Spanish ITV

Old May 5th 2006, 8:33 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish ITV

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
i know, you said it on this thread i´ve emailed her and i will post her reply - lets see if she has any good sources.
You mean a better source than an abogado (in writing) and the spanish traffic department?
Old May 5th 2006, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

oh mitzy, you know agobados are not always that good when they do their searches - look at all the threads on here about problems that agobados didn´t find? i know for a fact that the houses down the road are being pulled down, yet no-one is being told this "because this is spain, it wont happen for ages yet"... there are certain things that are left out of written reports.

and traffico?? hahaha.. their rules change daily
Old May 5th 2006, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Out of curiosity I have just rung the ITV station on the Guadalhorce and was told that, as far as they are concerned, a British RHD vehicle will not fail the special test for the importation procedure just because it is right hand drive.

They did confirm, though, (and have done so on each occasion that I have asked in the past) that a routine ITV test on a foreign plated vehicle has no validity whatsoever and it must have a current test certificate from its country of origin to be road legal in Spain.

I have to say that they are a much better source of information than DGT and have never given me duff information although their field of expertise is obviously limited to vehicle testing.
Old May 5th 2006, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

ahhhh... so if the ITV place says it will pass if it is roadworthy...then the law has not changed and that website i quoted before is talking crap? thats good to know i might well start the process to get it transferred then

has anyone written a step by step on how to do it ? or is the one outlined on "that" website the right one ?
Old May 5th 2006, 11:24 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Out of curiosity I have just rung the ITV station on the Guadalhorce and was told that, as far as they are concerned, a British RHD vehicle will not fail the special test for the importation procedure just because it is right hand drive.

They did confirm, though, (and have done so on each occasion that I have asked in the past) that a routine ITV test on a foreign plated vehicle has no validity whatsoever and it must have a current test certificate from its country of origin to be road legal in Spain.

I have to say that they are a much better source of information than DGT and have never given me duff information although their field of expertise is obviously limited to vehicle testing.
And I've got to say that I have a polish friend who is a spanish resident for many years who is in my car club and imported a brit car like mine into Spain and has had no problems because they had it spanish plated as soon as it got there. They had to get the headlights changed (as the inserts don't work and there is no LHD equivilent) but that was about it.

So the answer really is get the car spanish plated and be sure you're legal and above board.
Old May 5th 2006, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

There was actually a six month period in the early 1990s when RHD vehicles could not be imported. However, there was a rapid about turn and there has been no problem since EXCEPT for mini buses and vans with a single side opening door on the left hand side which, in Spain, means that it opens directly into the path of passing traffic.
Old May 5th 2006, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

EXCEPT for mini buses and vans with a single side opening door on the left hand side which, in Spain, means that it opens directly into the path of passing traffic.

the same applies to campervans i believe ? the sliding door is always on the drivers side - especially on things like the old VWs etc.
Old May 5th 2006, 4:07 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

mini buses and vans with a single side opening door on the left hand side which, in Spain, means that it opens directly into the path of passing traffic.
Strange rule that really when you think about it - you open your LHD vehicle's driver's door into the path of passing traffic every time you get out! The Spanish are excellent at it, usually without looking...
Old May 5th 2006, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Strange rule that really when you think about it - you open your LHD vehicle's driver's door into the path of passing traffic every time you get out! The Spanish are excellent at it, usually without looking...
very true,, strange rules
Old May 5th 2006, 6:53 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
the same applies to campervans i believe ? the sliding door is always on the drivers side - especially on things like the old VWs etc.
I had a French motorhome last time and it was a nightmare cos you have to park cab outwards in the UK. Even though it was RHD, the side doors on the RH side also so instead of having your own bit of "privacy" on the site, your door opened out onto the next motorhomes bit of privacy, and it wasn't well received at all.
Old May 5th 2006, 8:00 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I had a French motorhome last time and it was a nightmare cos you have to park cab outwards in the UK. Even though it was RHD, the side doors on the RH side also so instead of having your own bit of "privacy" on the site, your door opened out onto the next motorhomes bit of privacy, and it wasn't well received at all.
Old May 6th 2006, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

shar is an unknown quantity at this point

IMPORTING AND Registering a RH VEHICLE IN SPAIN.

