Spanish ITV

Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish ITV

Originally Posted by pwwm
I think you have misread the posts, we have been talking about change of Matricula ie number plates. Yes we have English cars or at least they were, both now on Spanish plates and legal. Even then they were both imports to UK prior to us buying them.

I agree that ITV is a waste of time on a British plated car and have posted as such elsewhere.It is a courtesy nothing else.

pwwm
no, i think that you have misread actually. the first post on this thread, is thus -
Originally Posted by GCM
i'm due to take my English car for an ITV (the Spanish equivalent of an MOT) soon
where have i misread ?? this is an english plated car being taken for ITV..
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:06 am
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

It may well have been a waste of time and money getting the ITV on my English plated car but I was told by the insurance broker that I didn't have to take the car back to the UK for it's MOT if I got an ITV (big money saving as well as time).

To me all that matters is that the insurance is valid in case of an accident.

The car is worthless but valuable in that it has been brilliant and is a working car. I've now got time to shop around for a Spanish car, if in the meantime it is seized then I don't care too much.

Mark
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM
It may well have been a waste of time and money getting the ITV on my English plated car but I was told by the insurance broker that I didn't have to take the car back to the UK for it's MOT if I got an ITV (big money saving as well as time).

The car is worthless but valuable in that it has been brilliant and is a working car. I've now got time to shop around for a Spanish car, if in the meantime it is seized then I don't care too much.

Mark
I cant believe an ins agent could say that, cos a car has to be legal in the country of registration.
That means in your case an up to date UK MOT and road tax.
You will have a job getting a payout on any claim without it.

How did the headlights pass in an ITV ?
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

friends of ours took their car for the ITV to change plates and had not changed the headlights, we could not believe that they did not think about that, needless to say the car did not pass.
Has now and driving on Spanish plates, got headlight from an excellent breakers in Motril.
pwwm
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GCM

Mark
I think that kind of advice from a so called 'insurance broker' is reprehensible. Presumably the advice was not from a professioanl broker but a money grabbing agent for an insurer.And presumably the advice was given orally and you don't have any written confirmation !

It seems to me that if you choose to insure your car for Third Party only and are not bothered about Own damage then there is an unfortunate tendency amongst foreigners living in Spain to forego the rules and to pay little regard to taking the trouble to switch plates and conform. I think this must be caused by many different reasons.
Maybe it's the extra time and trouble in switching from UK to Spanish plates. but is it really that much trouble?
Maybe it's the expense but is it that costly ?
Or maybe it's the stubborness of the Brit abroad who says - if the trafico people don't speak english and don't make it easy for me to re-register, then why should I bother. Two fingers to them. Let's go for another beer lads.

It would be very interesting to know what the insurance underwriter actually says and what the policy actually says. And it would be very interesting to know if your 'broker' gave you this information IN WRITING !
Old Mar 19th 2006, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nige
It would be very interesting to know what the insurance underwriter actually says and what the policy actually says. And it would be very interesting to know if your 'broker' gave you this information IN WRITING !

thank god you said all that nigel, i normally get shouted at for saying things like that on the andalucia.com forum.

i´d LOVE to see something IN writing and perhaps STAMPED by head office that says a spanish ITV on an english plated car would be sufficient in an acident to get paid out. if that was the case i would not bother changing the plates on my cars and continue to drive uk plated!
Old Mar 19th 2006, 9:10 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid to say that it seems to me from what I've seen posted on various forums that its turning into a sport to see how many things you can get away with in Spain without adhering to the laws of the land.

That applies to taxes, cars etc etc.

To the best of my knowledge your car has to be legal in its country of registration.

This is a few years old, but includes a section on driving a car on british plates in Spain and other interesting bits and pieces of info

http://costablancaexpats.net/pats/trafico.txt
Old Mar 19th 2006, 12:46 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
thank god you said all that nigel, i normally get shouted at for saying things like that on the andalucia.com forum.
Must be something in your attitude if you get shouted at on all the forums you have joined, maybe you should chill out a little and stop being so aggressive, politeness is something you should have learnt at school, it really helps the world go round.
Had you answered as succinctly and clearly as Nige, no-one would have shouted
Best regards
Kevray

Mitzy, yet again the master has given invaluable information, thanks for the link, very useful.
Have to agree with your statement
I'm afraid to say that it seems to me from what I've seen posted on various forums that its turning into a sport to see how many things you can get away with in Spain without adhering to the laws of the land
Your average beer swilling, union jack wearing, swearing loudly in public brit, living on the CDS who thinks its a game to "get away with it" and never mind the consequences or who it affects.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

lol its easy to say things like that from behind a computer screen isn´t it

whatever tho, you are probably right, respect the elders and all that shite... yes sir, no sir.. 3 bags full.

are you going to join the G&T on the terrace complaining about the UK brigade when you finally move to spain?

back to the thread huh ? enough with the piss taking of my use of language. if you find my posts aggresive, dont read them.

it really amazes me how people who have not lived in spain continue to spout out "advice" on the forums online ...

back to the thread now huh. why do people insist on driving around in non-legal cars ? what makes "us" (and i use the term loosly) any different from the spanish ? why are "we" special? i think all brits should be made to change their plates on or before the 6 months is up.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 6:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

it really amazes me how people who have not lived in spain continue to spout out "advice" on the forums online ...
Mmmmm .... well I don't yet live in Spain although I own a place there and go there quite often. I've spent a lot of time collecting information over the last 24 months or so and I am more than happy, as are others, to share that information with other people who are just starting out on the road to living abroad. I feel I am qualified to do so, and rather than comment on anything I am not sure of I will go away and find out.

So frankly my friend your comment is ill thought out and pointlessly rude. You know nothing of other peoples knowledge bases or history and therefore are not in a position to comment accurately. I suggest you go back to contributing to the forum in a positive manner or alternatively just dont bother posting at all.

Oh .... and I'm not going to spoil other peoples enjoyment of this forum by getting into an online arguement with you. I've made my point and will comment no more ... the people on here will make their own judgement!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevray
Must be something in your attitude if you get shouted at on all the forums you have joined, maybe you should chill out a little and stop being so aggressive, politeness is something you should have learnt at school, it really helps the world go round.
Had you answered as succinctly and clearly as Nige, no-one would have shouted
Best regards
Kevray

Mitzy, yet again the master has given invaluable information, thanks for the link, very useful.
Have to agree with your statement

Your average beer swilling, union jack wearing, swearing loudly in public brit, living on the CDS who thinks its a game to "get away with it" and never mind the consequences or who it affects.
Where did bfg69bug get aggressive in his post ? As far as I can see he was accused of misreading a post and just explained that he had not misread it.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:06 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
Where did bfg69bug get aggressive in his post ? As far as I can see he was accused of misreading a post and just explained that he had not misread it.
Says it all do you not think
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jdr, thanks

and kevray... what the hell are you talking about? how is that aggressive? i commented on something that would usually happen on another forum, were i to make a comment such as the one posted by Nige.

you lot really confuse me sometimes

can we get back to the thread please ? has anyone got a signed and stamped, LEGAL document saying that an ITV on an English plated vehicle is sufficient basis for car insurance in spain ???
Old Mar 21st 2006, 5:31 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

There is no way you will get paid out unless all the paperwork, ie: tax and mot in country of origin, is kosher, even then its hard work.
Ins co do not like paying out unless they really need to.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

jdr, thats what i was thinking - any little loophole / fault / error and they will refuse anyways i was just wondering, the people on here that are saying that "yes, it IS legal" .. do they have any proof or is it just the opinon of the "bloke i met in the pub says its ok" ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.