Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sterling in freefall

Sterling in freefall

Old Oct 10th 2010, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sterling in freefall

Originally Posted by CBANDY
It's because it affects the whole world economy. The world economy is set by the price of energy.
Whilst oil does have a bearing on the economy it does not explain the fall in the value of the pound to the euro as both the Uk and Eurozone are affected.
Surely on your basis you would expect the pound to strengthen as it has its own oil reserves.

This latest fall appears to be triggered by the perceived state of the Uk economy. However in my opinion this is due to transparency whereas many of the eurozone countries are less open in regard to the state of their nations finances.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:53 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I usually enjoy the news on a Sunday morning, all free and from all over the world. That was until I read that when a country is in so much debt that repayment becomes impossible, it has only one recourse, to devalue its currency.

Then I remembered Harold Wilson and his ‘The pound in your packet is still . . . .’

Well, Harold may have been right about the pound in your pocket in the UK, but I’m not in the UK. I change the pound in my pocket to buy myself a cup of coffee, and it’s getting dearer.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Whilst oil does have a bearing on the economy it does not explain the fall in the value of the pound to the euro as both the Uk and Eurozone are affected.
Surely on your basis you would expect the pound to strengthen as it has its own oil reserves.

This latest fall appears to be triggered by the perceived state of the Uk economy. However in my opinion this is due to transparency whereas many of the eurozone countries are less open in regard to the state of their nations finances.
Where does 'Value' go anyway?
When it all comes down to it. Value is only a word. Like fairies, you have to believe in it for it to be real.
The only place our value is going is into a confidence hole. The only people making money out of it are the Bankers and the Insurers. The one feeds off the crises many of us have got into because of 'value' falls in our property, or other assets including money. And the other feeds off our fear of losing all that we have.
For these people swings in economy are actually a good thing.
Guess who's making money out of the fact we have to borrow to pay the tax debts we've got into because of the fall in value of the pound, due to the 'banking crisis' which our taxes bail out? (long sentence intentional).
The Bankers, who, having been handed out our tax money, and who are able to borrow at .5% in order to help the poor things out, are now lending us taxpayers our own money back at 21%!! Why? because we are a bad credit risk! And they are what? A good risk?:
There, that's my rant for the day. I feel better now.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:44 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Where does 'Value' go anyway?
When it all comes down to it. Value is only a word. Like fairies, you have to believe in it for it to be real.
The only place our value is going is into a confidence hole. The only people making money out of it are the Bankers and the Insurers. The one feeds off the crises many of us have got into because of 'value' falls in our property, or other assets including money. And the other feeds off our fear of losing all that we have.
For these people swings in economy are actually a good thing.
Guess who's making money out of the fact we have to borrow to pay the tax debts we've got into because of the fall in value of the pound, due to the 'banking crisis' which our taxes bail out? (long sentence intentional).
The Bankers, who, having been handed out our tax money, and who are able to borrow at .5% in order to help the poor things out, are now lending us taxpayers our own money back at 21%!! Why? because we are a bad credit risk! And they are what? A good risk?:
There, that's my rant for the day. I feel better now.
They should be put in chains. Here's just one consequence:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/84436...nts_in_Sussex/
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:28 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose one plus point of the weak pound is that you still get plenty of EU tourists to the UK (and especially in London). The answer then is to invest in London hotels. I think...
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:37 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I suppose one plus point of the weak pound is that you still get plenty of EU tourists to the UK (and especially in London). The answer then is to invest in London hotels. I think...
....... and UK exports are cheaper.......... er.... hold on there arent any lol!!! Doesnt do much for those imports tho!

Jo xxx
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
....... and UK exports are cheaper.......... er.... hold on there arent any lol!!! Doesnt do much for those imports tho!

Jo xxx
the UK exports rose tinted glasses by the thousand, every year, doesn't it?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
the UK exports rose tinted glasses by the thousand, every year, doesn't it?
Where can I get a new pair as the ones I have are getting a bit cloudy
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:03 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Where can I get a new pair as the ones I have are getting a bit cloudy
Cricketman probably has lots of spares
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:23 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t panic, the pound has just gone up by 0.0007 from 1.14 to 1.14.

When I go to the cash point I no longer have the balance printed out, I just check it on the screen. That way you can press the Exit button and won’t be reminded of the bad news by carrying around little bits of paper.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jojojojojo

Jo xxx
£33.5 Billion to the US in 2009 or so the Guardian says, Lol.

Jim
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:18 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Don't look now 1.13 Euros to the pound.
I predict a recovery tomorrow (if only on the basis that at some point the trend has to turn). In the meantime, anyone in spain selling up will get more pounds for their Euros (sorry, that's the only good point I can see at the moment)
Old Oct 21st 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Don't look now 1.13 Euros to the pound.
I predict a recovery tomorrow (if only on the basis that at some point the trend has to turn). In the meantime, anyone in spain selling up will get more pounds for their Euros (sorry, that's the only good point I can see at the moment)
Sorry to disappoint you - opened an email from Foreign Currencies Direct this morning to say that they had made our regular payment to Spain at a rate of
1.1012 euros to the pound

Perhaps it will recover a bit next week when the impact of George Osbourne's speech dies off a bit ....
Old Oct 21st 2010, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

But it is not the pound falling, look at the Euro it is up against everything except the Turkish Lira !
Old Oct 21st 2010, 10:40 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that's allright then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.