Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Torture ?

Wikiposts

Spanish Torture ?

Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Torture ?

Originally Posted by cricketman
It's not so black and white. Culturally, Russia is thought of as part of the Western World as I thought. During the Cold War, for political reasons they were ostrified

Doesn't that mean: turned to bone ?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 2:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman
Bla Bla bla ...for political reasons they were ostrified bla bla bla
Its when you post words like the one above that I really doubt that you are the journalist you claim to be
Old Mar 29th 2013, 3:05 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
Its when you post words like the one above that I really doubt that you are the journalist you claim to be
the web versions of most of the UK's newspapers are littered with them every day.

whatever happened to standards ??
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:52 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody notice the ?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Nobody notice the ?
Yes.

I think it's rather a nice word. It could mean being turned into an oyster.

The other day we had inflation whittering away at our savings, but nobody (else?) picked that up ...
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Domino
the web versions of most of the UK's newspapers are littered with them every day.

whatever happened to standards ??
I know don't get me started ! I am so fed up with the standards of journalism i.e The other day in The Local.es there was a report about thieves on the Madrid metro and the lead sentence had this gem 'caught four pickpocketing pests'

Why on earth do they need to use the totally unnecessary adjective 'pests'

For heavens sake we know pickpockets are pests !

I've noticed this general trend since a few years. From time to time I look at the local paper thats published in the area I originally came from and its exactly the same, bad spelling, stupid unnecessary adjectives and just generally sloppy writing.

I think its all the teachers fault personally ;-)
Old Mar 30th 2013, 12:03 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
I know don't get me started ! I am so fed up with the standards of journalism i.e The other day in The Local.es there was a report about thieves on the Madrid metro and the lead sentence had this gem 'caught four pickpocketing pests'

I've noticed this general trend since a few years. From time to time I look at the local paper thats published in the area I originally came from and its exactly the same, bad spelling, stupid unnecessary adjectives and just generally sloppy writing.

I'd argue that "journalism" has transformed from a respectable and academic profession, into a platform to maximise revenue through sensationalism.

Not all societies are equally drawn to sensationalism, and some still hold journalists to fairly high standards, but the UK has become one that is so addicted to sensationalism, that if a news story fails to be maximally sensationalised, it seems few of us will pay any attention, which I'd argue explains a lot about the state of UK politics.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 12:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by amideislas
I'd argue that "journalism" has transformed from a respectable and academic profession, into a platform to maximise revenue through sensationalism.

Not all societies are equally drawn to sensationalism, and some still hold journalists to fairly high standards, but the UK has become one that is so addicted to sensationalism, that if a news story fails to be maximally sensationalised, it seems few of us will pay any attention, which I'd argue explains a lot about the state of UK politics.
What an excellent analysis (The teacher comment was tongue in cheek) I must say I really enjoy your posts :-)
\
You always give an opinion in a very reasonable manner without the drama
Old Mar 30th 2013, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
The other day in The Local.es there was a report about thieves on the Madrid metro and the lead sentence had this gem 'caught four pickpocketing pests'

Pests is the noun here. Pickpocketing is the adjective.

See, I can be pedantic too ...
Old Mar 30th 2013, 12:18 am
Account Closed

Oops my mistake :-(

Glad you are around to check up though :-)
Old Mar 30th 2013, 2:32 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh

You have violated Muphry's Law on more than one occasion there mfh
Old Mar 30th 2013, 3:17 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

I wouldn't mind so much the sensationalism, although so much of it is contrived from a mole hill into a mountain, but it would be nice to get a follow up or two afterwards.
But no, after hitting us with the "sensation of the day" its on to something else totally unrelated.

I doubt very much there is now a reporter of the calibre of Woodward and Bernstein who would be capable of teasing out the information, being able to run a follow up and maintain the interest they did.
Or perhaps it is just the Man at the Top who wants his "K" and doesn't want to rock the boat.

And the standard of "journalism" or copywriting or whatever you wish to call it in journals and advertising is going down the tubes.