Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Spain BritExpat cyber DIAMOND JUBILEE STREET PARTY

Wikiposts

The Spain BritExpat cyber DIAMOND JUBILEE STREET PARTY

Old Jun 9th 2012, 1:12 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Spain BritExpat cyber DIAMOND JUBILEE STREET PARTY

I appreciate The Beatles far more in hindsight than I did at the time - I was actually quite young then

Looking back you can see just how experimental and varied their writing, and particularly, their instrumentation was.

The musical structure of songs like Eleanor Rigby and Yesterday is particulary unusual and I can't think of any other 'pop' act that used classical string octet to accompany a song.

Of course none of that means that you actually have to like it...
Old Jun 9th 2012, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato

And many of us didn't and still don't!
Old Jun 9th 2012, 10:49 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I appreciate The Beatles far more in hindsight than I did at the time - I was actually quite young then

Looking back you can see just how experimental and varied their writing, and particularly, their instrumentation was.

The musical structure of songs like Eleanor Rigby and Yesterday is particulary unusual and I can't think of any other 'pop' act that used classical string octet to accompany a song.

My point exactly.

My parents were well into classical stuff and opera and had a very low opinion of almost all pop music, yet they were some of the first to admire the unique talent and ability of the Beatles.

Likewise myself, I was into other stuff and never bought a single one of their recordings, but I had to admit that the variety and quality of what they kept on turning out for so long, was something very special and I think will always be remembered as such..
Old Jun 9th 2012, 6:18 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

first year at secondary school and we went for our first Music lesson with some trepidation as Mr Ridell had a reputation handed down as being a stickler.

we all settled in our seats and he put a record on the deck, the latest Beatles
we all sat there entranced, when it finished he stood up put another record on the deck as as it lead in he said
"I have listened to your music, now you will listen to mine" and played something classical - which is all we got for the whole of that year

since then I like to think my appreciation of music has changed over the years, from listening to to Radio Luxembourg after 6pm to finding out they actually played some good music before 6pm, just the aerials weren't right for the UK, to jazz, Shostakovitch, and many many more.

The Beatles left a mark, but not a stain.
they werent around long enough and the splinters are never as good as the whole.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 6:42 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Like everyone else at my age, I earned enough money from thinning neeps during the summer holidays to buy a guitar. Bert Weedon's book showed me how to play it.

A rock band took me on because I could read some basic music, none of them could. We could only play around a dozen twelve-bar blues, but it was enough for a three-hour gig in front on an undemanding audience who just wanted noise to dance to.

I still have a guitar and keyboard gathering dust on top of a wardrobe, but I haven't touched them for years. My wife takes the piss out of me when I play, so I don't.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 9:33 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

There is room in your life for all kinds of music. I like classical, opera, rock, folk, pop, steel bands etc. My Brother is a musician (classical) he loves all kinds too and often went to rock concerts when he was younger.

I hate the oldies who carry on with rock and pop style when they look like pensioners, it doesn't stand the test of time. A few I can think of eg.Humperdinck..of key at Eurovision, Kenny Rogers, Neil Diamond, Rolling Stones and other aging rock groups, and of course Macca.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:04 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I like all kinds of music too, and thanks to The Pirate Bay I can listen to anything that takes my fancy.

But it's a generational thing, I don't enjoy the music my grandchildren listen to, and they run out of the room when they hear Forever In Blue Jeans.

When I hear, 'Money talks, it don't sing and dance and it don't walk . . .' I'm back in Essex, and not alone. And happy.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:09 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Bring back Musical Youth
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:06 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I like all kinds of music too, and thanks to The Pirate Bay I can listen to anything that takes my fancy.

But it's a generational thing, I don't enjoy the music my grandchildren listen to, and they run out of the room when they hear Forever In Blue Jeans.

When I hear, 'Money talks, it don't sing and dance and it don't walk . . .' I'm back in Essex, and not alone. And happy.
so the big softie comes out on the odd occaision
must make a note not to include that in the BE Spain Christmas Party playlist.

Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:10 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Like everyone else at my age, I earned enough money from thinning neeps during the summer holidays to buy a guitar. Bert Weedon's book showed me how to play it.

A rock band took me on because I could read some basic music, none of them could. We could only play around a dozen twelve-bar blues, but it was enough for a three-hour gig in front on an undemanding audience who just wanted noise to dance to.

I still have a guitar and keyboard gathering dust on top of a wardrobe, but I haven't touched them for years. My wife takes the piss out of me when I play, so I don't.
Get them down off the wardrobe and tell your wife to get a hobby .... make music and enjoy
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by HBG

and a few years later people paid out a month's salary for a BBC Micro, and that's sitting on the top of the wardrobe

good music never dies, just musicians get older and mature, like a good cheese and/or wine, but need to be brought out occasionally for a taster.

enjoy
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:23 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Just like the best classical music itself, the very best of the best pop eras become classics themselves, survive the test of time and live on forever,......... though unfortunately it's difficult to see much from the last few eras that look capable of following such as the classics of the 60s.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:47 am

have been doing some YouTubing and some of the youngsters comments about how fab artists like Tina Turner, Bee Gees, EWF etc

I had to respond to one young girl who couldnt understand where Sade had been hiding for 30 years, she had only just found her and the cool smoke voice.

WTF do these kids think their parents and grandparents were listening to ? ?

The first time I heard and bought the Diamond Life album, about 2 weeks after release, I could imagine that lady on a small stage in a jazz club like Ronnie Scotts or smaller, singing her heart out.

Timeless music
Old Jun 10th 2012, 8:47 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Domino
have been doing some YouTubing and some of the youngsters comments about how fab artists like Tina Turner, Bee Gees, EWF etc

I had to respond to one young girl who couldnt understand where Sade had been hiding for 30 years, she had only just found her and the cool smoke voice.

WTF do these kids think their parents and grandparents were listening to ? ?

The first time I heard and bought the Diamond Life album, about 2 weeks after release, I could imagine that lady on a small stage in a jazz club like Ronnie Scotts or smaller, singing her heart out.

Timeless music
Ronnie Scotts? In Soho? Christ, they're all dead now, but I've stood in the crowd there and thought I'd gone to heaven when the Jazz started. I watched Frank Sinatra sing there, with tears in his eyes, having just come from the Palladium.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by HBG
Ronnie Scotts? In Soho? Christ, they're all dead now, but I've stood in the crowd there and thought I'd gone to heaven when the Jazz started. I watched Frank Sinatra sing there, with tears in his eyes, having just come from the Palladium.
so are some of us...

it 4 years since the King of Soho who owned large chunks of Soho died, not sure if is estate has been fully assessed in public. Remember him, his wife, and their daughter Debbie back in the Windmill days. Also Fiona Richmond with her numberplate FU2, which I believe he bought for her.

never did get into Sinatra
have a couple of original 78's in a box in the basement left by my father, might be worth a few pennies I suppose, but probably not a fortune

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.