Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Scruffy Rag Tag Bunch...

Scruffy Rag Tag Bunch...

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scruffy Rag Tag Bunch...

Why are so many ex pats such a scruffy bunch? I see so many shell suited, unwashed,dirty shoed, unshaven Brits its embarasing, many excessivley over weight,Why do so many Brits have no pride in their appearance these days? clothes/soap and water are very cheap, the Spanish manage it on a lot less money.

Rgds

Rotor
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:44 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Re: Scruffy Rag Tag Bunch...

Originally Posted by Rotor
Why are so many ex pats such a scruffy bunch? I see so many shell suited, unwashed,dirty shoed, unshaven Brits its embarasing, many excessivley over weight,Why do so many Brits have no pride in their appearance these days? clothes/soap and water are very cheap, the Spanish manage it on a lot less money.

Rgds

Rotor

I say Rotor haven't you heard that Toffs as we are called by the masses do like to dress down somewhat I mean the day of dressing like my old friend Peter York are long gone except for church on Sunday. I think a lot of the Younger set started copying Branson and it was very uncool to wear any form of neckwear so you can speak to your lesser on a level plain. I must say my shoes are kept in shoe trees and then cloth bags but doesn't everyone. I can not speak for the chav type of which there are a few in my neck of the woods they tend to live in the hills in Gennie land. I never speak with them I wouldn't in the UK why should I be different 2 hours flying time away. I feel sorry for the genuine people who have retired and are finding things hard they have worked all their lives and wish for a little sun on their backs. The chavs and reinvented liars well the UK and the dole and black economy is only a ryanair flight away.
Sign in English found at Entrance to Catalonia below and of course the ex/pat board game and ohhh the English summer at Henley pimms and totty.

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:39 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:51 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Rgds

Rotor
Tell me whereabouts in Spain you are so I know not to go there!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:54 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

where can I get that version of Monopoly ?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Nosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really nice

Well I am one of the scruffs you talk about and yes I am overweight. I am clean however but I like to be comfortable when wandering about so tracky bottoms and T shirts are the order of the day. I wear a smart suit for work so I am only too glad to dump it when I am in my own time.

I like to think I dress appropriately most of the time, I wore my suit to meet our Spanish Lawyer etc but I think the problem is others perception not with me.

The old adage of judging a book by its cover spring to mind.

I also think Its a generational thing. The old 'smart' values which sprang from the wartime services and previous generations were lost during the sixties by the younger generation. With all that ironing and starched collars required, I am not keen to bring them back
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
where can I get that version of Monopoly ?

I borrowed it from Same difference
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Nosherlot
Well I am one of the scruffs you talk about and yes I am overweight. I am clean however but I like to be comfortable when wandering about so tracky bottoms and T shirts are the order of the day. I wear a smart suit for work so I am only too glad to dump it when I am in my own time.

I like to think I dress appropriately most of the time, I wore my suit to meet our Spanish Lawyer etc but I think the problem is others perception not with me.

The old adage of judging a book by its cover spring to mind.

I also think Its a generational thing. The old 'smart' values which sprang from the wartime services and previous generations were lost during the sixties by the younger generation. With all that ironing and starched collars required, I am not keen to bring them back

They have never left

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:39 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:40 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
I borrowed it from Same difference
Ohhhhh - you are cheeky
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:14 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Ohhhhh - you are cheeky
you must be in a expat area we dress comfortably but not scruffy . but then what looks scruffy to one might not be to another,
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by helenba
you must be in a expat area we dress comfortably but not scruffy . but then what looks scruffy to one might not be to another,
me ?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Same Difference
Tell me whereabouts in Spain you are so I know not to go there!

My work takes all along the coast from Gib upto Almeria ,thats where I see them!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nosherlot
I`m only in my forties!! I dont go as far as starched collars but I do polish my shoes daily, wear an ironed shirt ,shower and shave etc, Guess it was my military training that drilled it into me!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:36 pm

I`m only in my forties!! I dont go as far as starched collars but I do polish my shoes daily, wear an ironed shirt ,shower and shave etc, Guess it was my military training that drilled it into me!
when you polish your shoes do you spit on them ?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:45 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

but also your milatry traing should have taught you to blend in with the crowd
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:15 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't see many shell suits these days. Still plenty of elderly Spanish tottering around in those flowery smock type dresses that you see in the markets. If you wander round Fuengirola you may see some 40 and even fifty something Brits wandering around with their stomachs hanging out of their jeans. Some even have a navel stud, not a pretty sight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.