Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Simple Question Simple Answer Thread

The Simple Question Simple Answer Thread

Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of
Default The Simple Question Simple Answer Thread

There must be many queries in the minds of prospective ex-pats. Some require complex investigation, and others nothing more than a simple yes/no type of answer. I’m hoping as time passes this thread will provide a lot of Simple Answers. The forum should benefit from not seeing the same questions again and again, and people new to the forum will hopefully find it a mine of information. I’d like to start the ball rolling with my first simple question:

Are standard bayonet cap (BC) light bulbs easily available in Spanish shops at prices similar to the Edison screw (E27 ES) bulbs?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:07 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Simple Question Simple Answer Thread

Originally Posted by toyboy23
There must be many queries in the minds of prospective ex-pats. Some require complex investigation, and others nothing more than a simple yes/no type of answer. I’m hoping as time passes this thread will provide a lot of Simple Answers. The forum should benefit from not seeing the same questions again and again, and people new to the forum will hopefully find it a mine of information. I’d like to start the ball rolling with my first simple question:

Are standard bayonet cap (BC) light bulbs easily available in Spanish shops at prices similar to the Edison screw (E27 ES) bulbs?
No, No. ;-)
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Mr Impish will become famous soon enoughMr Impish will become famous soon enough

No, all ES and small ES fittings and bulbs. Not seen lights on sale with any BC fittings. Hope this is not too long for you.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

Thank you both for your simple answers!

An add-on question: are the energy-saving bulbs on sale, the sort where 11 watts = a 60 watt output?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:10 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

An add-on question: are the energy-saving bulbs on sale, the sort where 11 watts = a 60 watt output?

energy saving bulb here in the local chinese emporium is about 3 euros! Bit of a difference to the price in the UK.
I can post here cos I'm simple
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Mitzyboy. Although 3€ sounds cheap, our local (Surrey) Tesco was churning them out for close to 1€ recently, though it was a special offer. Everything has to be simple for me too!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:50 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
No, No. ;-)
couldn't get more simple!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

not easily avaliable but you can buy them in dunns and other british supermarkets.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:39 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Simple answer is........ NO, you may have to go to the British shops, and they will cost a premium. Spanish shops unlikely to have them unless you go to the big supermarkets like Carrefour. Best idea is, unless you are very attached to your table lamps, not to bring them but buy here as they will have the screw fitting, also please note, Spanish lamp shades not not normally fit UK lamps, the collars are different sizes.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:39 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. for the screw fittings..
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

The cheap energy-saving light bulbs are a false economy. They only last for a few months and sometimes only weeks.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. Feel free to add your own simple questions if you want. On to my next one.

I understand that Spanish TV is a PAL system, but not compatible with UK PAL. As the SCART sockets bypass the tuner, can you connect a British VCR or DVD player to a Spanish set and use it? (not to record, just to play)
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
The cheap energy-saving light bulbs are a false economy. They only last for a few months and sometimes only weeks.
That's not my experience of later UK production. In the beginning they didn't seem so good. Are you talking specifically of Spanish bought items, and where were they made?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Yes, it was a cheap Spanish make I had trouble with. I use more expensive ones now and they last for years.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

BriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
I'd have to disagree with this statement.
We have about 15 energy saving bulbs throughout the house.
Cost about €1 each and all still going strong 12 months later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.