Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sterling in freefall

Sterling in freefall

Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:28 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sterling in freefall

Just generally really, some of the finance forums were saying it too. I think everyone thought that it would be like the old Thatcherite days when the pound was strong. I didn't think this fall would happen though. Maybe because it's not a true conservative Government. Someone said on TV tonight "It's NOT a conservative Government it is a coalition Government of Liberal/conservatives with the emphasis being on the LIBERAL."
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

I did refrain from replying earlier but this report and statement expected today, actuallly says exactly what I was getting at a few post back...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101007/...interest_rates

The euro being so strong is damaging europes abilility to function and export. Lower its rate and things will get better and of course give us a better £/€ exchange rate into the bargain.

Will it happen? nope I don't think so..
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:12 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

It seems as though things are beginning to unravel in the UK. We've just found out that UK house prices fell 3.6% in September, which is apparently the biggest fall since the records were compiled. What that means for the wider economy is open to debate however.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11491015

The 3.6% drop was the biggest fall in month-on-month prices since the figures were first compiled in 1983.

Low transaction levels in the housing market meant that there was volatility in the month-on-month measure of house prices, Halifax's housing economist Martin Ellis said.

However, he said that an increased number of properties available for sale in recent months had pushed down prices.

This had come at the same time as demand for homes had fallen owing to "renewed uncertainty" about the economy and jobs, Mr Ellis said.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:24 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

A word of warning to those with a nervous disposition: Do not check the exchange rate today!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
I did refrain from replying earlier but this report and statement expected today, actuallly says exactly what I was getting at a few post back...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101007/...interest_rates

The euro being so strong is damaging europes abilility to function and export. Lower its rate and things will get better and of course give us a better £/€ exchange rate into the bargain.

Will it happen? nope I don't think so..
Yes you are right in this repect

You used the phrase "the Euro is spiralling out of control" which made me think you meant the Euro was getting weaker when it fact it is getting stronger against the pound and dollar.

There are ups and downs to being relatively weaker or stronger in any currency, but it is a big jump to say the Euro is in a worse position than the pound or dollar at the moment. They are all scr*wed, it is a matter of degrees.

The pound is approaching 1.13 euros this morning, will it go any lower!?
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by HBG
A word of warning to those with a nervous disposition: Do not check the exchange rate today!
Today is full of housing news, interest rate decisions, etc.
Suggest you check Monday when it has settled.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by HBG
Unfortunately, I did........I believe it will be worse before it improves.

I did read, a week or so ago that besides the difficulties between the US dollar and Japanese yen, there are other currencies, especially the South American ones which are not helping matters, as the are trying to stabilise their own countries wows. Not sure if this is true, but it maybe another factor in why the euro is so strong.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:03 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It seems as though things are beginning to unravel in the UK. We've just found out that UK house prices fell 3.6% in September, which is apparently the biggest fall since the records were compiled. What that means for the wider economy is open to debate however.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11491015
On the other hand another building society says houses have increased 0.1%

Think the pound/euro may be really heading for parity.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:25 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble is, of course, that we’re living longer (I’ve just heard a government minister say so).

I think it’s a forward projection. The poorer we get, the less fatty and expensive foods we eat and growing our own vegetables can only be a good thing. And we won’t be able to smoke or drink. No wonder we’re all going to live longer.

With the pound at parity, I’ll be brewing my own wine too, is there such a thing as carrot wine? I’m already looking around for a wine-making kit and I wonder of I can grow tobacco plants? I know you can grow the nasty stuff, a Spanish guy round the corner has got a greenhouse full of it. He’s the happiest man around.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:34 am
Banned

graph for the last 12 hours

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR
Old Oct 7th 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The one month figure is even more startling on that graph. Then take a look at the one year one also. We are almost back to the point we were 12 months ago. After getting everyone's hopes up that the £ was on a gradual climb back, the last month has seen it getting kicked in the teeth again.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 1:24 pm
Banned

The 10 year graph is interesting, the rate hit 1.73 in 2001 No wonder we felt well-off then and things were much cheaper too. Seems to have been 2008 when things went wrong.

Anyone who bought at those rates and want to sell could still come out without a loss even if they reduced by 30%
Old Oct 7th 2010, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The 10 year graph is interesting, the rate hit 1.73 in 2001 No wonder we felt well-off then and things were much cheaper too. Seems to have been 2008 when things went wrong.

Anyone who bought at those rates and want to sell could still come out without a loss even if they reduced by 30%
What was the exchange rate for the £ when the Euro was first introduced?
Old Oct 7th 2010, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
The one month figure is even more startling on that graph. Then take a look at the one year one also. We are almost back to the point we were 12 months ago. After getting everyone's hopes up that the £ was on a gradual climb back, the last month has seen it getting kicked in the teeth again.
As an expert, I can tell you it (the euro) will fall back down over the next 2 weeks and on same as the stock markets.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Simple reason why the £ weak and € strong. Uk base rate 0.5%. ECB base rate 1%

Now if you're an international bank wanting to earn a bit of interest where do you stick your money. UK? or Euro?

Yes, you stick it in the euro

And to do that you buy trillions of euros and sell trillions of pounds. And therefore the euro is strong and the pound weak.

Once UK rates go up to eurozone rates (one or two years) the exchange rate will soon get back to the 1.30s or above.

Until then keep the champagne in the fridge and stick to the cava.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.