Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain or Dubai...?

Spain or Dubai...?

Old May 20th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

QTtalkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spain or Dubai...?

Hi, i qualified as a primary school teacher last year and have been teaching my first class this year in Scotland. I wanted to do something diferent this year - to teach and live somewhere different - so iv been applying for lots of different international teaching jobs. Iv narrowed it down and have been offered a job in a school in Elche, Spain, or Dubai...I pay my own flights and accom in Spain and its a 1year contract. In Dubai they pay my flights and accom and its a 2year contract...Im only 23 and this will be my 1st time moving away alone. Spain is appealing in that its only 2hours away, yet Dubai is obviously tempting too!!! Any help to convince me either way would be great!!!
x
Old May 20th 2008, 9:54 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain or Dubai...?

Originally Posted by QTtalkin
Hi, i qualified as a primary school teacher last year and have been teaching my first class this year in Scotland. I wanted to do something diferent this year - to teach and live somewhere different - so iv been applying for lots of different international teaching jobs. Iv narrowed it down and have been offered a job in a school in Elche, Spain, or Dubai...I pay my own flights and accom in Spain and its a 1year contract. In Dubai they pay my flights and accom and its a 2year contract...Im only 23 and this will be my 1st time moving away alone. Spain is appealing in that its only 2hours away, yet Dubai is obviously tempting too!!! Any help to convince me either way would be great!!!
x
Difficult to say. Two very different environments. You dont say if you are male or female but I'm guessing femae by the "x"
Whats the environment like for women in Dubai.
Old May 20th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Difficult to say. Two very different environments. You dont say if you are male or female but I'm guessing femae by the "x"
Whats the environment like for women in Dubai.
Lol, sorry, yeah im female! I wondered about that too and so have been trying to read up and ask about people's experiences n stuff but the genereal gist has been that the expat population are quite segregated in terms of accomodation, you can wear what you want within reason but to be mindful of the countries religion. When in malls etc, maybe wear a cardigan (air con is cold anyway!) People have also said although there are regulations Dubai has a great nightlife too - you just have to be respectful and not falling about drunk in the streets? Iv heard that you will get people maybe staring at you, especially being blonde but its completely safe and its jsut because your different? Id imagine you would sorta feel more like a 2nd class citizen there in comparison with Spain but i just dont know! Totally different like you say...are u you able to tell me much about the Elche/Alicante way of living etc?
x
Old May 20th 2008, 10:08 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

x

I would go for Spain The children are sooooo sweet in their pinnies etc and you as you say would be a short hop from the UK. In Dubai you could make lots of tax free cash or little tax check contract however they are a little backward when in comes to opening a door for a lady I shall leave it there , You will find you will not want for books, equipment etc but Spain would give you more satisfaction I feel because here they are very much into family life like in the UK 30 years ago.... not as glamorous but more job satisfaction you could always go to Dubai after your year in Spain and got a little time away from home under you belt. Good luck which ever you choose I have a couple of nieces who are teachers and they seem happy enough......... Could be the long holiday
Old May 20th 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, sorry, yeah im female! I wondered about that too and so have been trying to read up and ask about people's experiences n stuff but the genereal gist has been that the expat population are quite segregated in terms of accomodation, you can wear what you want within reason but to be mindful of the countries religion. When in malls etc, maybe wear a cardigan (air con is cold anyway!) People have also said although there are regulations Dubai has a great nightlife too - you just have to be respectful and not falling about drunk in the streets? Iv heard that you will get people maybe staring at you, especially being blonde but its completely safe and its jsut because your different? Id imagine you would sorta feel more like a 2nd class citizen there in comparison with Spain but i just dont know! Totally different like you say...are u you able to tell me much about the Elche/Alicante way of living etc?
x
A woman at my place of work has taken a career break to work in Dubai for 2 years... from what I hear she is loving it and she is one year in. Obviously earning lots more money than if she was in Spain. There should be no problem working there as long as you remember the culture/religious differencies and don`t treat it as a holiday. Also depends on if you are in a `brit complex` or `out with the natives` so to speak.
Good luck in whatever you decide... you are young enough to experience both if you want to.. Dubai first.. then Spain. Why not??
Old May 20th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

x
my friend moved to Dubai a couple fo years ago if you want i can put you in touch with her

good luck whatever you decide its a tough call - maybe it could work out you do both, ie choose 1 for the first 2 years then after that you could go to the other if a job was available at that time
Old May 20th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on the good or bad about either - but would imagine Dubai is paying alot more?

