Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Telephone/Broadband - Best way to Start?

Telephone/Broadband - Best way to Start?

Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:56 am
Just Joined

CharlesB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Telephone/Broadband - Best way to Start?

Hi All,

Could really do with some help/advice. I'm opening up a business in Andalucia. I have an old line number which is de-activated. I need a new line setup asap prefarbly with Broadband.

The options as I see them are:
1.) Go with Telefonica for a combined package.
2.) Get Telefonica to re-activate the line and pop over to orange/vodafone to transfer to one of their packages for a cheaper deal (as has been mentioned in other threads).

I've been told that 1.) will be more expensive. However I'm concered that with 2.) I will be tied into a 12 month contract with telefonica regardless and won't be able to move companies for awhile.

If anybody has any experience in setting this up it would be much appreciated. I'm hoping to hear:

'Get the line setup with Telefonica, basic install, pop over to a vodafone/orange shop and they will take ownership of the line/broadband for a cheaper price than Telefonica will and simply transfer the contract'.

Fingers crossed and Thank's to all in advance.

Cheers
Charlie
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:18 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephone/Broadband - Best way to Start?

Personally I would go with Telefonica. Heard of people having problems with the other two (not that telefonica are perfect). What happens is if there are connection problems eg. Orange blame telefonica and vice-versa and nothing gets sorted! You would only save a few euro anyway.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks jackytoo,

I've heard soo many bad things about Telefonica I'm hesitant. I suspect that I will be tied into a 12month contract with them upon connection regardless which would mean I won't be able to transfer.

I hope that somebody out there has a better way to do this.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:30 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

All phone lines are supposedly owned by telefonica. So if there is any repair or additions to be done they will still be involved. Using them cuts out the middlemen.
We once had a service for internet with Wanadoo (now Orange) between them they could not sort out a technical problem. The solution was change to internet with telefonica and problem was sorted out in next to no time.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

I just got off the phone to Telefonica. Looks like the can install for free and basic line rental cost is 13.95E per month! Not bad. They can also install within 3 working days which suits me down to the ground as I'm having some printing done advertising my business.

They can also extend the offer to ADSL broadband for 20E per month for the first 8 months with a one off 67E setup fee.

Looking good so far...

Thank's for the advice.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 1:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CharlesB
I just got off the phone to Telefonica. Looks like the can install for free and basic line rental cost is 13.95E per month! Not bad. They can also install within 3 working days which suits me down to the ground as I'm having some printing done advertising my business.

They can also extend the offer to ADSL broadband for 20E per month for the first 8 months with a one off 67E setup fee.

Looking good so far...

Thank's for the advice.
You also do NOT have a minimum contract with Telefonica, they don't do that over there, unlike the broadband companies in the UK.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

A neighbour of mine changed from Telefonica to BT (here in Spain) because they said that there would be no problems & it was cheaper

They'd been warned by people about the problems that can arise if there's a problem - you know the 'it's the telefonica line causing the problem' - 'oh no, it's the provider causing the problem' - but BT were adamant that they 'owned the lines'

guess what? - first sign of a problem - BT blamed the telefonica line
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
A neighbour of mine changed from Telefonica to BT (here in Spain) because they said that there would be no problems & it was cheaper

They'd been warned by people about the problems that can arise if there's a problem - you know the 'it's the telefonica line causing the problem' - 'oh no, it's the provider causing the problem' - but BT were adamant that they 'owned the lines'

guess what? - first sign of a problem - BT blamed the telefonica line
I looked into that firm and it is not BT, just a micky mouse franchise.

Google it.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:10 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I looked into that firm and it is not BT, just a micky mouse franchise.

Google it.
really?

I don't think my neighbour knows that!!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
really?

I don't think my neighbour knows that!!
Have a look here their sister company is Iberbanda .
I thought that was owned by Telefonica ?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Now that site does look dodgy! It's seems like Telefonica definitely have the stranglehold that BT used to have for many years in the UK. I think things are changes as ONO advised me over the phone that they will be taking over line rental also from October. Changes are certainly happening.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 3:29 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jdr
Have a look here their sister company is Iberbanda .
I thought that was owned by Telefonica ?
so she's still (sort of) with Telefonica

but paying less
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

Worth a look:-

http://www.vodafone.es/idioma/ingles/internet/adsl/
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:50 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by gardner8
Had a look at them before, but no cover where I am ?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Back to square one! Called up on Wed, Telefonica said no probs on 20E per month deal for 8 months. The said the would call back on Friday. Didn't so I called them. The didn't have a clue on this offer and tried to offer me double. They even said that the person that I spoke to on Wed doesn't work there?

The customer service is appaling. Even worse than the UK and that's saying something. Anybody I call in Spain for assistance, i.e. customer services, doesn't seem to have any energy or passion or willingness to help.

Is it just me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.