Wikiposts

The Spain BritExpat cyber DIAMOND JUBILEE STREET PARTY

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

stephendutchman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Spain BritExpat cyber DIAMOND JUBILEE STREET PARTY

turned out nice again !!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 5:02 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Yes, so hands up how many of you rear your own chickens for the oven ?
A very teeny weeny minority I suspect.

Have you never wondered why the millions of clapped out old battery hens don't appear on supermarket shelves advertised as such, but have amazingly been reincarnated into chickens or chicken bits and pieces in one form or another, ......though strangely the vast majority of confused Brits still wrongly refer to them as chickens, even when they are laying eggs.

As for Freds prawns, if they were of decent quality and nice and fresh, about the last thing I would be doing is swamping their delicious flavour with overpowering Indian sauces, but there again the chances of Indian restaurant buying fresh landed top quality prawns to chuck in their curry probably vary from remote to extremely unlikely.
I would put my shirt on them being the cheaper, already tasteless packaged frozen apologies for the same.
Hmmm, says a lot about how your business would be run.

Most business folk will know that to be successful you need to use good quality products to stay in business, it does'nt take customers long to decide if your food is crap or not and avoid you.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse

Most business folk will know that to be successful you need to use good quality products to stay in business, it does'nt take customers long to decide if your food is crap or not and avoid you.
Absolutely. I've been to bad Indian restaurants where the sauces looked identical whatever you ordered, probably just chucked in a few more chilis to vary the degree of heat. And I've been to good ones where the vegetables in the curry were fresh, not overcooked and still had some "bite" to them, the chicken was boneless and tender. In the one in Spain I go to most often, the prawns are completely different from the tiny, watery specimens they use in British Indian restaurants. I'm sure they are still frozen, but they are much larger and taste good. I don't order the very hottest curries as then the sauce does completely overpower the other ingredients and you can't really taste anything at all, just get a burning mouth.

Indian restaurants vary in quality just like restaurants serving any other type of cuisine. I had one of the worst meals of my life in Paris.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 6:06 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Hmmm, says a lot about how your business would be run.

One of the businesses I previously referred to, had a reputation as being by far the best in the area and was busy every night.
The owners were good friends of mine, so far be it for me to have ever let the cat out the bag regarding the rubbish they served up as chicken plus one or two other items.

Simply goes to show that where Indian restaurants are concerned, you can fool most of the ppl. for most of the time.

Being close friends, I was offered a free meal on several occasions, but needless to say I never took them up on it.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 6:35 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

One of my brothers has a fruit and veg stall and the local Asian restaurant owners used to buy up all his past their best veg
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 6:39 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
One of my brothers has a fruit and veg stall and the local Asian restaurant owners used to buy up all his past their best veg
Typical.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 6:40 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Typical.
And they bartered over the price
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:17 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Lionda
And they bartered over the price
Nuff said..... I've seen it all before.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 6:00 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I find it refreshing that this time out there seems to be more of a spread on the suitability of a curry. Last time I felt I was the only who didnt have a permanant pot of curry on the stove.

All the food I am buying here is Fresh, nothing is packaged, processed. The chickens are good healthy looking carcasses, bought by the unit and cut up in front of me. The same for the pork, huge sections of carcass and the chops etc are cut off to the thickness requested by the customer.
Veg I see coming in the door fresh from the fields.
That gives us a meal where we regularly comment on the taste on individual items.

Chanquette, a fish restaurant in Granada, puts its fish on display, you select what you want and it is cooked for you. Even their tapas is taken fresh from the display and served.

Hopefully HM Elizabeth, Lillibet, or Isabel for our Spanish friends, had a good British meal based on roast beef, yorkshires, etc. none of this foreign rubbish.