If you take to the "life" of living and working abroad - any wedge you manage to stash while in Dubai will make your next move easier. If you decide to "come home" likewise you'll have the cash to buy your winter woolies, a car, set up on your own etc as I imagine moving back in with M&D won't be an attractive option.

Good luck with either.
Old May 21st 2008, 1:17 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

heres a few facts on Dubai for you just click on the link below

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...tors/dubai.xml
Old May 21st 2008, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Ive been to Dubia a couple of time (for holidays)

most speak english, foods FAB, weater is unbearably hot in summer in the 50s, shoppings good,, im blonde ans female, I did get stared at a bit, but not enough to make you feel uncomfortable, in the malls you can wear what you like, and you can really just walking round, I wore tshirt and shorts mostly, but never went anywhere you had to cover up, travelling, we needed a car to get anywhere, as some of the places are just to far to walk in the heat,
the only thing a did'nt like about it, is the way the men seem to treat the woman, and how they think they are above them), but on saying that everyone is very friendly.

Spain, love it here too, but give then choice to work, I would got to Dubia,
Old May 21st 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx
Ive been to Dubia a couple of time (for holidays)

most speak english, foods FAB, weater is unbearably hot in summer in the 50s, shoppings good,, im blonde ans female, I did get stared at a bit, but not enough to make you feel uncomfortable, in the malls you can wear what you like, and you can really just walking round, I wore tshirt and shorts mostly, but never went anywhere you had to cover up, travelling, we needed a car to get anywhere, as some of the places are just to far to walk in the heat,
the only thing a did'nt like about it, is the way the men seem to treat the woman, and how they think they are above them), but on saying that everyone is very friendly.

Spain, love it here too, but give then choice to work, I would got to Dubia,
hi there i am also a teacher and have friends who have taught abroad..
dubai seems to be the preffered country with them.. because they could earn tons..
but the one thing they a;ll rearked about was that the male children have no respect for female teachers!!!!!

as a woman - who are you to speak to them and give them instruction...

something to think about.
carole
Old May 21st 2008, 7:41 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I still have a lot of family in Dubai, well actually some are in other parts of the UAE but that's not important.........

I haven't really been back for a while, but its where I was brought up, and as Mitzy said................VERY DIFFERENT places!
Old May 21st 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I still have a lot of family in Dubai, well actually some are in other parts of the UAE but that's not important.........

I haven't really been back for a while, but its where I was brought up, and as Mitzy said................VERY DIFFERENT places!

Lol, yeah but different in what ways?! As in, which is better?!
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

SHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud of

I worked in Dubai for 5 years and loved every minute of it.European women were treated no different than in other countries.Its a great life.
We have now retired to Spain and are loving every minute here.
Work in Dubai but retire to Spain,YOU WONT REGRET IT.
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:04 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, yeah but different in what ways?! As in, which is better?!
I'm afraid that's totally subjective....

Few people fit in easily with the Arabs, they can be hard to deal with, but them that do adore them. As I have said, my family work closely with the Arabs and love them, and I have Arab friends here in the UK and I love their attitude to life.

That said, it can be very insular out there, and VERY VERY cliquey, and the expat wives club can be downright nasty......

Money is so much better than in Spain for sure, so if you can deal with the place its well worth working there and as Shergar said, spend the money in Spain.

For what its worth, I wouldn't live there again.

Good luck with any decision you make, and if you pop onto the ME forum say hi to Confucius, he is a veritable god!!!
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Well, I live in Spain with kids at the international school and chat alot to the faculty members about their travels. It does seem once you get on the international ciruit you tend to stay on it and the faculty are all good friends and socialize together. It sounds like a really interesting life.

The teachers bitch about the pay here in Spain though and the low standard of rental accomodation. If I were you, I'd go for Dubai, longer contract, although even 2 years will fly by (1 would be over in a blink). More dosh£$ - very important at your young age. More fun I think. Spain can be sooo quiet and dull in the winter. Dubai you've got the best of both worlds, sun sea, sand and all the first world stuff, malls, shopping, fantastic restaurants, indoor skiing. Awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.