Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sterling in freefall

Sterling in freefall

Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:35 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sterling in freefall

[QUOTE=cricketman;8899422][QUOTE=CBANDY;8899341] The worlds economy relies on infinite growth which is not possible with finite rescources

Yes that's the problem, the whole concept of banking is a con!

The other day, I learnt how banks come up with the money to give you a loan or mortgage. They basically type it into their computer and there it is in your account in exchange for your signature i.e. they create it from nowhere! I used to wrongly think that the bank must have the loan they gave you as part of their assets e.g. savings or bonds etc, but no, its just invented!

No wonder the banks were giving away as many loans as possible. It was quite literally money for nothing. While the working population have to slave away to pay the loans back.

For me the concept is nothing short of criminal and immoral. I'm thinking of inventing an alternative online currency now where you can trade for goods and not involve the banks or the tax system

As they say, debt is wealth these days
And debt is also slavery to the banks.
The world economy is the biggest pyramid scheme ever.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=cricketman;8899422]
Originally Posted by CBANDY
The other day, I learnt how banks come up with the money to give you a loan or mortgage. They basically type it into their computer and there it is in your account in exchange for your signature i.e. they create it from nowhere!.
Not quite, it debits or credits various other machines with ones and noughts.

Now you know have they felt when the UK went off the gold standard and people received an IOU from the Bank of England.

Jim
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=cricketman;8899422][QUOTE=CBANDY;8899341] The worlds economy relies on infinite growth which is not possible with finite rescources

Yes that's the problem, the whole concept of banking is a con!

The other day, I learnt how banks come up with the money to give you a loan or mortgage. They basically type it into their computer and there it is in your account in exchange for your signature i.e. they create it from nowhere! I used to wrongly think that the bank must have the loan they gave you as part of their assets e.g. savings or bonds etc, but no, its just invented!

No wonder the banks were giving away as many loans as possible. It was quite literally money for nothing. While the working population have to slave away to pay the loans back.

For me the concept is nothing short of criminal and immoral. I'm thinking of inventing an alternative online currency now where you can trade for goods and not involve the banks or the tax system

As they say, debt is wealth these days
And debt is also slavery to the banks.
No, this is not how banks work.

They borrow at one rate (what they pay on your deposits and the rate from other banks.)

Then they lend it to you. They can borrow at less than 2% at the moment and many mortgages cost over 4%. Very good business.

And not one conjured up through tapping out numbers on keyboards.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy

I was oversimplfying shortly, but that is basically the long and the short of it.

I'm not saying everything uploaded onto Youtube is correct, but this is enlightening and convincing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVkFb...eature=related
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:31 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=frigilianafreddy;8899767][QUOTE=cricketman;8899422]
The worlds economy relies on infinite growth which is not possible with finite rescources

They borrow at one rate (what they pay on your deposits and the rate from other banks.)

Then they lend it to you. They can borrow at less than 2% at the moment and many mortgages cost over 4%. Very good business.

So when the government borrows from the bank of england, who print the money, at interest. Where does the money come from to pay back the bank of england interest? Its the exact same in the U.S. with the federal reserve. There is never enough money in the system to pay all the interest. Remember, one pound [U]sterling[U] used to be the same value as a pound of sterling silver. Nowadays money is actually worthless. Its value set by energy prices, ie.oil, and who in the world controls most of that? Remember the oil shock of 2008? Expect lots more and worse. I predict $200 oil by 2018. And thats being optomistic.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:39 pm
Family man

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/51712

Read this from the post carbon institute. Some sobering thoughts.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

[QUOTE=frigilianafreddy;8899767][QUOTE=cricketman;8899422]
The worlds economy relies on infinite growth which is not possible with finite rescources

The government require the banks to hold a reserve, the rest can be lent out.
This is a US example but applies to UK although the reserve requirements may be different: http://money.howstuffworks.com/perso...king/bank1.htm

Not only that but thay can also borrow money at cheaper than they can lend out.

Sterling has been on a run up in recent weeks/months, it's just that the euro has also been. We are just about at a critical point in the next few days/weeks.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

The £ is rising sharply against the $ but falling rapidly against the €. That should tell you that the € is spiralling out of control, I can't understand why the eurobanks are crying out for other nations to help reign in currency rises, when they obviously cannot control their own. Yep the € is going skyhigh against other currencies, but what is that going to do for their own manufacturing deficit?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
The £ is rising sharply against the $ but falling rapidly against the €. That should tell you that the € is spiralling out of control, I can't understand why the eurobanks are crying out for other nations to help reign in currency rises, when they obviously cannot control their own. Yep the € is going skyhigh against other currencies, but what is that going to do for their own manufacturing deficit?
I think you've got the analysis upside-down, for me, that means the $ is on the run

Most of exports from Euro-zone countries are to other Euro-zone countries so that wont affect them. Or they are for premium products (think German manufacturing) that isnt so price sensitive
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by cricketman
I think you've got the analysis upside-down, for me, that means the $ is on the run

Most of exports from Euro-zone countries are to other Euro-zone countries so that wont affect them. Or they are for premium products (think German manufacturing) that isnt so price sensitive
Strong currency is bad for exports but there is a currency war going on at present - the US want to devalue their currency to keep their stock market up. However, Japan want to weaken their currency to give their exporters a chance.
The EUR and £ are caught up in the middle to some extent.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
It is indeed!

Everyone is selling USD and the only currency they are buying is EUR and GBP - the YEN is likely to devalue so that's not a good deal.

Unfortunately the EUR is more popular than the GBP as a safe currency so the majority of the buying is going to the EUR - as a result the GBP/EUR rate is suffering even though it is doing well against the USD.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by olivia
Well I can vouch that they do deliver at that price. Not used that particular company but have experience of Crown Currency who are similar and offering 1.23 today for in 31-50 days.
they do have your money for a month. Perhaps they can earn something with it. Considering the size of the company they could have many millions of other peoples money on deposit all the time. Delivery in cash by post is a bit scary for large sums.
Is this the same company? In which case, yes, it was too good to be true!

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargain...n_page_id=1093
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:32 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. and I bet they were one of the sites recommending this company recently!

Pound to Euro 1.149 on the news....demonstrates what the "experts" knew when they were predicting 1.25 to 1.30 by Autumn
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yeah. and I bet they were one of the sites recommending this company recently!

Pound to Euro 1.149 on the news....demonstrates what the "experts" knew when they were predicting 1.25 to 1.30 by Autumn
It's actually at a critical point right now - next few weeks will tell the tale.
"Experts" are simply trying to promote their own hedge funds. If they get lucky on TV with their call, think how much money gets funneled into their hedge fund all of a sudden because people think they are experts.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:46 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
It's actually at a critical point right now - next few weeks will tell the tale.
"Experts" are simply trying to promote their own hedge funds. If they get lucky on TV with their call, think how much money gets funneled into their hedge fund all of a sudden because people think they are experts.
I think Jacky was talking about certain "experts" on here, who were predicting a rise in the pound merely because the Conservatives came to power after the election To be fair to them, the Lib Dems are involved too, so it's probably Cleggy's fault!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.