Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Telephone/Broadband - Best way to Start?

Telephone/Broadband - Best way to Start?

Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:22 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephone/Broadband - Best way to Start?

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
telefonicainenglish.com is actually DT Onebill (direct telecom), based in Teneriffe. Are they cowboys? I emailed them & Nicole seems to be answering all my questions.

You pay 39.50€ (not incl IVA), with 8MB ASDL plus300mins free international calls using VOIP, local calls (VOIP) are free, plus you need to pay 13.97 euro for landline rental.

Has anyone used DT onebill? Please post your comments about them.
Thanks.
This is a post from September last year. But to answer your question I have seen so many complaints about telefonicainenglish now that I could never consider using them.

These are people who have gone through the process, paid their euros, and then never got connected

Search for the name on this forum, I seem to remember there is a long thread of them. Maybe they have changed, who knows.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
This is a post from September last year. But to answer your question I have seen so many complaints about telefonicainenglish now that I could never consider using them.

These are people who have gone through the process, paid their euros, and then never got connected

Search for the name on this forum, I seem to remember there is a long thread of them. Maybe they have changed, who knows.
Heres one of them http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...onicainenglish

It starts off OK as we were all confused, but later on the complaints start.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

for hot spot - thats what we pay with telefonica, ive got 10mb adsl, all free national calls.

"telefonicainenglish" seem to include "free" voip calls to europe.. but you can get those online free or cheap anyway.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Sorry Mitz, I know it's an old post but the reason I brought it up is that when I contacted those people, she seems to be very helpful & their rates don't look bad. I've to explore round forums to see which one is the best for me. I got very confused whenever someone recommend some company & I still haven't made up my mind as to which ASDL plus phone company I should go for. I don`t want to go the wrong path as you know it`s very difficult to get out & besides these companies have 18mths contract.

Though the website is telefonicainenglish, when I email these people, it`s actually www.direct-telecom.es. So are we still saying that this company scam people. They`re from Tenerife.

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
for hot spot - thats what we pay with telefonica, ive got 10mb adsl, all free national calls.

"telefonicainenglish" seem to include "free" voip calls to europe.. but you can get those online free or cheap anyway.
Yes that`s why I thought is appropriate for me but I don`t want to be scammed. It`s just that Nicole seems to be very helpful with my questions & answered my emails almost immediately.

I thought vodafone is good till I see how much they charge for calls to Canada (18c per min). For the 1st 2 yrs, I need to make pretty long calls to my bank managers in Canada & that`s why I can`t go for vodaphone.
I can`t use free skype for the banks either.

I`ve read a lot of people are not happy with telefonica & beside telefonica has connection charges.

I just want to get the right company for the ADSL plus free phone calls even with limited minutes for the 1st time without having to switch from 1 company to another. As you know switching is a lot of hassles & headaches.

How I wish I know which one is appropriate for me & fairly reasonable price.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

with telefonica there are monthly calling plans to other countries, "anywhere in europe" and "america / canada" i think?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:52 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Sorry Mitz, I know it's an old post but the reason I brought it up is that when I contacted those people, she seems to be very helpful & their rates don't look bad. I've to explore round forums to see which one is the best for me. I got very confused whenever someone recommend some company & I still haven't made up my mind as to which ASDL plus phone company I should go for. I don`t want to go the wrong path as you know it`s very difficult to get out & besides these companies have 18mths contract.

Though the website is telefonicainenglish, when I email these people, it`s actually www.direct-telecom.es. So are we still saying that this company scam people. They`re from Tenerife.

Yes that`s why I thought is appropriate for me but I don`t want to be scammed. It`s just that Nicole seems to be very helpful with my questions & answered my emails almost immediately.

I thought vodafone is good till I see how much they charge for calls to Canada (18c per min). For the 1st 2 yrs, I need to make pretty long calls to my bank managers in Canada & that`s why I can`t go for vodaphone.
I can`t use free skype for the banks either.

I`ve read a lot of people are not happy with telefonica & beside telefonica has connection charges.

I just want to get the right company for the ADSL plus free phone calls even with limited minutes for the 1st time without having to switch from 1 company to another. As you know switching is a lot of hassles & headaches.

How I wish I know which one is appropriate for me & fairly reasonable price.
No probs
I cant say if the scam people or not .... even if they have changed hands, I dont know .... all I can say is readd through the Telefonicainenglish thread at the concerns
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Telephone/Broadband - Best way to Start?

