Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Start of a new life....

Start of a new life....

Old Feb 16th 2015, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Start of a new life....

When buying I took the lawyers advice which is that it wasn't necessary to do so. Because I haven't looked at it closely I don't know in what way I would be helping the town hall if I did register. What's your opinion of the benefit to them of me doing so and the hassle and cost to me?

I don't want that to sound like I am immediately thinking of avoiding cost. My taxes here are really low and I wouldn't mind paying more if it helps.

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thats fair enough, we shouldnt knock it if you got away light :-). Like you, I can't see any reason for the difference but hwey ... thats Spain :-)

Just out of interest .... if you own a place did you ever consider getting a padron to help the town hall out?
Old Feb 16th 2015, 8:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
When buying I took the lawyers advice which is that it wasn't necessary to do so. Because I haven't looked at it closely I don't know in what way I would be helping the town hall if I did register. What's your opinion of the benefit to them of me doing so and the hassle and cost to me?

I don't want that to sound like I am immediately thinking of avoiding cost. My taxes here are really low and I wouldn't mind paying more if it helps.
I cannot remember whether you are resident or not. You should only sign on the padron if you are resident, you should not sign on if you are non resident. The cost is only a few euros and the town hall gains money from the government for each person signed on so it benefits their ability to put in resources. Some town hall were encouraging non residents to sign on in order to gain resources but they should not have done so and had to remove these people which made it look like there was a mass exodus but there was not.

Rosemary
Old Feb 16th 2015, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rosemary,

I'm not resident at the moment. According to the year planner for this year, I'll be here just short of 5 months if all goes to plan, possibly a little longer. I might move here full time from 2017.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 9:20 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
Hi Rosemary,

I'm not resident at the moment. According to the year planner for this year, I'll be here just short of 5 months if all goes to plan, possibly a little longer. I might move here full time from 2017.
Then that is when you should sign onto the padron. Good luck with your plans. We were due to come here full time in 2010 but my husband managed to take early retirement in 2006 so we came then.

Rosemary
Old Feb 16th 2015, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rosemary,

The plans are very fluid. I've kind of retired but spend my months in the UK involved in a couple of interesting projects. The 5+ months here in Spain keeps the UK blues away until I eventually get out here for longer.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 5:43 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

What is the actual rule about signing on the padron - does any one know?

What I mean is that after 90 days your are considered resident and should sign on the list of foreigners. After 6 months here, you are considered tax resident but that has nothing to do with being habitually resident.

So, when is one supposed to sign on the padron? Logic would suggest that it's after 6 months because Spain then becomes your main residence.

In some areas, one cannot sign on the list of foreigners without first being on the padron - so in that case the 90 day rule seems to apply.

... very confused ...
Old Feb 17th 2015, 7:37 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

What I mean is that after 90 days your are considered resident and should sign on the list of foreigners. After 6 months here, you are considered tax resident but that has nothing to do with being habitually resident.

So, when is one supposed to sign on the padron? Logic would suggest that it's after 6 months because Spain then becomes your main residence.

In some areas, one cannot sign on the list of foreigners without first being on the padron - so in that case the 90 day rule seems to apply.

... very confused ...
! Spanish News Today - How To Sign On To The Municipal Padron In Spain ( Padrón)

or the usual helpful specific gov.uk info
https://www.gov.uk/residency-requirements-in-spain
Old Feb 20th 2015, 9:39 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

... very confused ...
I have posted many times that you are not considered resident after 90 days. Why do you find it impossible to accept that and keep posting to the contrary?

If you can quote some official document or law that confirms your position I would appreciate it.

You become tax resident after 6 months in one year in Spain and you will then be deemed to be habitually resident.

As far as the Padron is concerned, you are only eligible to sign on when you become habitually resident.

If you want to see the rules in full look at.

Ley 7/1985, de 2 de abril, reguladora de las Bases del Régimen Local. TÍTULO II. El Municipio.

You do not have to have registered on the Padron to sign onto the list of foreigners although I accept that in some locations the authorities have incorrectly asked for that, much the same as where they have asked for photographs with the application.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

We found eight years ago in both Benalmadena and Torremolinos it was necessary to sign on at the padron in order to get a doctor. I don't remember the procedure but it was painless in Torremolinos. In Benalmadena it was a nightmare,and there was a big form to fill in. We were not considered resident until we had worked here for a year or so and in the time before actually working we only got free medical appointments to see the doctor, nothing else.
We appeared to become residents when we started paying tax here.
Now we get all the discounts as residents and we had to go and renew the Padron a few weeks ago. EU ruling for foreigners???
Old Feb 20th 2015, 7:33 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Changing driving licenses:

UK to Spanish: medical test, 2 visits to trafico, used a gestor - cost hundreds took months.

Spanish back to UK: Fill in form D1, send to licensing authority with a photo, cost zero.