Spanish ITV

Old May 8th 2006, 1:36 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish ITV

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
[b]again, why so much? a itv is only 32 euros or something (last time i itv´d a spanish car)
A first ITV, for this purpose, does cost more - there is a price list up in the ITV stations. I guess it's a more thorough check, encompassing more elements?
Old May 8th 2006, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

mr UNEXPAT, firstly, very grateful for your reply and keeping us up to date, but i still have a few questions, of which the answers would be very helpful to anyone reading this thread and wishing to undertake the process themselves.

is it rhd?

why so much?!?!?!?!?! were they NEW headlights? i priced some 96 ford mondeo ones and they were €95 each. i would personally get headlights from a scrap yard, fit them myself, take it for an itv and see if it passes, if not, fix the bits that needed doing and take it back - its a free retest.

i take it this is seperate to the itv and needs to be done before the itv? can you do it on the same day? does it need to be pre-arranged?

again, why so much? a itv is only 32 euros or something (last time i itv´d a spanish car)

how can you do this before you have your spanish plates? that conflicts with what i have read in other places - you cant tax an english plated car in spain?

assuming the car is still legal from the uk can you still drive it while the process is being undertaken?

aww aint u a sweetiepie
1. Yes, RHD.

2. Yes, new headlights. You're quite right, you could save money DIY, but I'm short of time at the moment, since I suddenly have a lot of work on. The (first) re-test costs 30% of the original fee if I'm not mistaken - this may be region dependent, or I may have read it wrong.

3. Yes, la ficha tecnica (also referred to as a (masc.) fichero <something> which I can't immediately recall) is separate to the ITV and they will not undertake an ITV on a RHD or import vehicle without it. Actually, in my case they did, but only because they knew that the technical engineer (ingeniero tecnico) was going to write-up and give them the paperwork right after the test. The ITV centre gave me the names of 4 engineers to call. The day before the test I called the one that worked out of the ITV centre, so the test centre people knew him. He needed the V5 registration document to check the vehicle details and sight of the vehicle and chassis numbers etc. to confirm that the specifications of the vehicle were acceptable within Spanish law (no mods, etc. I suppose). These engineers are out and about, so you need to arrange an appointment, or take the vehicle and paperwork to their place of operation.

4. Can't comment, other than to say an ITV on a Spanish vehicle may cost less than a UK one, or again it's region dependent, or it maybe that costs have just gone up. My (Spanish) cousin didn't raise any eyebrows when I told him how much it had cost.

5. The paperwork had a blank space where the vehicle registration should be. I specifically queried this. They said it would be assigned by trafico, but I had to get it road taxed first in the ayuntamiento. The ayuntamiento had no problem with it and they knew exactly what they were doing (they had a separate form for a European vehicle undergoing this process). They confirmed the sequence of events. The road tax stamp does not carry the vehicle registration number in any case. I can only assume that "you can't tax an English plated car in Spain" if you do not have the ficha tecnica document, otherwise, you can by my experience.

6. Yes, as far as I am concerned the vehicle is still legal because it is covered by UK Road Tax, MOT and insurance (which is actually the limiting factor for me, since the UK insurance company said they would only cover me for 3 months without extra charges and I have 1 month left of that).

Edit. PS you could ask them to post-date the road tax to the day you actually go to trafico and maximise your road tax period. I did not because I could not be bothered to make a separate journey to pay the road tax (you get the paper with a payment counter-foil and payment is a separate process). Besides I intend to get the last few steps done soon.

Last edited by Unexpat; May 8th 2006 at 3:07 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

so, unexpat, any progress ? whats it all cost you so far ?
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

so, unexpat, any progress ? whats it all cost you so far ?
Haven't moved on. As I explained in a recent thread, I got stymied by hacienda and the requirement for a baja de residencia (from the UK via the British Consul in Alicante) and that was the straw the temporarily broke the camel's back.

So I re-insured the car until the MOT and tax runs out in September, through a UK insurance company and I will continue with the saga later (or drive the car into the hacienda's fachada, los muy hijo putas )

Actually my cunning plan is to see if the rules change in a few months and make it simpler for European Comunitarios - i.e. not having to jump through so many hoops - well I can hope, right?