Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Strange Business Start-ups

Strange Business Start-ups

Old Mar 3rd 2012, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange Business Start-ups

Originally Posted by megmet
In my part of east Lancashire it's a teacake.....but then we were right on the Lancs/Yorkshire border.
Yes, I'd forgotten that. When I got married the town I moved to (literally right on the Lancs/Yorks border) had teacakes - which to me had always had currants in them.

My OH is from Lincolnshire and he calls them bread buns. When he moved in to live with me he was reduced to pointing at what he wanted in the baker's as they had no idea what he was on about. Good practice for moving to Spain, I suppose!
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 9:48 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

There's a doctor at our local health centre who has started a campaign to get rid of Indian restaurants. He tells all his patients, no matter what they're treated for, to stop eating curries.

But a new Indian place has just opened, which makes three I can walk to in minutes. Do I listen to the doctor or treat myself? I've already got the new menu indoors, my wife reads it like a book. It's lying next to the phone. They deliver.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:04 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
BE-RO Celebration cake

I had better get baking the Old Fart is 80 this year.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...P5180001-1.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...PA280002-2.jpg

Please excuse the icing
Now that is a proper cake,tasty, weighty, and with a heartfelt message written on it.........
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
BE-RO Celebration cake
An excellent little cookbook!
I'm still using my mothers book from the sixties, the price was 1/6d.....I always use the recipe in that for my Christmas cake which always comes out perfect.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:23 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have one too Probably older thinking of the cooker picture, it is printed in brown and white. Some real stodgy stuff in there, suet puddings etc. Seem like recipes to ensure clogged arteries.

Now looking at it, probably came from my grandmother! Very tatty, has hints about using a coal oven! Anyone needs to make rock buns I have just the recipe
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I have one too Probably older thinking of the cooker picture, it is printed in brown and white. Some real stodgy stuff in there, suet puddings etc. Seem like recipes to ensure clogged arteries.

Now looking at it, probably came from my grandmother! Very tatty, has hints about using a coal oven! Anyone needs to make rock buns I have just the recipe
Any buns I have tried making always turn out like rock buns anyway, whatever the recipe!

Just a thought - with all the regional variations on what things are called, how do Tesco and the other supermarkets who do online shopping cope? Do they have clever software that changes the product names according to the shopper's postcode, or might you fall victim to the dreaded 'product substitution' where if they haven't got what you asked for, they send what they think is the nearest alternative instead? That could lead to some interesting calls to Customer Service - "I ordered teacakes and you sent me things with currants in - how am I supposed to make fish paste sandwiches with those?" ...
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:47 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of business start ups, there has just been an item on the Spanish channels saying that people who win the lottery usually end up skint after an average of 10 years

They said a lot of people get roped in to business ventures with friends and family, with them funding it of course. Others just go on spending sprees, so all in all it seems that your life does change after a big win, but most changes are only tempory....
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Any buns I have tried making always turn out like rock buns anyway, whatever the recipe!

Just a thought - with all the regional variations on what things are called, how do Tesco and the other supermarkets who do online shopping cope? Do they have clever software that changes the product names according to the shopper's postcode, or might you fall victim to the dreaded 'product substitution' where if they haven't got what you asked for, they send what they think is the nearest alternative instead? That could lead to some interesting calls to Customer Service - "I ordered teacakes and you sent me things with currants in - how am I supposed to make fish paste sandwiches with those?" ...
You are not very adventurous are you?

Some people in Spain eat a chocolate and chorizo sandwich...

And the other day a telly cook said to try some strong/strongish cheese, like cheddar type texture, splodge a bit of hone on top and then sprinkle a bit of coffee on top...........my wife was so gobsmacked that she went to the kitchen and prepared some, it was good actually.

Did anyone else see the programme?
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JLFS
You are not very adventurous are you?

Some people in Spain eat a chocolate and chorizo sandwich...

And the other day a telly cook said to try some strong/strongish cheese, like cheddar type texture, splodge a bit of hone on top and then sprinkle a bit of coffee on top...........my wife was so gobsmacked that she went to the kitchen and prepared some, it was good actually.

Did anyone else see the programme?
Possibly not. I can't say I've been very impressed when I've ordered fried camembert with cranberry sauce in Spanish restaurants and what I invariably get is a spoonful of strawberry jam! Maybe they do product substitution as well as the supermarkets.

And I like neither chorizo nor cheese. There's no hope!
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 2:31 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

On holiday a French family at the next table put min-choc drops for cereal on top of bacon

Read that in the UK the most popular start up retail shops are nail bars. Have 2 in our closest small high st. and they are always full!

Just while I am rambling, Winchester has a small food market 1 day per week. There is a cup-cake stall. really swish ones but cost £2 or more. Two Spaniards have stalls and they seem to do well. One has mainly products fro Galicia and the other has a giant paella and services portions. Both seem to do well.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 3:25 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Stop it, you will have Domino rushing back to the surgery for more blood pressure medication!
why ?

because I am totally fed up with the politically correct claptrap that is knocking the life out of the UK, banning the use of old historical words just in case someone may take offence.?
funny that when I go to a foreign country I cannot get them to change words that actually cause me offence.?

has anyone got a "small sponge cake with the top taken off and cut into 2 equal halves, cream placed on the top of the cake body and the 2 pieces put on top like wings"

Its a FAIRY CAKE !!

With my new beard I was thinking of getting a job as a Father Christmas until I was told the job title had been corrected to Winterval Consultant .

Jeez what is the country coming to.!!!
It is about time sensible and normal people started fighting back - or is it too late ??
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Domino
why ?

because I am totally fed up with the politically correct claptrap that is knocking the life out of the UK, banning the use of old historical words just in case someone may take offence.?
funny that when I go to a foreign country I cannot get them to change words that actually cause me offence.?

has anyone got a "small sponge cake with the top taken off and cut into 2 equal halves, cream placed on the top of the cake body and the 2 pieces put on top like wings"

Its a FAIRY CAKE !!

With my new beard I was thinking of getting a job as a Father Christmas until I was told the job title had been corrected to Winterval Consultant .

It is about time sensible and normal people started fighting back - or is it too late ??
Domino, I hate to burst your bubble but the reason they are now called cupcakes has nothing to do with PC at all. It is purely a fashion thing - the trend for "jazzzed-up" fairy cakes which people are apparently able to sell at ridiculous prices originated in the USA and has been assiduously promoted by the glossy magazines. I believe they were always called cupcakes there anyway so that is what they are called now they are supposedly "trendy".

Now calm down, all this fuming is bad for you!
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Far too late
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 5:54 pm
Banned

Have a look at these photos of cup cakes. They are larger than the old-fashioned fairy cakes. You also pay for the designs sometimes.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pho...w=1366&bih=641

Domino I understand what you mean. The british are traditionally appeasers, they are still apologising for when they had an empire
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 6:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Have a look at these photos of cup cakes. They are larger than the old-fashioned fairy cakes. You also pay for the designs sometimes.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pho...w=1366&bih=641

Domino I understand what you mean. The british are traditionally appeasers, they are still apologising for when they had an empire
The Spanish too did a great deal of raping,pillaging and general not very friendly stuff, the only difference is we dont apologise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.