phrase to it would be "
It never rains, but pours
" my friend isn`t here right now, so I`m guessing that phrase would make no sense in Castellano. either.
Maybe it was my fault for asking for a "direct translation" but that was the only way that I knew how to phrase the question, so my English let me down and apparently I wrote a load of nonesence.

All I wanted was for that phrase to be translated into Eglish in a grammatically correct way, nothing more, nothing less.

I said at the time that, my own translation was better, but it did not look right to me. so I asked for a better one. Henc your friends reply.

A translation should be correct in the language it is translated into, not just badly connected words.

After he took the effort to reply, I did not want to make a negative comment on this forum, after all he tried his best.
I would have let it rest (because it is not that important), if it were not for the fact that, you gave agoreira a bit of a snotty reply when she critisized your friends level of English.

Nobody is saying that he has to have a perfect level of English, but unless you are up to the job, it is best not to post, and leave the translating to someone more qualified. If not, it can cause a lot of confusion, and sometimes as in this case, bad feeling.

The translation of "it never rains but pours" is totally wrong. I dont think you understood the meaning of the original sentence.
Anyway lets not go into that, that is a whole new saga.

Cheers.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Could someone help me translate this to English, I just cant get it to sound right. It has got me and the missus stuumped.

Nunca llovio que no parara - accent O

It never rained that never stopped (bad?)

It never rained and never stopped (doesnt mean the same, I dont think)

I dont want a proverb with the same meaning in English, I would like a translation, word for word, if possible.

Cheers
"It never rained that might not stop." However, in english, there isn't the double negative. So, would "It never rained that might stop" be of any help in your translation?
lol

Last edited by Carol&John; Nov 17th 2009 at 7:06 am. Reason: got caught out by the double negative!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:55 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
"It never rained that might not stop." However, in english, there isn't the double negative. So, would "It never rained that might stop" be of any help in your translation?
lol
This reply on page one was the closest:

Originally Posted by cricketman
I think "there was never rain that wouldnt stop" sounds better. Makes full use of the subjuntive

Madridboy confused the subjunctive with the future. Yes they are spelt the same, but the future tense has an accent on the final a
..... however I'd be inclined to clean it up a bit with:

"There's never been rain that wouldn't stop"

However, not what the OP originally asked for but by using poetic licence we could have something like:

"Even in the fiercest of storms, the rain eventually stops"
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

As the OP for this thread, I feel that I must come out in agoreiras defence.

I know that I asked for a "direct translation" but what I meant was to translate the phrase into English that was grammatically correct.

If it is not correct, what is the point.

Never rained that won`t stopped.

is not right at all, and to be honest you as a native English speaker should have told him that it did not make any sense.

The way the sentence is formed is really rubbish, too difficult for him and if he does not know his limitations, then you should have.
Agree, hence my previous comment. It's absolutely pointless giving a translation that makes no sense whatsoever. It's a bit like translating something like "pero no se me van a caer los anillos" as "but on me the rings aren't going to fall" or something equally silly.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
This reply on page one was the closest:

..... however I'd be inclined to clean it up a bit with:

"There's never been rain that wouldn't stop"

However, not what the OP originally asked for but by using poetic licence we could have something like:

"Even in the fiercest of storms, the rain eventually stops"
I still think "nothing lasts forever" would do the job. It's the meaning that you are trying to convey, the word rain doesn't have to appear.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:14 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I still think "nothing lasts forever" would do the job. It's the meaning that you are trying to convey, the word rain doesn't have to appear.
I don't agree. The orignal Spanish phrase uses 'rain' to symbolise gloomy times, so its meaning is that even gloomy times have an end.

'Nothing lasts forever' can have both an optimistic and pessamistic meaning. If you are in bad times and someone comforts you by saying 'Nothing lasts forever' then yes, in this instance it can work.

But if you are enjoying a particular run of good fortune, someone may advise caution by saying 'Nothing lasts forever' and in this instance it does not work in the 'Nunca llovio que no parara' sense.

I answered JFLS in the spirit of his original request ie translate it word for word but so that it makes grammatical sense in English. He specifically said (I think) that he didn't want an English equivalent saying as I understood that he just wanted to make sense of the words in the grammatical sense. My poetic licence version was just taking it a stage further and not meant as an equivalent saying - as my suggestion is to my knowledge not a popular saying at all

Someone suggested earlier as an equivalent saying in English 'Every cloud has a silver lining' - again not perfect (because of the conotation of turning a bad situation to ones advantage) but as near as damn it as I think we're going to get.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:56 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Maybe it was my fault for asking for a "direct translation" but that was the only way that I knew how to phrase the question, so my English let me down and apparently I wrote a load of nonesence.

All I wanted was for that phrase to be translated into Eglish in a grammatically correct way, nothing more, nothing less.

I said at the time that, my own translation was better, but it did not look right to me. so I asked for a better one. Henc your friends reply.

A translation should be correct in the language it is translated into, not just badly connected words.

After he took the effort to reply, I did not want to make a negative comment on this forum, after all he tried his best.
I would have let it rest (because it is not that important), if it were not for the fact that, you gave agoreira a bit of a snotty reply when she critisized your friends level of English.

Nobody is saying that he has to have a perfect level of English, but unless you are up to the job, it is best not to post, and leave the translating to someone more qualified. If not, it can cause a lot of confusion, and sometimes as in this case, bad feeling.

The translation of "it never rains but pours" is totally wrong. I dont think you understood the meaning of the original sentence.
Anyway lets not go into that, that is a whole new saga.

Cheers.
OMG.

What a pile of rubbish.

Next time somebody asks a stupid question, I guess I`ll ignore it and move on.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:56 pm
Banned

OMG.

What a pile of rubbish.

Next time somebody asks a stupid question, I guess I`ll ignore it and move on.
Good
Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:13 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Sticking my nose in here and getting back on topic .... are there any words in Spanish that cannot be translated in anyway?

I translate from Italian to English and even though I might have to read a certain sentence 3 or 4 times I can always find a way to make a sentence make sense. I have to swap them around sometimes as well. I do find though that 20 pages in Italian often end up as being 17 pages in English as the Italians go all around the mulberry bushes just to say something simple like "press the red button to stop the machine."
Perhaps it's the same in Spanish. I don't know. Just curious.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 6:18 pm
Banned

Lost in translation is well known by anybody bi lingual.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:22 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Lost in translation is well known by anybody bi lingual.
I am bilingual and I don't let anything get lost in my translations. I swap bits around sometimes but I make sure that the end product makes the same sense as the original.