Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain: 1 in 5 out of Work !

Spain: 1 in 5 out of Work !

Old May 2nd 2010, 3:30 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain: 1 in 5 out of Work !

Originally Posted by jackytoo
On TV a few weeks ago said that many Spanish on the CDS who came from other areas of Spain have returned to families as there is no work and they cannot pay the high coastal rents.
It is happening all over and causes a lot of embarassment, as some of those involved already waited years to become independant.

It must be hard to have to give up an independant life, to back to live with parents, I know quite a few, whose social life, and now sex life, has almost disapeared.
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:38 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
The Spanish system stinks as it does not encourage people on short contracts ie six months to look for new jobs as they get their benefit paid for the next six months and are able to catch up with outstanding jobs they have promised to do for the neighbours at 8-10 euros an hour.This can include, building work, plumbing, gardening, painting, cutting down or trimming trees etc etc while their wives are doing cleaning jobs after a 6 month stint as a supermarket checkout girl and also getting benefit. You could almost argue that THERE ARE NO UNEMPLOYED in a great part of the working classes. Just six months on the black and rich and six months poor on the minimum wages.

Are you talking about Spain, the country that is next to Portugal?
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JLFS

Are you talking about Spain, the country that is next to Portugal?
I'm, talking about the Spanish people I have known over the last 18 years both where I live now and in Oliva. Incidently in the 60's in Andalucia most men had three jobs but of course there was no benefits paid then and most wives didn't work and they had lots of children. Everyone in Spain knows several little men when they need some work done and nobody cares if its the black economy.
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

I'd be willing to bet that a good amount of the "unemployed" fall into this category !
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:34 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm, talking about the Spanish people I have known over the last 18 years both where I live now and in Oliva. Incidently in the 60's in Andalucia most men had three jobs but of course there was no benefits paid then and most wives didn't work and they had lots of children. Everyone in Spain knows several little men when they need some work done and nobody cares if its the black economy.
Funny that all the history books of the period state that many Andaluces had to migrate to find work - there was a huge migration to Barcelona too. One wonders why they left if they already had 3 jobs each

Between 1951 and 1981, more than 5 million Spaniards left Poor Spain, first for the prosperous economies of France and the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany), then for the expanding industrial regions of Spain itself. Nearly 40 percent, or 1.7 million, left Andalusia alone; another million left Castilla y Leon; and slightly fewer than 1 million left CastillaLa Mancha.
http://www.country-data.com/cgi-bin/query/r-12983.html
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:19 pm
Banned

The Spanish system stinks as it does not encourage people on short contracts ie six months to look for new jobs as they get their benefit paid for the next six months and are able to catch up with outstanding jobs they have promised to do for the neighbours at 8-10 euros an hour.This can include, building work, plumbing, gardening, painting, cutting down or trimming trees etc etc while their wives are doing cleaning jobs after a 6 month stint as a supermarket checkout girl and also getting benefit. You could almost argue that THERE ARE NO UNEMPLOYED in a great part of the working classes. Just six months on the black and rich and six months poor on the minimum wages.
Thank you for the information, I shall mention it, if I just happen to bump into any Spanish that are worried about their future, I shall tell them the brutal truth, that there is no unemployment inSpain, it is a vicious rumour started by people with no jobs.

Oh THAT Spain........
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:24 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=steviedeluxe;8537016]Funny that all the history books of the period state that many Andaluces had to migrate to find work - there was a huge migration to Barcelona too. One wonders why they left if they already had 3 jobs each

Good point.

Do some posters think it was to study another language........or taking a gap year or decade........

Or maybe they had made so much money with their 3 jobs they just wanted to travel in style.......

Last edited by JLFS; May 2nd 2010 at 5:26 pm.
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Funny that all the history books of the period state that many Andaluces had to migrate to find work - there was a huge migration to Barcelona too. One wonders why they left if they already had 3 jobs each

http://www.country-data.com/cgi-bin/query/r-12983.html
After the Spanish civil war many people left Spain for political reasons and did not return until Franco died.During those years .They went to South America and parts of Europe where they had families and work was plentiful. That left a shortage of tradesmen to cater for the upper and middle classes who desperately needed workers and a demand for catering staff as the beginning of the package deals had arrived and there was massive building along the coasts. Many people were lured to Barcelona to work in factories where wages were the highest in Spain. However those left to work in Andalucia needed to work all the hours they could just to keep afloat. No one wanted to work three jobs.
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JLFS
Thank you for the information, I shall mention it, if I just happen to bump into any Spanish that are worried about their future, I shall tell them the brutal truth, that there is no unemployment inSpain, it is a vicious rumour started by people with no jobs.

Oh THAT Spain........
I find your reply offensive just read carefully what I wrote and if you want to quote me do it in context No one has more sympathy for the unemployed than I do.
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:13 pm
Banned

Really? you could have fooled me.

I have just re read your post and I still see the same as before.

Could you please point to the part that shows the sympathy you mention.

I find your reply offensive just read carefully what I wrote and if you want to quote me do it in context No one has more sympathy for the unemployed than I do.
I did not take it out of context.

Also some of us posters on here know a little bit about Spain too, you know.