Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Start of a new life....

Start of a new life....

Old Feb 12th 2015, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Start of a new life....

Originally Posted by time4tea
No one has mentioned climate. You say you want to winter in Spain and are looking from Barcelona down. Well, I can tell you that I used to live in Catalonia and the winters there can be comparible with the UK. Generally, wet and windy and COLD. So if its a winter retreat youre after, I'd say you need to be looking further south, Murcia and down would be my advice.

Cars. You can get pretty amazing long term hire deals in some areas, but that's something you need to check out, however you CANT buy a car here unless you register as a Spanish resident, that will in turn make you liable for local taxes, etc. Another idea is to buy a UK registered car and take it back every 6 months, much easier on the paperwork. You can easily insure a UK car in Spain and you may be lucky enough to find a left hand drive model as well.

Renting- The normal terms are 6 or 11 months, so a 6 month rent is perfectly normal and doable. Also, as youll be renting off peek, you should be able to get a good deal as many properties are empty for the quite part of the year. However, have you considered the hasstle and upheaval of actually doing this EVERY year? I recently moved from Catalonia to the Costa Del Sol and I found the entire process to be a nightmare, the thought of willingly doing it yearly seems a bit harsh.
Sorry absolutely disagree! I am with the latest posting. We have taken advice here on this forum and then with an abogado in Javea. He vetted our contract yes six or twelve months and renewable. However and repeating the comment eleven months gives you nothing.

We had one in 2013 and it was a disaster this time above board and in tune with the law.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 6:04 am
Just Joined

time4tea is an unknown quantity at this point

Disagree with what? The weather? The rental market? Sorry, but I've lived in Spain for 5 years, including 2 years in Catalonia and can only offer my opinion and advise. I recently moved and spent ALOT of time with various estate agents before finally signing for our present apartment and was told that the standard contract is 6 or 11 months. 12 month or more contracts are available but so much of this market is geared to the holiday and expat market that the 6 and 11 mth ones are more common. In short, I was reassuring that OP that 6 month contracts are possible and indeed common. I fail to see what about that you could disagree with.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

The use of 'normal terms are six or eleven months' Please believe me I was in agreement with that until 2013 and it is not normal. The law changed I think in mid-July 2014. I have my lawyers report shall I let you have it.

I do not wish to make a big issue of this but there is someone on this site called 'Fred' and let us see what he says.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 6:23 am
Just Joined

lordhowe is an unknown quantity at this point

No one has mentioned climate. You say you want to winter in Spain and are looking from Barcelona down. Well, I can tell you that I used to live in Catalonia and the winters there can be comparible with the UK. Generally, wet and windy and COLD. So if its a winter retreat youre after, I'd say you need to be looking further south, Murcia and down would be my advice.

Cars. You can get pretty amazing long term hire deals in some areas, but that's something you need to check out, however you CANT buy a car here unless you register as a Spanish resident, that will in turn make you liable for local taxes, etc. Another idea is to buy a UK registered car and take it back every 6 months, much easier on the paperwork. You can easily insure a UK car in Spain and you may be lucky enough to find a left hand drive model as well.

Renting- The normal terms are 6 or 11 months, so a 6 month rent is perfectly normal and doable. Also, as youll be renting off peek, you should be able to get a good deal as many properties are empty for the quite part of the year. However, have you considered the hasstle and upheaval of actually doing this EVERY year? I recently moved from Catalonia to the Costa Del Sol and I found the entire process to be a nightmare, the thought of willingly doing it yearly seems a bit harsh.
Hang on if you rent do you not pay suma? so why not get a car? if you live under the 6 month rule why not pay non resident tax? then get a car, if you live in spain register and pay your tax then get a car.

so are you saying they can not get a car if they rent?
Old Feb 12th 2015, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Note, you do not have to register as a "Spanish resident" to buy a car.

....however you CANT buy a car here unless you register as a Spanish resident...
Old Feb 12th 2015, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Boneyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your advice and help. Time4tea, I wondered if you lived in Barcelona itself? We realise that the weather in Catalonia is cooler than down south further but having put up with winters here in Canada, it wont be a surprise. This trip is mainly to have a good look around hopefully decide where we would like to settle. We like the hustle and bustle of a larger city but long term I'm sure that might change. From what we have read on this forum, buying in Spain definitely has it pros and cons. For us, renting gives us the freedom to move around for the next while but on the other hand, there is nothing like owning your own home. Prices for property seem really cheap but it seems if you ever decide to sell, that might not be so easy? We wondered what percentage of the people on this forum rent or own their property? Also, what is the cost to buy or rent a villa with pool in the Murcia region? Sea view included!!
Old Feb 12th 2015, 5:35 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in Catalonia and the winters there can be comparible with the UK.
... in February.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I recently moved and spent ALOT of time with various estate agents before finally signing for our present apartment and was told that the standard contract is 6 or 11 months. .
That's what the dodgy estate agents tell the guiris who havent got a clue

I have lived and rented in Catalunya, Costa del sol and Asturias and I can tell you that a 3 or 5 year contract is legal and standard

