Reload this Page >

Spain or Dubai...?

Spain or Dubai...?

Old May 26th 2008, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

QTtalkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spain or Dubai...?

Originally Posted by SHERGAR
I worked in Dubai for 5 years and loved every minute of it.European women were treated no different than in other countries.Its a great life.
We have now retired to Spain and are loving every minute here.
Work in Dubai but retire to Spain,YOU WONT REGRET IT.
Thanks - think im going to accept the offer - the headteacher is sending the contract through tomorrow i think!
Just scary as im going alone but ill deal with it - sure itl be fab!
x
Old May 27th 2008, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

paulsm56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by QTtalkin
Hi, i qualified as a primary school teacher last year and have been teaching my first class this year in Scotland. I wanted to do something diferent this year - to teach and live somewhere different - so iv been applying for lots of different international teaching jobs. Iv narrowed it down and have been offered a job in a school in Elche, Spain, or Dubai...I pay my own flights and accom in Spain and its a 1year contract. In Dubai they pay my flights and accom and its a 2year contract...Im only 23 and this will be my 1st time moving away alone. Spain is appealing in that its only 2hours away, yet Dubai is obviously tempting too!!! Any help to convince me either way would be great!!!
x
Hmmm,depends what you want from it. I would imagine that Dubai pays better?? Wages are generally v low in Spain for comparable work in other countries. I would compare Dubai more to a place like Puerto Banus (but much bigger and more international). If you want to learn Spanish then of course I would choose Spain. After living here for 3 years though I don´t think it is so amazing (if you want the sun and very relaxed lifstyle then Spain it is) but you are so young that I think Dubai has far more get up and go to it! It is v difficult to meet Spanish people in Spain unless you speak excellent Spanish and are on their wave-length. Expats (outside of Madrid and Barcelona) tend to be older so you wont be hanging out with those! And then the other extreme is Erasum students...I know where I would be going.-...Dubai!
Old May 27th 2008, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

paulsm56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol, sorry, yeah im female! I wondered about that too and so have been trying to read up and ask about people's experiences n stuff but the genereal gist has been that the expat population are quite segregated in terms of accomodation, you can wear what you want within reason but to be mindful of the countries religion. When in malls etc, maybe wear a cardigan (air con is cold anyway!) People have also said although there are regulations Dubai has a great nightlife too - you just have to be respectful and not falling about drunk in the streets? Iv heard that you will get people maybe staring at you, especially being blonde but its completely safe and its jsut because your different? Id imagine you would sorta feel more like a 2nd class citizen there in comparison with Spain but i just dont know! Totally different like you say...are u you able to tell me much about the Elche/Alicante way of living etc?
x
I have a friend who lives there and says that it is very westernized...don´t worry, it is not like Saudi Arabia!!! My parents went there over 10 years and they said it was fantastic and that was 10 years ago! Enjoy your year out, whereever you choose to go! Do you like beaches and shopping and glamorous lifestyle? then it is more Dubai....
Old May 27th 2008, 10:12 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulsm56
I have a friend who lives there and says that it is very westernized...
I know what your friend is saying, but its not that westernised
Old May 28th 2008, 10:42 am
Just Joined

geordielad is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol, sorry, yeah im female! I wondered about that too and so have been trying to read up and ask about people's experiences n stuff but the genereal gist has been that the expat population are quite segregated in terms of accomodation, you can wear what you want within reason but to be mindful of the countries religion. When in malls etc, maybe wear a cardigan (air con is cold anyway!) People have also said although there are regulations Dubai has a great nightlife too - you just have to be respectful and not falling about drunk in the streets? Iv heard that you will get people maybe staring at you, especially being blonde but its completely safe and its jsut because your different? Id imagine you would sorta feel more like a 2nd class citizen there in comparison with Spain but i just dont know! Totally different like you say...are u you able to tell me much about the Elche/Alicante way of living etc?
x
Hi there. Im a bloke who was over in Dubai earlier this year. The center of Dubai itself is fantastic. The have over 30 different nationalities living together peacefully and are very proud of this. I was with a girlfriend and they treat her very well and were very polite at all times. Having a fair bit of experience of Arab countries this is quite rare. The nightlife seemed to be based around restaurants and shopping malls etc. Its not like UK where there are pubs here and there. Outside of Dubai is alot different. Especially for a single woman. They can be very offensive to Westerners and you are meant to carry your documentation. I was told of a story of an expat who was living there being stopped in an aggressive way by locals when outside of Dubai on a trip by themselves. Obviously you could just stay in Dubai where it seems like a little country inside another country due to the tradition of the UAE and the acceptance of Western traditions. My advice having experienced both countries would certainly be Spain. Hope this helps
Old May 29th 2008, 8:06 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

phew, easy one this, DUBAI DUBAIIIIIIIII
oh, I love Dubai and try to take at least 2 hols there per year. If you have not been you will love it, great food, great people, no crime, great lifestyle, what more could you want. Its quite layed back in Dubai not like other states, i'd say gooooo, pat
Old May 29th 2008, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

QTtalkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
phew, easy one this, DUBAI DUBAIIIIIIIII
oh, I love Dubai and try to take at least 2 hols there per year. If you have not been you will love it, great food, great people, no crime, great lifestyle, what more could you want. Its quite layed back in Dubai not like other states, i'd say gooooo, pat
Lol, thank goodness u said that as iv just sent the contract away and signed!!! Aaaargh, so scared!!! But dead excited too - just hope i dont get too homesick bein away on my own but hey - gotta try it!!! Thanks, hope i love it too!
x