Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain: 1 in 5 out of Work !

Spain: 1 in 5 out of Work !

Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:04 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default Spain: 1 in 5 out of Work !

BBC's doom & gloom news today: Spain's unemployment rate has hit 20% for the first time in nearly 13 years, official figures have shown.

There were 4,612,700 people unemployed in the country at the end of March, the national statistics agency INE said.

Spain's jobless rate has risen sharply during the economic downturn and is the highest in the eurozone. end quote.

# The real figure is probably a lot higher !.... hey but "things can only get better" ... I look forward to the new boom - so be ready people - skill up, gen-up and learn the lingo - learn the lesson !
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:06 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain: 1 in 5 out of Work !

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
BBC's doom & gloom news today: Spain's unemployment rate has hit 20% for the first time in nearly 13 years, official figures have shown.

There were 4,612,700 people unemployed in the country at the end of March, the national statistics agency INE said.

Spain's jobless rate has risen sharply during the economic downturn and is the highest in the eurozone. end quote.

# The real figure is probably a lot higher !.... hey but "things can only get better" ... I look forward to the new boom - so be ready people - skill up, gen-up and learn the lingo - learn the lesson !
not really new news - but if the BBC is saying it maybe my dad in the UK will finally believe me!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

It would be interesting to know how this breaks down by location. I have a feeling that the rich cities aren't doing as badly as the poor countryside.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
not really new news - but if the BBC is saying it maybe my dad in the UK will finally believe me!
Yes when I go back to London for a business meeting people say "at least the situation in Spain can't be as bad as here" and this from businessmen! Tells me something about the lack of international news in the UK media
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:29 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Discussed on the Esuri thread today. Link I put on says 30% in málaga province Usually drops a bit during the summer season!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...614581&page=27
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

A truly awful figure, but....there is conversely a huge "black economy".
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:00 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is true but equally (according to spanish forums) all those who are not receiving unemployment benefit are not included
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

I'd be willing to bet a lot of the unemployed, are working in the black economy.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:50 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Those figures are truly horrendous, but I must be living in a bubble because all my Spanish friends and acquaintances are employed, and I live in what is considered a 'poor' area.
Old May 1st 2010, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by savateur
I'd be willing to bet a lot of the unemployed, are working in the black economy.
You can't blame them as there are no handouts or free rents as in the UK if you have no income you have to depend on friends and family or Caritas just to get enough to eat. There are more and more young middle class turning up at feeding centres just as there was in 1992 when we arrived in Spain. There was 22% unemployed and the rate of exchange was 166 pesetas to the pound and British pensioners were going back to the UK in droves as they couldn't manage on the state pension which was all many of them had and a large number lived in rented property. Things are worse if you are unemployed in big cities Madrid is full of unfinished housing estates which the Spanish buyers have paid up to half the price for and now have to repay their mortgage for homes that are unlikely to be completed or have services for a long time to come , if ever.
Old May 1st 2010, 8:46 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes when I go back to London for a business meeting people say "at least the situation in Spain can't be as bad as here" and this from businessmen! Tells me something about the lack of international news in the UK media
I'm lucky enough to be back in work (after a year out of work in the UK). I think that certain areas have held up - for example shops, as the low pound has attracted millions of tourists to the UK, well most of them to London and Oxford it seems. The IT industry has been very severly hit, but indications I'm getting from the IT contractors forum is that things have picked up a little in the last 3 months. A lot of concern though from contractors working on public projects as they realise that those projects will be cut after the election.
I suspect also that levels of unemployment are probably similar in the two countries, just that the way of measuring it is different. There are certainly plenty of people without a job in the UK:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-inactive.html

More than eight million people of working age - more than a fifth of the total - are not in paid employment, official figures show.
I see desperate people every day on my long journey into work in north London. Yet if you go down Charing Cross, Notting Hill or London Bridge there are plenty of affluent people. They say the "poor are always with us", I suspect "the rich" are always there too!
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:55 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an interesting breakdown of the unemployment figures in the different regions on an English-language blog:

http://oreneta.com/kalebeul/2010/04/...n-on-the-dole/

In Andalucia there are 2,891,000 people in work, supporting 1,081,000 people out of work
In Catalunya there are 3,099,000 people in work, supporting 676,000 people out of work
In Madrid (province) there are 2,863,000 people in work, supporting 552,000 people out of work.
Perhaps the best ratio is in the Basque country: 928,000 people in work, supporting 113,000 people out of work. (Asturias and Cantabria appear to have a lower level of unemployment too)

So, based on those figures, the best places to find work are in Catalunya, Madrid and the Basque country, although to be fair the figures do not (and cannot) take account of (possibly seasonal ) black economy work.
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:05 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Interesting!

So our our 'Hondon' regions beong Valanciana and Murcia - it's about 23% [SCARY ].. although for sure with the Costas along here there is a BIG - I mean BIG black economy and seasonal work and many exPats don't register as unemployed (how they manage I just don't know).
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:29 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

If anyone wants to compare - here are the UK 'employment stats' - http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12

?
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:30 am
Banned

A spanish friend claims that the black economy is not so large now on the CDS as they have been doing many inspections in bars and restaurants since the recession. I also read in Sur that the jobless figure is higher because only those receiving unemployment benefit are counted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.