Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Start of a new life....

Start of a new life....

Old Feb 13th 2015, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Start of a new life....

A couple of things, we had to provide a passport and a document re where we lived in order to get our sims, on pay as you go. Last year we thought we had sold our house but it fell through due to the demise of one of the buyers. We had intended to move to another area and managed to find a place to rent, however as it was a tourist area it was not very easy in September to get it for a reasonable price. Many still wanted summer season prices and would only drop the prices after October. June may be difficult in coastal areas to find a place for 6 months without paying a fortune. We contacted 30 or so owners in the area between Miami Platje and Calafels before we found one at a reasonable price for 3 months. As for the car you need a recent padron certificate at least that is what we have found buying 2 cars in the last 2 years (Malaga and Seville) maybe other areas are different..
Good luck
M
Old Feb 14th 2015, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what you're saying here. It's maybe a question of exactly what "registered" means. Earlier you said "Spanish resident" which I understood to mean registered as a resident in Spain.

You do not have to be registered as resident in Spain to buy a car. All you need is an NIE number and you can get one of those very easily.

Originally Posted by time4tea
As for getting a car, no, the two are obviously not linked, of course you can get a car if you rent but ONLY if you are registered in Spain. You cant simply buy a car and send off the registration document regardless of who you are like you can in the UK.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 3:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
I'm not sure what you're saying here. It's maybe a question of exactly what "registered" means. Earlier you said "Spanish resident" which I understood to mean registered as a resident in Spain.

You do not have to be registered as resident in Spain to buy a car. All you need is an NIE number and you can get one of those very easily.
However in some areas they do ask for more. When we registered our car (Valencia Region), the garage couldnt actually register it properly with Trafico until we gave them a copy of our padron. I've heard of people before having to also produce their residencia, but of course that would screw anyone who didnt live here and just wanted a car for when they come to their holiday home. It seems to vary, but then thats no suprise is it
Old Feb 14th 2015, 3:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boneyboy
I have a unlocked Iphone which I should be able to use in Europe?
Just as an aside, I bought an unlocked iPhone from Apple, and then went to Orange as a supplier. Suprisingly when I tried to use another SIM in there, it wouldnt work as Orange had locked it to them. I had to pay Orange to unlock it! Worth checking with another SIM .
Old Feb 14th 2015, 3:32 am
Just Joined

time4tea is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I'm only going from personal experience and what friends of mine have done. It does seem to vary from province to province, basically, this is Spain and nothing is simple! The original point still stands though, you can't buy a car here if you are a casual part time visitor with no official Spanish registration of any kind. Some will just need an NIE, some will have to go the whole residencia route, either way, don't think you can walk into a Spanish car lot with a wad of Euros and drive away like you can in the UK, it simply isn't possible.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 3:35 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously doubt that anyone not UK-resident or otherwise tax-registered in some way could simply walk up, buy a car, licence it in their name, and legally drive it on UK roads.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Being registered at the town hall does not necessarily mean you are a resident but you need an NIE, in the case of vehicle registration it appears that they need a Spanish address too. I was surprised to receive a letter from the DGT which wasn't a fine, it contained a document regarding the vehicle details, ITV and insurance policy details too. All these details are available to the Police etc doing spot checks.
Recently I have received stuff from a certain Claire offering car rentals from 2 Euros a day, may be worth checking out.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have a padron and I don't know what one looks like. I wasn't asked for a padron or a residencia (don't know what one of those looks like either). The garage successfully registered the car. In the Valencia region.

I use it when visiting my home in Spain currently for fewer than 6 months of the year. All very simple and straightforward. Apologies once again to those of you who like to think everything in Spain is so very very difficult.

Last edited by Horlics; Feb 14th 2015 at 6:20 am.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

I won't eat breakfast at a local eatery because it's 2 Euros.

I wouldn't drive a car offered at 2 Euros! Although I suspect that checking it out will reveal a few compulsory "extras".

What's the phrase? Reassuringly expensive.

Your comments on what's needed to register a car were spot on.