As for the weather, Catalunya is a big place with 3 different climate systems. On the Coast the winters are sunny and much warmer than the UK, maybe by 5-10c. We lived in an old flat with no central heating and that was freezing, but that is a different issue
Old Feb 12th 2015, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boneyboy
Thanks everyone for your advice and help. Time4tea, I wondered if you lived in Barcelona itself? We realise that the weather in Catalonia is cooler than down south further but having put up with winters here in Canada, it wont be a surprise. This trip is mainly to have a good look around hopefully decide where we would like to settle. We like the hustle and bustle of a larger city but long term I'm sure that might change. From what we have read on this forum, buying in Spain definitely has it pros and cons. For us, renting gives us the freedom to move around for the next while but on the other hand, there is nothing like owning your own home. Prices for property seem really cheap but it seems if you ever decide to sell, that might not be so easy? We wondered what percentage of the people on this forum rent or own their property? Also, what is the cost to buy or rent a villa with pool in the Murcia region? Sea view included!!
The old climate talk. As cricketman said, you have different climates in Catalunya. We have a place 7 km from the coast, not far from Lloret/Blanes and it would be a lot milder than inland. You still have plenty of sunshine and it can get cold during night, but certainly not that cold. It's around 15 degrees now, but it's still nice to have a fire on in winter and you wouldn't have water shortages like places further south. If you're considering a permanent move, you don't want to live in a place that's always like a desert. It's nice to have a bit of green and Barcelona is just a short drive away. The Costa Brava doesn't have empty ugly high rise buildings like other parts of the country and you can still find affordable property too.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The old climate talk. As cricketman said, you have different climates in Catalunya. We have a place 7 km from the coast, not far from Lloret/Blanes and it would be a lot milder than inland. You still have plenty of sunshine and it can get cold during night, but certainly not that cold. It's around 15 degrees now, but it's still nice to have a fire on in winter and you wouldn't have water shortages like places further south. If you're considering a permanent move, you don't want to live in a place that's always like a desert. It's nice to have a bit of green and Barcelona is just a short drive away. The Costa Brava doesn't have empty ugly high rise buildings like other parts of the country and you can still find affordable property too.
I took a day trip to Blanes a couple of times when I lived in Barcelona. The beach was very nice and I enjoying snorking to see the fish in the sea

Lloret de mar is ugly but is the exception rather than the rule. The Costa Brava more or less starts in Blanes and gets better looking (but more expensive) the further North you go

A completely different life to living in the Costa del sol though which can be rather sterile and just plain weird
Old Feb 12th 2015, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I took a day trip to Blanes a couple of times when I lived in Barcelona. The beach was very nice and I enjoying snorking to see the fish in the sea

Lloret de mar is ugly but is the exception rather than the rule. The Costa Brava more or less starts in Blanes and gets better looking (but more expensive) the further North you go

A completely different life to living in the Costa del sol though which can be rather sterile and just plain weird
The beach is very nice and although Lloret gets pretty busy during summer and I had the same thoughts at first, just a few minutes away you can escape the madness and have amazing walks. I also like that it's nice and green with mature trees. This is actually just outside Lloret.
Attached Thumbnails Start of a new life....-street.jpg  
Old Feb 12th 2015, 11:41 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

That's what the dodgy estate agents tell the guiris who havent got a clue

I have lived and rented in Catalunya, Costa del sol and Asturias and I can tell you that a 3 or 5 year contract is legal and standard

As for the weather, Catalunya is a big place with 3 different climate systems. On the Coast the winters are sunny and much warmer than the UK, maybe by 5-10c. We lived in an old flat with no central heating and that was freezing, but that is a different issue
Not any more - it changed last year!

Long term contracts are now 6 or 12 months (automatically) renewable up to 3 years (used to be 5). Must be in Spanish blah, blah, blah ...
Old Feb 13th 2015, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Not any more - it changed last year!

Long term contracts are now 6 or 12 months (automatically) renewable up to 3 years (used to be 5). Must be in Spanish blah, blah, blah ...
Yes but the point is that you are guarenteed to have the property for at least 3 years unless you don't want it, in which case you can get out after either 6 or 12 months
Old Feb 13th 2015, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boneyboy
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a few questions I wondered if I could get answered by those that have already made this journey. My wife and I (no kids) presently live in Canada, both of us born in the UK. I am retiring in June and we are considering moving back to Europe and settling in Spain. We've had enough of the winters here and having spent many vacations in Spain, we feel it will be the right place for us due to the better climate and proximity to the UK where we have family. We are planning to go over this summer and rent, whilst touring around deciding where to settle. We intend to look from Barcelona down to Malaga as there is lots of places we haven't seen. When we rent accommodation, is 6 months viable or will the landlord want a year? I was also wondering about transportation for us to get around. Would it be best to just buy a car or rent when we need one? Any suggestions? We won't need to work and speak a little Spanish. Once we live in Spain permanently, we will do all we can to become fluent. I regards to a phone, I have a unlocked Iphone which I should be able to use in Europe?
Thanks for listening, and any suggestions on places to look out for or any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have you visited the Canary Islands? You don't get winters there as such.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 5:21 am
Just Joined

time4tea is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes but the point is that you are guarenteed to have the property for at least 3 years unless you don't want it, in which case you can get out after either 6 or 12 months
Yes, thats what I was told and what I was passing on. As for getting a car, no, the two are obviously not linked, of course you can get a car if you rent but ONLY if you are registered in Spain. You cant simply buy a car and send off the registration document regardless of who you are like you can in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.