Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Selling a Spanish-plated vehicle in Spain.

Selling a Spanish-plated vehicle in Spain.

Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a Spanish-plated vehicle in Spain.

Well, Spain, I really wish you luck with this. My thinking though is, that that won't cut any ice with the policia if the new owner is stopped by them and s/he doesn't meet all the documentation requirements.

Our experience highlighted that all the Trafico office was interested in was who is the registered owner and fine them accordingly, if the official transfer of ownership had not been completed.

Good luck with your chosen method.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

well now youve got me worried as the solicitor assured me this is the bext way to do it

I dont really have any concerns as the guy buying my car is an older English gentleman but it does make you wonder whats the point if this "contracto" isnt worth the paper its written on
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
well now youve got me worried as the solicitor assured me this is the bext way to do it

I dont really have any concerns as the guy buying my car is an older English gentleman but it does make you wonder whats the point if this "contracto" isnt worth the paper its written on
I think Arcos probably right .... they'll go for the easy option, and the contract you have will be of use only for any action between you and the buyer
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Spain, I don't know if you've let the car go yet, but if you haven't, one solution would be to hang on to the vehicle until your purchaser returns with his Permiso de Circulación from Trafico, proving his transfer of ownership.

The other is to go with the purchaser to the Trafico to register a Debajo de Matricula. If neither of you speaks enough Spanish, you could pay for an interpreter or gestor - they are not as expensive as lawyers.

All the best.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Here's some more information in case anyone finds themselves in the same situation.

We've been sitting back this week, in all optimism, waiting for the dosh to be paid in. Ha, ha! Nooooo. We went down to the Hacienda this morning with the document and were told to fill in a form of Recurso de Reposición by one official and to return to the ground floor. Downstairs, the official didn't look at the documents but in answer to my question about when the money would be paid, it seemed he'd assumed we needed to pay them and said the bank would notify us. We straightened that out, that we were expecting money, and he wanted us to go away and get our bank account details. My reasoning was they had no problem finding that info. when they wanted the money, they had to have it in their computer. They did, and that was added to the form. The punchline is, when we asked him how long before we get the dosh .....maybe a month, maybe more!

So, no big spend-up yet.....
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Well it's only 7 months since we looked forward to a serious bit of retail therapy with the refund of the fine.

They sent a cheque in February but to our home address, where the mail is not delivered (which caused the problem in the first instance). The Hacienda couldn't cancel the cheque and do a bank transfer as it's the law in Spain that a period of 3 months must pass to prove it's not cashed.

Well worth all the regular calls and visits to the Hacienda - last week, finally, we got it, paid direct into the bank!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:26 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
Well it's only 7 months since we looked forward to a serious bit of retail therapy with the refund of the fine.

They sent a cheque in February but to our home address, where the mail is not delivered (which caused the problem in the first instance). The Hacienda couldn't cancel the cheque and do a bank transfer as it's the law in Spain that a period of 3 months must pass to prove it's not cashed.

Well worth all the regular calls and visits to the Hacienda - last week, finally, we got it, paid direct into the bank!
Glad to hear you got the money at last - would that be with interest I bet not but it should be! Still, at least you got it back, well done!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, would you Adam 'n Eve it - with interest!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:21 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
Yes, would you Adam 'n Eve it - with interest!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:34 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
It happened 18 months ago.
You cant actually break the law and then sue the authorities for fining you.
You must carry all required paperwork with the vehicle, ITV, Road Tax and Insurance which has to be produced at the time on demand.
Although everything was legal, the paperwork was not carried and produced, that was what the fine was for, although I dont know why he didn`t produce it or perhaps he did, but it was pursued because he had no licence.
In the UK I think the law is 7 days to produce it.
Also him driving without a licence voided the insurance and if the car is in your name it is your responsibility.
For some strange reason also any debts to companies etc can be taken from your bank account without your consent.
But the person who was fined had not committed a crime!

And they took money from his bank account without his knowledge or consent!

This is never right, surely?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:43 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP - glad it all worked OK in the end.

If we ever sell our car (now Spanish reg), or our scooter, (bought and registered in Spain) I will insist that we all go to Trafico together and do the transfer.

Same as you do with a Notario if you buy a house.

If there is anything that will drive me back to the UK, it is things like this when the powers that be just use their power as the mood takes them, without caring about what the law is and get away with it. Even with people sticking up for them for doing it!:curse: As a previous poster said, this is an EU country, you expect to be treated fairly.

Rant over, sorry!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Grazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the rough

I have lived in Spain for 22 years and got my fingers burnt more that once over buying and selling cars.

Now! I will only buy or sell a vehicle if the other party is prepared to come to Gestorias office with me, to do the paperwork.

Anybody who won’t go with you to the Gestor, is not interested in doing a Straight deal.

Believe me after 22 years, I have learned that in Spain All your papers must be in order All the time.

It works out cheaper that way in the end.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
But the person who was fined had not committed a crime!

And they took money from his bank account without his knowledge or consent!

This is never right, surely?
The car was still in the old owners name, so they are liable for any fines, parking tickets etc, and god forbid a fatal accident.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:08 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by jdr
The car was still in the old owners name, so they are liable for any fines, parking tickets etc, and god forbid a fatal accident.
Yes I understand that.

But it is not a just law, is it? It was the person who'd bought the car who'd failed to comply with the law.

I understand some things are different here, but we don't have to pretend they are OK when they are not.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Grazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the rough

Hi All,

In Spain if you allow another person to use your car i.e. you sell it but fail to get them to go with you either to El departamiento de Trafico or an intermediary (Gestor) even though they have paid you money in full for it:
· You are breaking the law, as it is your responsibility to ensure that the registration is transferred into the name of the new owner.
· If they break the law in what is regarded in law, as still your car the police, if they fail to detain the driver will come to your address.

The answer is so simple, when you sell a vehicle go to a h
Gistoria or directly to Trafico and make sure that both vendor and purchaser sign on the dotted line.

Any purchaser who will not go with you to the Gestor, is not acting legally.

I hope that information helps some members.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.