It was interesting to see the fleet of little ships, reminiscent of those used at Dunkirk. A Fleet Review at Spithead would be an embarrassment, with Spain having more ships than the RN, although it could be said we have the advantage of firepower - just knockout one ship and lose a large % of that.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 6:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

It was interesting to see the fleet of little ships, reminiscent of those used at Dunkirk. A Fleet Review at Spithead would be an embarrassment, with Spain having more ships than the RN, although it could be said we have the advantage of firepower - just knockout one ship and lose a large % of that.
Several of the Dunkirk veteran ships were in the flotilla, along with one that was in the Queen Victoria diamond jubilee procession.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 6:50 pm
On the road again.

Back in Blighty at the minute, so I was wondering what sort of coverage if any, Lizzies Big Bash got on the Spanish news, especially after the recent little tiff over Gib ?
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 7:58 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

actually it seems to have been well received. on all the news headlines
in a local tapas bar and it was on the television, the owner had a big grin and said to me Bueno.
the others in the bar seemed to think it was a good thing, no animosity so I didnt mention Gib or Armada or Drake

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:14 pm
On the road again.

I find it refreshing that this time out there seems to be more of a spread on the suitability of a curry. Last time I felt I was the only who didnt have a permanant pot of curry on the stove.

All the food I am buying here is Fresh, nothing is packaged, processed. The chickens are good healthy looking carcasses, bought by the unit and cut up in front of me. The same for the pork, huge sections of carcass and the chops etc are cut off to the thickness requested by the customer.
Veg I see coming in the door fresh from the fields.
That gives us a meal where we regularly comment on the taste on individual items.

Chanquette, a fish restaurant in Granada, puts its fish on display, you select what you want and it is cooked for you. Even their tapas is taken fresh from the display and served.

Hopefully HM Elizabeth, Lillibet, or Isabel for our Spanish friends, had a good British meal based on roast beef, yorkshires, etc. none of this foreign rubbish.

In view of my previous posts, no doubt there are those amongst you who get the impression that I'm not keen on "foreign muck", but to be fair I do find some of the Asian type dishes quite tasty.
Problem is after seeing much of what goes on behind the scenes and even having maggots served up on on occasion, I tend to be quite wary of how the food has been prepared.
The maggots were not meant to be part of the dish by the way, and on seeing them my partner immediately shot out the door and threw up.
I think quite a few others did likewise after I showed them around to the clientele before walking out myself.

Wonder if Liz is into this sort of stuff or she prefers to stick with her meat and two or more veg, though I imagine she must have tried a few out of the ordinary dishes during her travels.

OK on the fish restaurant Dom, I used to go to a similar one at a small fishing village in Tenerife where there was a great choice of fresh landed marine food from which to fill a plate and hand it in to the kitchen for cooking.
Initially it was superb value for money, however in no time at all word got around, prices went up and it was difficult to get a table.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:20 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

OK on the fish restaurant Dom, I used to go to a similar one at a small fishing village in Tenerife where there was a great choice of fresh landed marine food from which to fill a plate and hand it in to the kitchen for cooking.
Initially it was superb value for money, however in no time at all word got around, prices went up and it was difficult to get a table.
I've been to a few in the Canaries, a huge platter of fresh fish brought round for you to choose, the waiter, who spoke English' said there were a few that he didn't know an English name for. We chose, just by what loked good, and were never disappointed.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:31 pm
On the road again.

actually it seems to have been well received. on all the news headlines
in a local tapas bar and it was on the television, the owner had a big grin and said to me Bueno.
the others in the bar seemed to think it was a good thing, no animosity so I didnt mention Gib or Armada or Drake

A bit like that Fawlty Towers scene, "Don't mention the War" or in our case that should read, "Don't mention the Armada."

I don't think they've quite got over it yet.

......though to be fair I've not come across much animosity in Spanish bars.

I recall once in a bar packed out with Spanish in a typical Spanish town, two or three of us expats had been out walking and settled down to watch a crucial game in the Euro finals quite a few years ago.
The Spanish played our lot off the park, yet somehow ended up losing 1-0 thanks mainly to some very dodgy refereeing.
We kept reasonably quiet about it and went up to pay the bill before sneaking out the door, so were quite surprised when all the Spanish at the bar came over and offered their unreserved congratulations for a victory we never really deserved and was little more than highway robbery as I recall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.