Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

: Smoking ban 1-July-2007 !!! :

: Smoking ban 1-July-2007 !!! :

Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:29 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: : Smoking ban 1-July-2007 !!! :

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
'I love my fags' My sister said to me which I can't understand as she felt the pain we all felt when my sweet Mum slipped away.

An old work colleague used to say 'I love doing the odd line' (cocaine) and really saw nothing wrong with it.

Fags, cocaine - whatever, its addictive to various degrees and watching someone else take it is like seeing them on self destruct.

It might not happen to you but then again it might, but its one hell of a gamble.

Its my 40th birthday soon and my Mum should have been here to send me a card, make a fuss of me and sing 'Happy Birthday' tunelessly down the phone to me at 8am on 7th August.

I feel cheated of this because there isn't anything I wouldn't give to have just one minute with her and that is a pain you cannot understand until you have been through it.

Don't put those you love through it. I know its hard to give up smoking - I gave up many years ago.

But I said it earlier and I will say it again - Cancer hurts and in more ways than one.

(bloody hell, Got myself all upset now)

I think it is the day for remembering mums, I had a weep earlier although I blamed the onion. Big hugs to you PP. and do what Rosemary told me, let it out don't keep it in.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:32 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
I think it is the day for remembering mums, I had a weep earlier although I blamed the onion. Big hugs to you PP. and do what Rosemary told me, let it out don't keep it in.
You do get those 'bad mum moments' don't you? Horrible.

Its only when you realise that you will never see a person again that you discover their value and then of course, it is far too late.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:33 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

'I love my fags' My sister said to me which I can't understand as she felt the pain we all felt when my sweet Mum slipped away.

An old work colleague used to say 'I love doing the odd line' (cocaine) and really saw nothing wrong with it.

Fags, cocaine - whatever, its addictive to various degrees and watching someone else take it is like seeing them on self destruct.

It might not happen to you but then again it might, but its one hell of a gamble.

Its my 40th birthday soon and my Mum should have been here to send me a card, make a fuss of me and sing 'Happy Birthday' tunelessly down the phone to me at 8am on 7th August.

I feel cheated of this because there isn't anything I wouldn't give to have just one minute with her and that is a pain you cannot understand until you have been through it.

Don't put those you love through it. I know its hard to give up smoking - I gave up many years ago.

But I said it earlier and I will say it again - Cancer hurts and in more ways than one.

oh you poor love, i'm sure everyone will join me in sending you a big warm hug. I know exactly how you feel,9 years ago I lost my aunt at the age of only 52 to cancer, not smoking related, but barely a day goes by that i don't wish i could talk to her or tell her some news over a cuppa. I can't even talk about her now without crying, my eyes are filling now just typing this. She was my best friend and i only hope there is a heaven so i can see her again some day.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:44 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
do you know what, I think that the beautiful Sam has said all I ever needed to say thanks.
Well the gorgeous sexy intelligent jandy44 has said everything i needed to say so there
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:39 am
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Well the gorgeous sexy intelligent jandy44 has said everything i needed to say so there
but you seem to be brushing over everything else that has been said but the others Pete, what it basically comes down to is i don't care if anyone decides to play Russian roulette with their lives. Just don't play it with mine or my loved ones.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:50 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
but you seem to be brushing over everything else that has been said but the others Pete, what it basically comes down to is i don't care if anyone decides to play Russian roulette with their lives. Just don't play it with mine or my loved ones.
the words dead, horse and flogging come to mind.

In my experience smokers don't give a rot about anything other than their "right" to pollute their bodies and those of the people around them.

Not long back I sat in a pub with some mates and they continued not only to smoke but one of their girlfriends kept blowing smoke in my face.
After a few pints my bowls started to rumble so not caring about social etiquette I simply let rip with a rather loud fart.

The 5 of them all turned around and were horrified, the girl was really pissed.

My reply was, "Sorry, but since you guys don't give a crap about my sensitivities I don't give a crap about yours!"
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:07 am
Fed up in England!!

In my experience smokers don't give a rot about anything other than their "right" to pollute their bodies and those of the people around them.

Not long back I sat in a pub with some mates and they continued not only to smoke but one of their girlfriends kept blowing smoke in my face.
After a few pints my bowls started to rumble so not caring about social etiquette I simply let rip with a rather loud fart.

My reply was, "Sorry, but since you guys don't give a crap about my sensitivities I don't give a crap about yours!"
My Hero!!!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:16 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rugbymatt;5011302]the words dead, horse and flogging come to mind.

I would not deny any smoker the right to smoke but I do object to them having the right to cause problems for others in public places.

We all know that the environment has many pollutants, we all know that there are many things that we can do about it and there is new legislation regularly to ensure that we do our bit.

The saddest thing of all for me is that so called intelligent people are taking their chances with the biggest known cancer causer. These same people would probably be horrified if you suggested that they should commit suicide and provided them with the means to do the task. However, they continue to effectively take their own lives and expect others to also put their lives in danger too and it is the non-smokers who are viewed as anti-social. It really does beggar belief.

