Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sleeping Problems

Sleeping Problems

Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sleeping Problems

Originally Posted by anonimouse
What I always do is try to think of nothing, it's not easy, as many thoughts come.

You really have to work hard to do it right. Hopefully the next thing you know you're waking up

Works for me.
Same with me but have that when I wake up in the middle of the night. I then need to force myself to thing of nothing. If not I am doomed and will then will lie awake for a couple of hours.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HBG
During stressful times, I find getting to sleep difficult and don't force myself because it doesn't work. I get up and do something, mostly reading, even if it's just on the internet.

Of course alcohol helps, as in a couple of whiskies to relax. Drinking a whole bottle will also put you to sleep, but it has horrendous side effects and you might not be able to sleep for the next few nights.

The odd sleepless night is not a big deal, we all suffer from them occasionally.
While a coupe of whiskeys is great for falling asleep I usually wake up after a few hours. Some people do classify alcohol as a stimulant I believe.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Many people will disagree and insist that they sleep better after a whack of caffiene. But removing caffiene entirely (as much as possible) from your life will help. Put it back if needed as a wake-up but never after 4pm.
Also don't take sugar or fruit (the same thing) after teatime (english teatime).
Passiflora helps slightly and as the captain's wench says antihistimines, especially if you're itchy.
If all else fails get up and enjoy the cool of the night with a cup of decaff tea!
Other people have said worrying about it is the worst thing. Best of luck
Old Apr 17th 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
A long ago I gave up trying to sleep, if I can't I just get up and do something else. I have been known to be at craft table all night, have breakfast and just keep going. I will not take sleeping pills, a piriton make me dopey enough ! I was told to sleep when you need to and not worry about.

In my recent circumstances I did that just, I seldom sleep during the day unless ill. I think it is better to try and keep to days are being awake and night for sleep if it comes if not do so be it.

Have you tried taking a brisk walk before bed ? cutting out caffine ? long soak in bath ? I only ever have a small night cap if having one at all, it does not seem to make the situation any better for me.
What I said was I would not take sleeping pills as piriton makes me dopey enough, I not suggesting taking piriton to get to sleep. Sorry if it sounded like I was.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Rough night last night with this cold but I did remember that I used to wire myself for sound and listen to music in bed when could not sleep. No help last night as ears sore. My sister has a lot to answer for giving me her cold
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:00 am
Banned

dubaiexpert is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Sleeping Problems

if you smoke or drink alcohol or coffee... you should stop or reduce it. also heavy meals before bedtime will increase the issue ...hope that helps.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

I've always had a problem sleeping even as a child.
Especially here in Spain in July and August there is really no point in me even trying to sleep until the night air cools, that's why you will often see me on here late at night!
About 3am it's time for me to give it a try as it's getting cooler then, but I never worry about it as I don't have to get up for work in the mornings, I stay there until I wake naturally....unless of course the damned phone rings!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:05 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
I've always had a problem sleeping even as a child.
Especially here in Spain in July and August there is really no point in me even trying to sleep until the night air cools, that's why you will often see me on here late at night!
About 3am it's time for me to give it a try as it's getting cooler then, but I never worry about it as I don't have to get up for work in the mornings, I stay there until I wake naturally....unless of course the damned phone rings!
unplug it ! !
simples !
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:07 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
unplug it ! !
simples !
Right enough.
The phone has always been a slave to me as and when I need it, rather than vice versa as it appears to be with many.
It's off at night time and siesta time plus any other time I don't care to be bothered, except of course the odd time I may be expecting an important call.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:18 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Right enough.
The phone has always been a slave to me as and when I need it, rather than vice versa as it appears to be with many.
It's off at night time and siesta time plus any other time I don't care to be bothered, except of course the odd time I may be expecting an important call.
too many years being at the end of a mobile phone, before that a pager

it really started to enter the corporate brain when I was sitting at a beach hut in Canaries drinking a cool beer when my deputy phoned to say the central heating hadnt come on that morning and they were freezing.
he never did understand why I laughed.
he never did understand why I kept telling him the temp where I was.
(I did eventually tell him what buttons to press to get it back on)

now all phones, private, office, mobile are all on low volume.
if its important they will ring again or leave a message
must be getting old or less competitive - or both.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

unplug it ! !
simples !
I wish I could.....
But having an 88 year old mother living alone and who has on occasion had a bad fall, I need to be contactable at all times.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:10 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

too many years being at the end of a mobile phone, before that a pager

it really started to enter the corporate brain when I was sitting at a beach hut in Canaries drinking a cool beer when my deputy phoned to say the central heating hadnt come on that morning and they were freezing.
he never did understand why I laughed.
he never did understand why I kept telling him the temp where I was.
(I did eventually tell him what buttons to press to get it back on)

now all phones, private, office, mobile are all on low volume.
if its important they will ring again or leave a message
must be getting old or less competitive - or both.
Yeah. 30 years of being the slave of the lamp meant that when I moved out here I gave mine away, and for the last 18 months I was very happy without one. I have had to get a cheap one so that I can phone the other half when one of us is out somewhere, or we are separated in the town. However, now it is my slave, which is a much healthier option.

I did stop wearing a watch 5 years ago, and that's one item I'm not going back to.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by megmet
I wish I could.....
But having an 88 year old mother living alone and who has on occasion had a bad fall, I need to be contactable at all times.
which in the case of my oh's mother is normally at abt 2,3 in the morning, when its dark and because of the alzheimers doesnt think to turn the light on so either falls getting out of bed or in the bathroom

luckily her brother is only 10miles away, he chose the home, but doesnt drive, so it takes him an hour on public transport to get there

still better than catching a plane I suppose
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah. 30 years of being the slave of the lamp meant that when I moved out here I gave mine away, and for the last 18 months I was very happy without one. I have had to get a cheap one so that I can phone the other half when one of us is out somewhere, or we are separated in the town. However, now it is my slave, which is a much healthier option.

I did stop wearing a watch 5 years ago, and that's one item I'm not going back to.
yup thats all we use ours for, useful for phoning 2 rings (not pings Vasilley) when ready for a skype to landline call,

turning a mobile into a slave must mean you are well and truely retired bil, although I know some who are still slaves in their 70's

by the way, anyone found that skype to uk landline call quality has deteriorated over the past few months ??
(skype to skype no problem just the uk landline)
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:11 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

yup thats all we use ours for, useful for phoning 2 rings (not pings Vasilley) when ready for a skype to landline call,

turning a mobile into a slave must mean you are well and truely retired bil, although I know some who are still slaves in their 70's

by the way, anyone found that skype to uk landline call quality has deteriorated over the past few months ??
(skype to skype no problem just the uk landline)
It's my slave ok, and yes, I have truly retired. Back in the yuppie era the status symbol was the phone that looked and weighed in like a couple of house bricks strapped together.

Next came the era of the tiny phone, one of the few items to make a man boast 'Mine's smaller than yours.'

The true status tho has always been in being unreachable.

Did you see this advert? When it came out forst I was worrying about whether I would be able to take early retirement, so it was alwyas very true to how I fet, just not about suits.

The guy is running thru the woods, and at first the undergrowth almost entirely conceals him. The soundline goes

"Dream at age 17. Own suit.
Dream at age 25. Own handmade suit.
Dream at age 50. Burn suit."

and with that the guy runs thru the last of the undergrowth, he's nekkid, and he jumps into the sea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.