I must apologise for any confusion re this topic I had previously stated that it would be almost impossible to transfer a rhd car onto Spanish plates this was information I was told at trafico, however I have made further enquiries and it seems i was misinformed, not the first time I have to say but, that is the Spain we kknow and love! It still is advisable not to bring a rhd vehicle into spain, however if you have already got it here then you may feel differently and or have no choice and it is still possible providing

a. it is not a commercial vehicle

or

b. it is not a pick up or certain 4 wheel drive vehicle

Check at your local itv station to see if your vehicle conforms

I hope this is now cleared up and hope that it hasnt caused too much grief I do try and keep my website up to date single handedly to help people but there is a lot of information and I have obviously slipped up big time here- I hold my hands up and thank you for bringing it to my attention, the reason for me not replying straight away is so that I could make enquiries.

Very sorry, Shar

http://www.livespainforlife.co.uk/default.aspx?id=56

Last edited by shar; May 6th 2006 at 7:55 pm.
Old May 6th 2006, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

thanks for registering here sharon and clarifying that for us, very helpful of you

welcome to the site, i hope you have a plesant stay
Old May 8th 2006, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by shar
IMPORTING AND Registering a RH VEHICLE IN SPAIN.

I must apologise for any confusion re this topic I had previously stated that it would be almost impossible to transfer a rhd car onto Spanish plates this was information I was told at trafico, however I have made further enquiries and it seems i was misinformed, not the first time I have to say but, that is the Spain we kknow and love! It still is advisable not to bring a rhd vehicle into spain, however if you have already got it here then you may feel differently and or have no choice and it is still possible providing

a. it is not a commercial vehicle

or

b. it is not a pick up or certain 4 wheel drive vehicle

Check at your local itv station to see if your vehicle conforms

I hope this is now cleared up and hope that it hasnt caused too much grief I do try and keep my website up to date single handedly to help people but there is a lot of information and I have obviously slipped up big time here- I hold my hands up and thank you for bringing it to my attention, the reason for me not replying straight away is so that I could make enquiries.

Very sorry, Shar

http://www.livespainforlife.co.uk/default.aspx?id=56
Just to update, I just passed the ITV with my wife's Nissan Primera on Friday.

Steps so far; Headlamps changed and car checked out to ensure it would pass ITV (325 €), Ficha Tecnica acquired (90 € - from an ingeniero tecnico in the ITV station), ITV certificate obtained (81 €) and finally pay the sello de circulacion (road tax - 42 €). Subtract discounts for knowing people of 65 € from the aforementioned costs.

Steps left; Pay the importation/matriculation tax in hacienda and visit trafico with all the paperwork to get the final vehicle registration, then re-insure with Spanish company.

We needed to bring the car to transport an elderly cat, so might as well run it into the ground - hence the reason for going through the process.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mr UNEXPAT, firstly, very grateful for your reply and keeping us up to date, but i still have a few questions, of which the answers would be very helpful to anyone reading this thread and wishing to undertake the process themselves.

Just to update, I just passed the ITV with my wife's Nissan Primera on Friday
is it rhd?

Headlamps changed and car checked out to ensure it would pass ITV (325 €),
why so much?!?!?!?!?! were they NEW headlights? i priced some 96 ford mondeo ones and they were €95 each. i would personally get headlights from a scrap yard, fit them myself, take it for an itv and see if it passes, if not, fix the bits that needed doing and take it back - its a free retest.

Ficha Tecnica acquired (90 € - from an ingeniero tecnico in the ITV station),
i take it this is seperate to the itv and needs to be done before the itv? can you do it on the same day? does it need to be pre-arranged?

ITV certificate obtained (81 €)
again, why so much? a itv is only 32 euros or something (last time i itv´d a spanish car)

and finally pay the sello de circulacion (road tax - 42 €)
how can you do this before you have your spanish plates? that conflicts with what i have read in other places - you cant tax an english plated car in spain?

Steps left; Pay the importation/matriculation tax in hacienda and visit trafico with all the paperwork to get the final vehicle registration, then re-insure with Spanish company.
assuming the car is still legal from the uk can you still drive it while the process is being undertaken?

We needed to bring the car to transport an elderly cat, so might as well run it into the ground - hence the reason for going through the process.
aww aint u a sweetiepie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.