Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Strange Business Start-ups

Strange Business Start-ups

Old Mar 3rd 2012, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange Business Start-ups

Actually, the sponge cake with the top cut off and wings in butter cream icing etc is a butterfly cake/bun. A fairy cake is basically the thing before you lopped the top off. Though fairy cakes can also be iced to taste/look nicer.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 6:46 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a business start up in Benidorm. A retired baker from Devon bought a tiny bar right in the heart of it. He worked his heart out but couldn't make any money from his venture.

Then he bought a fancy new oven and went back to his old trade, baking cakes. It turned the place round, he was on the edge of the pink zone and they prefer fancy little cakes to countless pints of lager.

He became a good friend but I could never get used to a Devon cream tea with a pint of lager.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 7:13 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I watched a business start up in Benidorm. A retired baker from Devon bought a tiny bar right in the heart of it. He worked his heart out but couldn't make any money from his venture.

Then he bought a fancy new oven and went back to his old trade, baking cakes. It turned the place round, he was on the edge of the pink zone and they prefer fancy little cakes to countless pints of lager.

He became a good friend but I could never get used to a Devon cream tea with a pint of lager.
Pie-Thagoras in Madrid still appears to be plying his pies. I see he even tried a "Haggis-pie". If I get out to Madrid this year I may sample one of his pies. Unless of course that new fish and chip place puts him out of business

http://great-british-food.com/
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 7:36 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Pie-Thagoras in Madrid still appears to be plying his pies. I see he even tried a "Haggis-pie". If I get out to Madrid this year I may sample one of his pies. Unless of course that new fish and chip place puts him out of business

http://great-british-food.com/
I think that's the answer. In difficult financial times you need a gimmick to succeed in business. Fish and chips in the UK and tapas in Spain are not enough any more, the market is saturated.

Pies, fairy cakes, jellied eels, haggis, deep fried Mars bars might be the next phase. Or talking cash points, I read about them today.

Imagine putting your card in and a loud voice starts laughing?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:17 am
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

In my town of Javea some Brit couple started to hire those scooter things along the promenade that have 2 wheels on the bottom and handlebars on the top. To make it go you lean forward and left and right.

Not sure what they are called but they were gone before the summer was over!

Mark
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:55 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM
In my town of Javea some Brit couple started to hire those scooter things along the promenade that have 2 wheels on the bottom and handlebars on the top. To make it go you lean forward and left and right.

Mark
I think they are called "wally trollies".
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I think that's the answer. In difficult financial times you need a gimmick to succeed in business. Fish and chips in the UK and tapas in Spain are not enough any more, the market is saturated.

Pies, fairy cakes, jellied eels, haggis, deep fried Mars bars might be the next phase. Or talking cash points, I read about them today.

Imagine putting your card in and a loud voice starts laughing?
In Torrox Costa, not far from where I live, for the past couple of years there has been a fish and chip restaurant and an Indian restaurht, both owned by the same people. They are now running both businesses in the same premises - is it just me or does this smack of desperation? If I wanted a decent curry I wouldn't go to a fish and chip shop for it, nor vice versa if I wanted fish and chips.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
In Torrox Costa, not far from where I live, for the past couple of years there has been a fish and chip restaurant and an Indian restaurht, both owned by the same people. They are now running both businesses in the same premises - is it just me or does this smack of desperation? If I wanted a decent curry I wouldn't go to a fish and chip shop for it, nor vice versa if I wanted fish and chips.
Cod mix and curry sauce,
Old Mar 5th 2012, 11:19 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

What is it that makes people who have never run a business think they can move abroad and run a successful business as a Brit food shop/bar
Old Mar 5th 2012, 11:58 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
What is it that makes people who have never run a business think they can move abroad and run a successful business as a Brit food shop/bar
Sheer bloodymindedness?????.

Last edited by JLFS; Mar 5th 2012 at 12:11 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:23 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM

Mark
I must have blinked & missed them!!!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:28 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I think they are called "wally trollies".
nope - this is the Jávea Wally Trolley

Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

They're called a Segway. Bizarrely the inventor died accidentally driving one of his own vehicles off a cliff (sorry can't help it..... )
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:40 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Not nice
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

After the Great Cupcake Furore - this may be the next big thing. I read an article in a magazine yesterday about two women from Yorkshire who have started a business selling cake pops???? Turns out they are cakes on lollipop sticks - what will they think of next (and why)?

At first I thought it might be an April Fool as it was the April issue, but having Googled cake pops, there is information out there.

Coming soon to a high street near you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.