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Recently I have received stuff from a certain Claire offering car rentals from 2 Euros a day, may be worth checking out.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 11:47 am
Senior Moment

I didn't have a padron and I don't know what one looks like. I wasn't asked for a padron or a residencia (don't know what one of those looks like either). The garage successfully registered the car. In the Valencia region.

I use it when visiting my home in Spain currently for fewer than 6 months of the year. All very simple and straightforward. Apologies once again to those of you who like to think everything in Spain is so very very difficult.
No ... it seems to be you that thinks that everything is very easy

As I said, it seems to vary ...... and you just proved the point. That in itself makes things difficult for people because one never quite knows what the requirement is going to be.

For instance ... according to the Policia locally in La Font Den Carros, when you are driving a car you must have your padron with you to produce if asked. If you aint got one, dont go to La Font den Carros
Old Feb 14th 2015, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

I do find many things easy. Maybe it's an attitude thing.

As for La Font den Carros, is that where you are Mitzy?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No ... it seems to be you that thinks that everything is very easy

As I said, it seems to vary ...... and you just proved the point. That in itself makes things difficult for people because one never quite knows what the requirement is going to be.

For instance ... according to the Policia locally in La Font Den Carros, when you are driving a car you must have your padron with you to produce if asked. If you aint got one, dont go to La Font den Carros

Last edited by Horlics; Feb 14th 2015 at 12:16 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

time4tea is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amideislas
Seriously doubt that anyone not UK-resident or otherwise tax-registered in some way could simply walk up, buy a car, licence it in their name, and legally drive it on UK roads.
Of course they can, the UK has one of the easiest systems in Europe. All you need to do to buy a car is agree the sale with the seller. Then, you sign the registration document (also known as the 'V5' due to it's reference number) and fill out a name and address. Then it is the sellers responsibility to post the completed form off to the DVLA in Swansea and you will receive your new copy in your name in due course. At no point does the buyer have to prove to the seller who they are or that their details are correct. Anyone with a valid driving licence can insure a car in the uk, all that is required is that the vehicle is legal in its own right, so it is easy for a non UK citizen to buy, own and run a car perfectly legally in the UK without having to register as a UK resident. All they need is the use of a UK address, which unless they are living in a cardboard box, they will have.

Compared to that, Spain is a hell of a lot more complicated and can be quite a shock to someone used to the British way of doing things!
Old Feb 14th 2015, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have bought cars in the UK, Germany, Italy and Spain, There is nothing to compare to the UK. Everywhere there are significant costs and complications.
Recently I saw a car on the british TV program where one guy buys a car and the other does it up to sell and hopefully make a profit. The car was a Uracco on Italian plates and was being sold by a Pole in Poland. The car had been there 10 years. The plates being Italian are the property of the state, the fact that it had plates and had not had the Property tax paid for at least 10 years would mean that there is a horrendous fine lying in wait and growing for the next owner etc. I had an outstanding mispayment of 1.50 Euros on a 650cc car, (Mehari), in 10 years this became 300 Euros without any notification.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
I have bought cars in the UK, Germany, Italy and Spain, There is nothing to compare to the UK. Everywhere there are significant costs and complications.
I'd be very interested to know what the significant costs and complications in Spain are?

My experience was as follows:
  1. Browse Internet for details of list prices and discover that the Ford I want is approx. 1k cheaper in Spain than in the UK
  2. Go to dealer, test and then agree to buy particular model
  3. Give my NIE and address of a friend (because I hadn't completed on my house yet)
  4. Two weeks later, make bank transfer in the morning and in the afternoon walk into dealer and collect the car, together will all documentation as it has been registered, taxed etc. by the dealer

I've done a few difficult and costly things in my time, but buying a car in Spain wasn't one of them.

Is it more difficult when buying 2nd hand?
Old Feb 14th 2015, 8:40 pm
Senior Moment

I do find many things easy. Maybe it's an attitude thing.

As for La Font den Carros, is that where you are Mitzy?
I think many find it different when they actually live full time in Spain, as there are a lot of hoops to jump though getting things done. It's not attitude really. It's when frustration takes over often

La Font D'en Carros was our local town, and then Oliva. Up in the hills, overlooking Gandia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.