Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ryanair - Good News ?

Ryanair - Good News ?

Old Apr 30th 2012, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryanair - Good News ?

Well said.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Mike, I don't think the average passenger is interested in little niceties about one group being employed by the Home Secretary and the other the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
They are all Civil Servants in the employ of the Government to serve the people.

When you have a train to catch and the Border queue doesnt appear to be moving to eventually find people standing around having a chat with nothing to do your anger rises just a little.
In exactly the same way as the delays from Land to Air at Stansted being caused by the automatic machinery that shunts the trays through the viewing system. It is so automated they have to employ a person to move the trays from the end back onto the start of the system.
It's hardly a nicety - it's like blaming the people who make the coffee for the BA delays. It sounds like you have a coleric lash out at every one in sight when you are slightly inconvenienced. That's hardly fair is it?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&noredirect=1#!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
It's hardly a nicety - it's like blaming the people who make the coffee for the BA delays. It sounds like you have a coleric lash out at every one in sight when you are slightly inconvenienced. That's hardly fair is it?
I'd have thought feeling aggrieved that there are 'spare' staff doing nothing isn't really choleric lashing out..... but then it isn't 'Ryanair Good News' either!

In answer to the thread title: For O'Mick, sure. For the rest of us, jury's out. Some love it some hate it some go on it because they have NOT got an alternative. Sometimes the reason is he's put the alternatives out of business. See penultimate sentence and goodbye!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
NOOOOOOO... Blood pressure won't take more than about 12.5 seconds of the man
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I found it!!!!

http://www.london-luton.co.uk/en/sea...abin%20baggage

except the link they give goes nowhere
The reason the link goes nowhere is that is an out of date link and probably dates back to the higher levels of security just after the bombs-on-plane scare.

If you read the current security page there is no reference to any restriction on numbers. It's a bit academic as the airlines will still restrict you to one bag so that they can charge you for any extras to increase their profits. My OH regularly puts her handbag and laptop bag through seperately and then packs them into the cabin bag in Departures.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The reason the link goes nowhere is that is an out of date link and probably dates back to the higher levels of security just after the bombs-on-plane scare.

If you read the current security page there is no reference to any restriction on numbers. It's a bit academic as the airlines will still restrict you to one bag so that they can charge you for any extras to increase their profits. My OH regularly puts her handbag and laptop bag through seperately and then packs them into the cabin bag in Departures.
Me too.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:44 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Let's have a look at Ryanair shall we..

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...airlineCode=FR

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...airlineCode=SK

Though these two only comapre the top 20 flights, it gives an indication. Ryanair have also been reported to advertise flight times longer than actuality, which might explain the deviation in the 'leavign on time' and 'arriving on time' sections.
Yes, the Ryanair flight time is always less than the advertised time.
which is why the other week I had a wry smile when we were sitting at the end of the runway (Malaga) because a flight landing had reported a birdstrike and the runway had to be inspected for detritus which meant we were over 20mins late leaving. So we didnt get the hunting horn thankfully.

They also keep to the boarding time to the absolute minimum, no matter how long the aircraft has sat on the runway, continually putting pressure on people to get seated "so we can meet our flight slot",

The best flight I have had from Malaga was an Easyjet, they opened the gate without telling anyone and people just dribbled through from the gate in a very relaxed manner. Couple behind me were complaining they had paid for priority boarding but had got into the tunnel behind others who hadnt. (Tough). The cabin crew were relaxed and had smiles that meant something rather than checking in the mirror every 15mins to see if it had slipped.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, the Ryanair flight time is always less than the advertised time. (snip)
This is second hand, but a pilot of a much-loved national airline who flies from Heathrow but is very familiar with Malaga (and no doubt many other locations)once told me that it's not beyond *some* o'nameless budget airlines to be approaching an airport and claim they're low on fuel in order to get an earlier landing slot.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 2:00 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
This is second hand, but a pilot of a much-loved national airline who flies from Heathrow but is very familiar with Malaga (and no doubt many other locations)once told me that it's not beyond *some* o'nameless budget airlines to be approaching an airport and claim they're low on fuel in order to get an earlier landing slot.
nothing new, a couple of guys tried it regularly on an aircraft carrier, thinking they would get preference as no one wants to see a £multi-million aircraft get a float test.
Didnt work, take your turn.
And their tanks got checked on landing.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 2:22 am

WTF have I done to upset you - next you will be telling me you are a civil servant.

Believe it or not, The Customer Is Always Right and The Customer Is Never Wrong.
It is the customer who pays the wages of people standing around doing nothing, the same customer who has had to walk from the farthest end of the airport because all systems have been turned off - even the escalators.
It is the customer who has had to put up with so called Customer Service by people who want the night shift pay but not do the duty.

Like many people of my age I can remember the time when being employed meant doing a job, not just turning up. We also DID the job, and if a plane arrives late - for whatever reason - we don't expect everyone to slope off because it is their break time, we expect to be treated with the same service as they get during the rest of the day.
When the schedules show 3 planes arriving in a 15min period we expect to see the Border Control to be full not 2 people scared witless hiding behind notices telling customers about anti-social behaviour and muttering "we are protecting the country's borders".

