Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Torture ?

Wikiposts

Spanish Torture ?

Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:18 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish Torture ?

http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/03/17/...10_534617.html

There's been some horrific clips of this affair shown on some Spanish TV news channels the last few hours, as bad as anything I've ever seen with regard to Iraq.

I get the impression it may now have been censored.
The clip in this link certainly has been and doesn't really show anything at all, nor in the Spanish version of El Pais either.

Can't say I'm surprised if it has been, it was really shocking by any standards.
Wonder if anyone else watched it on Spanish news ?

Having just seen the TV news again, it's definitely been toned down quite a bit there, as well now.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Torture ?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/03/17/...10_534617.html

There's been some horrific clips of this affair shown on some Spanish TV news channels the last few hours, as bad as anything I've ever seen with regard to Iraq.

I get the impression it may now have been censored.
The clip in this link certainly has been and doesn't really show anything at all, nor in the Spanish version of El Pais either.

Can't say I'm surprised if it has been, it was really shocking by any standards.
Wonder if anyone else watched it on Spanish news ?

Having just seen the TV news again, it's definitely been toned down quite a bit there, as well now.

More assault than torture as I dont think they were trying to obtain information , if youd just watched your mates vaporise in an IED you may well want to do the same or worse, during basic training we received similar beatings from corporals who were on our side! ,they often resulted in hospital visits
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:42 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
More assault than torture as I dont think they were trying to obtain information , if youd just watched your mates vaporise in an IED you may well want to do the same or worse, during basic training we received similar beatings from corporals who were on our side! ,they often resulted in hospital visits
I don't agree. It certainly appeared to be much much more than assault and simple revenge. I can only guess that the reason they used such unusual and obnoxious extreme torture methods was to obtain information.

However one thing it has proved to me, that I already strongly suspected is that censorship is definitely alive and well here in Spain.

The shocking scenes disappeared from viewing almost as quickly as they had appeared and wether they were even shown in full graphic horrendous detail in the first place on National channels, I know not, as I watched it on the main Valenciano channel before it disappeared as quickly as it had arrived.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree. It certainly appeared to be much much more than assault and simple revenge. I can only guess that the reason they used such unusual and obnoxious extreme torture methods was to obtain information.

However one thing it has proved to me, that I already strongly suspected is that censorship is definitely alive and well here in Spain.

The shocking scenes disappeared from viewing almost as quickly as they had appeared and wether they were even shown in full graphic horrendous detail in the first place on National channels, I know not, as I watched it on the main Valenciano channel before it disappeared as quickly as it had arrived.
The video was "leaked" to El Pais and is still there on El Pais website if anyone wants to be put off their lunch.

They showed clips from it on the Noticias 24 channel on Sunday, and it was in other Spanish papers too.

It's currently being investigated by the defence department to see whether it is genuine. Of course, the Spanish soldiers were working alongside the British and American troops in 2004, so they probably used the same interrogation methods, and worse. The then president of Spain, José María Aznar, was a big buddy of Bush and Blair.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't really see what the fuss is about.We train young men and women (usually and I stress usually) the least educated, to be killers then complain when they aren't sure when to stop.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Can't really see what the fuss is about.We train young men and women (usually and I stress usually) the least educated, to be killers then complain when they aren't sure when to stop.
Scared there will be a heli hovering over your back yard?
Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

The "fuss" is because it shows actions which are prohibited in the Spanish code of conduct for handling prisoners, presumably based on the Geneva convention. It's particularly sensitive here because of the things that went on during and after the civil war. I don't think there will be a deliberate cover-up as Dick is suggesting, at least I hope not.

Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:29 am
On the road again.

A deliberate cover-up is one thing.
Censorship for what may or may not be justifiable reasons another.
After all,it's a bit late for a cover up after so many people have seen the footage, assuming it's genuine of course.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

A deliberate cover-up is one thing.
Censorship for what may or may not be justifiable reasons another.
After all,it's a bit late for a cover up after so many people have seen the footage, assuming it's genuine of course.
It was only a 40-second video in the first place so not much of it can have been cut, if indeed it was. Spanish TV isn't for the squeamish at the best of times, they way they show bits of body parts etc at road accident scenes!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:28 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
It was only a 40-second video in the first place so not much of it can have been cut, if indeed it was. Spanish TV isn't for the squeamish at the best of times, they way they show bits of body parts etc at road accident scenes!
The scenes that were shown in those 40 secs, if that's what it was, were more than enough for me !

I've seen a few shots and brief clips on various news channels today, but nothing quite as horrific as what was shown last night, so I presume most of the channels are censoring at least some of it for whatever reason.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Not a very educated response , many who serve are uni graduates , many go on to be very successful in industry, medicine, security and so on , what have you achieved to make you such a smart cookie?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rotor
Not a very educated response , many who serve are uni graduates , many go on to be very successful in industry, medicine, security and so on , what have you achieved to make you such a smart cookie?
You may have missed the fact that I stressed usually as I am aware that the Spanish armed forces does have graduates in it's ranks.As for me,we live in a world where my Ph.D. is of little value.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

You may have missed the fact that I stressed usually as I am aware that the Spanish armed forces does have graduates in it's ranks.As for me,we live in a world where my Ph.D. is of little value.

So why did you take an obsolete subject ?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
The "fuss" is because it shows actions which are prohibited in the Spanish code of conduct for handling prisoners, presumably based on the Geneva convention. It's particularly sensitive here because of the things that went on during and after the civil war. I don't think there will be a deliberate cover-up as Dick is suggesting, at least I hope not.

http://ep01.epimg.net/politica/image...rio_normal.png
I was being slightly ironic,but the main point of my post was the surprise that society shows when the overt violence we expect from soldiers in the field changes to something else.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

I was being slightly ironic,but the main point of my post was the surprise that society shows when the overt violence we expect from soldiers in the field changes to something else.
Oh I agree totally - they are brainwashed (sorry, trained) to be violent and amoral in order to persuade them to kill strangers. I don't think that's a natural human instinct, regardless of what social class you come from or your educational background.

I expect the outcome of this will be that they punish a scapegoat or two, like that American woman at Abu Graib, then things will just carry on as usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.