Toll query.

Old Apr 16th 2016, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

MKABZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Toll query.

Hi,

We are coming to Costa Esuri on Monday for a month. On previous, shorter stays we have usually just agreed to the transponder at Faro airport as we expected to use the tolls anyway. As we are coming out for a while this time we don't want to waste money paying for the transponder if it is not necessary.
Can someone explain exactly how it works at the car hire firms? Can we say we don't want it and just avoid the A22 tolls? If we use the toll road, will we be charged the transponder hire only on the days we use the tolls? Or is there another alternative I haven't mentioned?

Mary.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 9:51 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toll query.

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 17th 2016, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mary
Below is possibly your best solution if you can avoid the transponder however the only place I know of to initiate the service is near the Tourist office you pass when entering Portugal over the bridge from Spain. Whether this will accept the tolls you accumulate to get there from the airport I do not know.

EASYTOLL

The EASYToll system is a new solution for automatic payment of electronic tolls, for tourists and immigrants, with the association of a credit card (Mastercard and Visa) to the license plate of the vehicle. The driver, not having to leave the vehicle, enters the credit card in the payment terminal and the system automatically associates the vehicle's license plate to the bankcard. The tolls rates owed are directly debited to the account associated with the card.

At the time of sign up, valid for 30 days, a ticket is issued as proof and must be kept.

The driver is always able to correct license plates numbers or cancel the membership, through the Call Center:

707 500 501 (if in Portugal) or
00 351 287 95 55 (from abroad) or
EasyToll Services.

The sign up has a cost of 0.60€+VAT and each journey has an administrative cost of 0.26€+VAT.

Sign up at the Welcome Points located at the border posts at the following locations:

A28 - Viana do Castelo; A24 - Chaves; A25 – Vilar Formoso; A22 – Vila Real de Santo António
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Easytoll is only for foreign registered cars - not Portuguese rental cars etc.

If you take the transponder you will pay a one-off 20€ for the privilege and have 15€ credit (some rentcos also block a few euros on your CC, but you'd pay nothing if you don't use it). Faro to CE return is around 10€ so you can do a round trip to Tavira (5€) with the balance.

If you do take the transponder and don't use you will have wasted 20€

You can decline the transponder and use the N125 to get to/from Ayamonte - but remember to leave extra time to get back to the airport on your return.
You could still use the A22 for the one way trip To Ayamonte and pay at a Payshop/Post Office or Olhao Services for that trip but you won't be able to pay for the return trip to the airport as it takes 2 days to appear on the system for payment. You could also get a one-way ticket at the layby on the Portuguese side of the bridge on the way back, but the little shelter the machine was in seems to have disappeared so I'm not sure the machine is still there. You can also buy tickets online in advance as soon as you have your rental car number.

Personally I pay the 5€ just to avoid the hassle and have a day trip to Tavira to use up the balance. I would have thought that on a longer trip you would be more likely to want to venture into Portugal anyway and you can then just do that without any bother.

Last edited by MikeJ; Apr 17th 2016 at 7:45 am.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Easytoll is only for foreign registered cars - not Portuguese rental cars etc.
Correction appreciated Mike,

Easytoll just refers to tourists and not to the cars registration.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would take the transponder option and stay off that N125 except for where you really need. No way would I use it for arrival trip in the dark ( too many people walking the roadside) nor the return trip as traffic can be nose to tail at times. It is a death trap, on weekly trips recently the amount times we have met cars on our side of the road overtaking a line of traffic is incredible and the amount of bumper huggers is none better. Say safe and enjoy your time here.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Good morning fred and Mike,
Thanks very much for your replies, much appreciated.

I reckon we will follow what Mike has said and get the transponder, that way we can use the A22 to get to CE. I didn't want to be charged a daily hire fee for the transponder, so if it is a maximum of about 20 euros that is fine.

We are hoping the weather is better at CE than it is here in Scotland, we have had snow the last few days.

Mary.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi The Captains Wench,

I think our replies crossed.
We will indeed avoid the N125, keep it for shorter journeys, which I don't mind on that road. I like to try and avoid any rip offs from the car hire firms.

Definitely hoping for some good weather and a relaxing time.

Mary.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Michael M is an unknown quantity at this point

According to a post on Facebook this morning, the Portuguese government have decided to scrap the toll, but I can't find confirmation anywhere else.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael M
According to a post on Facebook this morning, the Portuguese government have decided to scrap the toll, but I can't find confirmation anywhere else.
Hi Michael. There is a article on the tolls in this or last weeks portugal news..
Old Apr 18th 2016, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael M
Do you mean the one dated 1st April?
Old Apr 18th 2016, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mary, no worries. Which part of bonnie Scotland ?
Old Apr 18th 2016, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Hi Mary, no worries. Which part of bonnie Scotland ?
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Hi The Captain's Wench,

We have a house in Aberdeen, though both my husband and I come from Paisley. Are you Scottish?
In complete irony - we are currently sitting on our balcony in Marina Esuri in the pouring rain!
:-D
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MKABZ
Hi The Captain's Wench,

We have a house in Aberdeen, though both my husband and I come from Paisley. Are you Scottish?
In complete irony - we are currently sitting on our balcony in Marina Esuri in the pouring rain!
:-D
No kidding, my OH was from Paisley - or rather Kilbarchan - but went to school in Paisley. We are on the way there tomorrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.