Now why are there 8-10 people standing around in Customs at 2355 when there is no one for them to pounce on ? ? How many more are there sitting watching CCTV screens ? ?
How much is that costing The Customer ??

So Mike, remember who and what put the Great into Britain and get people off their a***s and doing the job they are being paid for.

oh and by the way - BA now has coffee machines not people.!!
(and the filling of the machines is outsourced to contractors)

Enjoy
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

WTF have I done to upset you - next you will be telling me you are a civil servant.

Believe it or not, The Customer Is Always Right and The Customer Is Never Wrong.
It is the customer who pays the wages of people standing around doing nothing, the same customer who has had to walk from the farthest end of the airport because all systems have been turned off - even the escalators.
It is the customer who has had to put up with so called Customer Service by people who want the night shift pay but not do the duty.

Like many people of my age I can remember the time when being employed meant doing a job, not just turning up. We also DID the job, and if a plane arrives late - for whatever reason - we don't expect everyone to slope off because it is their break time, we expect to be treated with the same service as they get during the rest of the day.
When the schedules show 3 planes arriving in a 15min period we expect to see the Border Control to be full not 2 people scared witless hiding behind notices telling customers about anti-social behaviour and muttering "we are protecting the country's borders".

Now why are there 8-10 people standing around in Customs at 2355 when there is no one for them to pounce on ? ? How many more are there sitting watching CCTV screens ? ?
How much is that costing The Customer ??

So Mike, remember who and what put the Great into Britain and get people off their a***s and doing the job they are being paid for.

oh and by the way - BA now has coffee machines not people.!!
(and the filling of the machines is outsourced to contractors)

Enjoy
I was merely pointing out that the Customs officers have no more responsibility for Border Control than the people who make the coffee in Costa - so why give them a hard time? Do you never watch Border Control on the telly?
And BTW what is wrong with being a civil servant?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:52 pm

I was merely pointing out that the Customs officers have no more responsibility for Border Control than the people who make the coffee in Costa - so why give them a hard time? Do you never watch Border Control on the telly?
And BTW what is wrong with being a civil servant?
Mike, I don't believe I gave Border Control "a hard time".
My original comment was about BC being short staffed whilst others are standing around in largish numbers doing nothing.
They all work for US and we should expect proper services fully staffed to meet and greet scheduled flights.
If they can't cope now how can they be expected to cope with the expected surge for the Olympics - or is it going to be the usual British Fudge - get in a queue and we will get to you eventually.
It would be nice if those who come for the big even came back for further holidays and improved the tourism figures each year - but not if it is a fiasco.

Costa work on a "mean and lean" basis, always too few staff, to give you the feeling you have queued for something really worthwhile - which it isnt.

Television progs abt BC - once you have seen a couple they become like Eastenders, the same story lines just different faces.

as my passport used to say Civil Servant nothing wrong with them/it - just that my part of it was also "lean and mean" with emphasis on the last word, we had management who couldnt get promoted without having done the job themselves and led from the front.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Domino;10034583]Mike (SNIPS) mean" with emphasis on the last word, we had management who couldnt get promoted without having done the job themselves and led from the front.[/QUOTE]

Now that's a phrase people should become better acquainted with in 2012.
Old May 5th 2012, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Originally Posted by billgates
I'm a regular traveller back and forth and have the choice of ryanair, monarch and easyjet.
I too have been left in a queue standing in a cold stairwell for upwards of half an hour, a number of times now. But only when I've flown with ryanair.

It's not just about the hand luggage size. Yes, it is annoying when people try and sneak a bigger bag through, but for gods sake, does it really matter if your bag is 11kilos instead of 10? Are you really going to pay the extra hold-luggage charge just for an extra kilo?

No, it's the whole ryanair attitude that stinks. They are run by a man who has nothing but contempt for his own passengers, but if people still want to fly with them then let them. They are sometimes cheaper, maybe a couple of pounds, but unless there is a significant saving then I for one, will never fly with them again.

I wouldn't wish bankruptcy on ryanair, they have some good people working for them, but I would love to see MO brought down to earth and acknowledge the people that pay for his lifestyle.
-----

"Spare a thought for Michael O'Leary, Chief Executive of 'Ryanair'.

Arriving in an hotel in Dublin, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of
draught Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be one Euro
please, Mr. O'Leary."

Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over
his money.

"Well, we try to stay ahead of the competition", said the
barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday evening
from 6 until 8. We have the cheapest beer in Ireland"

"That is remarkable value" Michael comments

"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours.
That will be 3 euro please."

O'Leary scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat.
"Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra 2 euro. -
You could have pre-booked the seat, and it would have only cost you a Euro."

"I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this
frame please"
Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he
can't squeeze in
he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".

"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra
surcharge of 4.00 euro
for your seat sir"

O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your
laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked
either, that will be another 3 euro."

O'Leary was so annoyed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on
the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the
manager".

"Ah, I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will
be 2 euro please." O'Leary's face was red with rage.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr. O'Leary,"

"I've had enough, What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink
and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!"

"Here is his E mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him
between 9 and 9.10
every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free,
until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only 10
cent per second"

"I will never use this bar again"

"OK sir, but remember, we are the only hotel in Ireland selling pints
for one Euro".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.