Originally Posted by CharlesB
Contacted them on Friday of last week. Nice guy, told me that they have a 20E deal at the mo, Telephone + BB. Extra 67E for setup fee for BB>

I thought, OK, sounds good. Said that I will ring up Mon to confirm the details. Just spoke to them and they said no such deal exists
Would I be right in saying that "if you went through with the offer on that same day" you would've got that deal ? ( I think you would've )
I'm not saying they didn't move the goalposts or nothing but the deal-breaker here, to me at least, is that you waited until the following week and didn't luck out.

Tip - Sounds good / get it & don't dilly-dally
DSB.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:22 pm
Senior Moment

Interestingly last year with the real Telefonica I got a call from them offering me a 6 MB connection. They told me to ring sales. I thought it a bit strange but I did ring and they confirmed, said they would get it implemented in a week.

Now, I'm on rural adsl, around .500 - .800 is all I usually get.

Nothing ever happened anyway. Oh, apart from the fact I got a bill for €138 for a mysterious re confinguring my modem and a call out charge

Be careful what you wish for with Telefonica
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Interestingly last year with the real Telefonica I got a call from them offering me a 6 MB connection. They told me to ring sales. I thought it a bit strange but I did ring and they confirmed, said they would get it implemented in a week.

Now, I'm on rural adsl, around .500 - .800 is all I usually get.

Nothing ever happened anyway. Oh, apart from the fact I got a bill for €138 for a mysterious re confinguring my modem and a call out charge

Be careful what you wish for with Telefonica
Wow - TeleP sure seem to be wacky.
I heard bad a good like most /yawn/... Unfortunately the structure in Spain is not as good as, say the UK. So weeding out all these bad situations is taking forever, and forever, and forever... Until such a time, there are always going to be people caught in the net (no pun).

Mitzy - Come on though, wasn't it wishful thinking on your part : 6Meg jump from less than a Meg
DSB.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:41 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
Mitzy - Come on though, wasn't it wishful thinking on your part : 6Meg jump from less than a Meg
DSB.
Yep, thats why I was confused.
I was thinking about going on to the Vodaphone adsl that we just had a thread on, but it ocurrs to me that I wont get any better connection with them than I have now!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, thats why I was confused.
I was thinking about going on to the Vodaphone adsl that we just had a thread on, but it ocurrs to me that I wont get any better connection with them than I have now!
You could try putting your computer closer to the land line socket with a very short CAT5 Like sitting at the front of the Train just to get there quicker.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pGOnGM04xg...load_a_car.jpg
DSB.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

No probs
I cant say if the scam people or not .... even if they have changed hands, I dont know .... all I can say is readd through the Telefonicainenglish thread at the concerns
Thanks Mtiz. I`ll read thru that thread again. The price of 39.50€ before IVA for 8MB is not a promotional offer as Nicole told me that is their normal price.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

I thought Nicole was very good in answering my emails. Now I begin to wonder when I asked her whether Telefonicainenglish is related to direct-telecom & people were dissatisfied with Telefonicainenglish. I don't get a reply.
I wonder they've changed the name due to this.

This is definitely not the one for me as I'm suspicious about them esp I don't meet them personally.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm surprised to get a reply today but not from Nicole. I'm not sure whether to trust them. Anyone has dealing with them (direct telecom), please comments.

Thanks.

This is what the customer service replies:
"Many thanks for this information.

We Direct Telecom are our own company and offer our services directly to existing and potential new clients. We are honest with our clients and only charge for services we provide.

Telefonica in English has changed and is now run through Movifresh (not sure if you are aware of this), they are an agent for us, the offer our services to clients - calls and Internet.

I do stress though that when we receive a sign up from them, the client is now dealt with us directly and that Telefonica in English are not to charge any monies to the client for these services. Direct Telecom charge for the service of the ADSL and line switch over.

If someone has contacted Telefonica in English for a line installation or other services then this is something we would have no information of.

As I say we can deal with the client directly and that Telefonica in English are simply an agent and nothing more. Plus they are now controlled under a company called Movifresh.

Please let me know if you require further information about our service and we are happy to deal directly with you."
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Has anyone used euphony? I'm not sure talkout has taken over the last time I emailed them.

For only € 39,90 /per month! VAT not included
Up to 3 Mb in GIGAADSL y PAI
* Personal Euphony customer service in Spanish and English
* No Contract Commitment

- you get 600mins free international calls & local & national calls are free.