People who say that they know so many people who have smoked all of their lives with no problems or talk about people dying of illnesses that are not smoking related are burying their heads in the sand and trying to convince themselves that it is alright to continue smoking.

As my grandson says 'Why? When there is so much information and statistics telling them the dangers'.

Rosemary
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:33 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hi Professional Princess
Ive just read your post and it is very close to my heart also (still crying now as i write this) - my mum died 4 years ago in October from lung cancer - found out on the 1st September and she died on the 1st October - she didnt stand a chance. She too missed my 40th, my eldest sons 18th and 21st and my youngest sons 18th, she missed my dads 80th, my brothers 50th and my nieces 21st - all very hard days for us to cope with - she didnt see my youngest son get his GCSEs or my eldest when he passed his apprentiship - all of which she would of been so proud - she will never see my grandchildren (if i ever have any ) and all because of fags. She actually apologised for smoking before she died coz she wouldnt be there for us.

All you smokers beware please - coz it creeps up on you and sometimes there is nothing they can do like in my mums case - my mums lungs kept filling up with fluid and she had to have them drained 4 or 5 times - now my mum in far from soft she had a very tough upbringing in a very poor family and they all had to fight for survival - she said this was the worst pain she had ever felt and on three of the occasions she passed out as the pain was so severe - yes she was awake through each one of them - after watching my mum go through all that pain i would be devestated if any of you had to go through the same as she did it was inhumaine - in reality my mum died by drowning by the fluid in her own lungs and believe me it wasnt nice - it wasnt nice for her and it was horrific for us who where there when she was going through all that and the bit ive told you is only a very small part of what she went through.

Like PP said before it is a habbit and it is hard to give up BUT if you can please do so - if you cant do it for yourself then do it for your family - 3 1/2 years on and my kids are still suffering as are the rest of us - coz it dont get any easier no matter what people tell you.

Right im off my soap box now. Take care everyone and look after yourselves.
Big big hug to you Professional Princess i know exactaly what youve been through and how you feel.
Love Sam
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:05 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities

The saddest thing of all for me is that so called intelligent people are taking their chances with the biggest known cancer causer.

Rosemary
There is actually a guy in my local, a smart intelligent guy, and a professional, who thinks that there is absolutely no danger and that we are being lied to by the gov and scientists to suit their own means.

He honestly thinks that it is a conspiracy.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:16 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

I have found that very often very highly intelligent people dont have a lot of common sense and you need this to survive - sorry get the shot guns out i know - see i will address the balance - i have a lot of common sense but no intelligence .
The government arn't bothered whether we smoke or not - infact its more beneficial for them that we do coz they then get more money so if anything they are trying to get us to think that smoking is not good for us coz who the hell listens to good advice anyway???
Take care all
Sam
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:52 am
Fed up in England!!

There is actually a guy in my local, a smart intelligent guy, and a professional, who thinks that there is absolutely no danger and that we are being lied to by the gov and scientists to suit their own means.

He honestly thinks that it is a conspiracy.
is that why smokers have to pay higher insurance premiums? because theres no rink?? what an idiot, hope he`s not in charge of anything important!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Sam, Christine and Professional Princess and anyone else that has been affected in a similar way all know the negative effects of losing someone to this self destructive habit.

Although I nursed my mother through her illness nearly 22 years ago the horrors of it all remain in my head so fresh that it feels like a lot less time ago.
Many years before her death she had a lung Xray which showed that her lungs were clear and I begged her to give up but her response was to continue and she could not see why I was so concerned and thought that I was just nagging and I think that is what most smokers think.

As you say it is the anniversaries, birthdays etc that they should have been there for that are distressing. Bereavement is horrible for everyone but I think that it is the loses that could have easily been avoided that stress us out more. We become angry with the person because they did not give up their addiction in order to be around for us and our families and this makes the grief harder to cope with and makes us more sensitive.

Rosemary
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:00 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:05 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Sam, Christine and Professional Princess and anyone else that has been affected in a similar way all know the negative effects of losing someone to this self destructive habit.

Although I nursed my mother through her illness nearly 22 years ago the horrors of it all remain in my head so fresh that it feels like a lot less time ago.
Many years before her death she had a lung Xray which showed that her lungs were clear and I begged her to give up but her response was to continue and she could not see why I was so concerned and thought that I was just nagging and I think that is what most smokers think.

As you say it is the anniversaries, birthdays etc that they should have been there for that are distressing. Bereavement is horrible for everyone but I think that it is the loses that could have easily been avoided that stress us out more. We become angry with the person because they did not give up their addiction in order to be around for us and our families and this makes the grief harder to cope with and makes us more sensitive.

Rosemary
I fully agree, my father died on Christmas day, we knew he was close to death as he had slipped into a coma. The nurses at the hospice said there was no point in staying as he was extremely unlikely to come out of it, although they did promise that someone from the hospice would be with him all the time. We got the phone call at 22:30 on Christmas daay to say he had died in his sleep. Christmas just isn't the same now, he had bought presents for the nurses there before becoming too ill, and we gave them out on boxing day. Its 6 years ago now, but I still get emotional when thinking about it..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.