Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ryanair - Good News ?

Ryanair - Good News ?

Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:17 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ryanair - Good News ?

Hi, I have just transited Stansted airport to find that when I actually wanted to speak to someone on their information desk out at the Ryanair private terminal that it has been closed "for refurbishment".

I was able to speak to a couple of Ryanair staff and they have told me the Information Desk has been closed due to the exceedingly high level of complaints generated by an agressive and abusive team of staff who shouted and intimidated customers over infractions of the one case weighing 10kg of a certain size.
Having seen it a few months ago I can say it was very bad for any company fighting a customer relations war. (Bad publicity isnt always good publicity). Although I feel sure the people concerned were also operating under instructions from senior management.

Now the "infractions" are dealt with by staff at the gates prior to boarding and they would appear to have had some customer service training.

So although most people understand the rules, even if they do try to break them, at least they are not going to be treated like prisoners of war on the way to the gas chamber.
Perhaps Good News ??
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:25 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryanair - Good News ?

I hope you are right. Call me a cynic, but a leopard cannot change it's spots. I would suggest O'Leary knows little about PR and cares even less. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1263948.html
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I hope you are right. Call me a cynic, but a leopard cannot change it's spots. I would suggest O'Leary knows little about PR and cares even less. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1263948.html
Wot he said.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Just so glad I have the choice not to fly ryanair.
Unfortunately many people don't have that choice as they've pushed out any competition.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 7:29 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Just so glad I have the choice not to fly ryanair.
Unfortunately many people don't have that choice as they've pushed out any competition.
and then as with Granada, demand higher and higher subsidies from the local region, pulling out when they don't get their way.

Although IMHO Granada did shoot itself in the foot just a little, complaining that their airport was used by too many people who didnt visit the city, stay overnight, use the facilities. Now they are saying the same about coach and tour operators who bus in everyday, visit the Alhambra and Cathedral in the morning and off to Cordoba or Seville for the afternoon.

The only reason I use Ryanair is they have the most convenient flight times to allow me to get to/from airport
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

I fly in and out of Alicante airport and have always used easyjet... I know they have just recently added new charges, oh and they've stopped doing my fave egg baguette, I did ask if it was to do with the battery chickens being stopped but she looked very blank so I didn't persue.. I did end up paying over a fiver for a scabby cheese sandwich.. never again, I'll pack my own next time. anyway, because of all the negative comments on here about Ryanair I just wouldn't use them. The customer service on easyjet is great and the cabin crew are really helpful and best of all really cheerful..
Old Apr 27th 2012, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Customer service depends on who you get at the gate and on the plane. It has nothing to do with which airline you fly.

Ryanair is the largest airline in Europe. That is not because people have no choice (on most routes).

I have met perfectly abusive staff on BA, for example, but not on any of the budget airlines.

Part of the problem with the budget boys is their hand luggage restrictions. Based on my observations most people either do not read the small print OR deliberately try to smuggle on out-size luggage. You just imagine standing at a gate all day long with people who have not read the small print or who hold up the whole queue by ramming their bloated bloody bags into the sizing basket. I too would lose my rag.

I fly Ryanair, Monarch and BMIbaby (sadly not long for this world now BA have taken over BMI) birmingham to malaga. The timings mean I use Ryanair going out and Monarch/BMIbaby flying back. Never had a problem with any of them. BECAUSE I READ THE SMALL PRINT.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Customer service depends on who you get at the gate and on the plane. It has nothing to do with which airline you fly.
The service, the performance of the staff has everything to do with the airline, or it certainly should do. Is the airline not responsible for it's staff? The performance of the staff, good or bad, is ultimately the responsibility of the airline employing them.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy

Ryanair is the largest airline in Europe. That is not because people have no choice (on most routes).

I have met perfectly abusive staff on BA, for example, but not on any of the budget airlines.

Part of the problem with the budget boys is their hand luggage restrictions. Based on my observations most people either do not read the small print OR deliberately try to smuggle on out-size luggage. You just imagine standing at a gate all day long with people who have not read the small print or who hold up the whole queue by ramming their bloated bloody bags into the sizing basket. I too would lose my rag.

I fly Ryanair, Monarch and BMIbaby (sadly not long for this world now BA have taken over BMI) birmingham to malaga. The timings mean I use Ryanair going out and Monarch/BMIbaby flying back. Never had a problem with any of them. BECAUSE I READ THE SMALL PRINT.
I too read the small print and get annoyed at others with oversize baggage. However, when I do travel Ryanair I never feel like a valued customer or passenger but rather a commodity which has to be moved about with as little cost or inconvenience to the staff. I remember on more than one occasion standing freezing on the concrete apron outside the departure lounge for over half-an-hour in snow and ice just so that Ryanair could load the aircraft more quickly.
Although to be fair I have received exemplary service by one or two flight attendants this is by no means the rule. I use Ryanair as an airline of last resort despite the cost.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a regular traveller back and forth and have the choice of ryanair, monarch and easyjet.
I too have been left in a queue standing in a cold stairwell for upwards of half an hour, a number of times now. But only when I've flown with ryanair.

It's not just about the hand luggage size. Yes, it is annoying when people try and sneak a bigger bag through, but for gods sake, does it really matter if your bag is 11kilos instead of 10? Are you really going to pay the extra hold-luggage charge just for an extra kilo?

No, it's the whole ryanair attitude that stinks. They are run by a man who has nothing but contempt for his own passengers, but if people still want to fly with them then let them. They are sometimes cheaper, maybe a couple of pounds, but unless there is a significant saving then I for one, will never fly with them again.

I wouldn't wish bankruptcy on ryanair, they have some good people working for them, but I would love to see MO brought down to earth and acknowledge the people that pay for his lifestyle.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

No, it's the whole ryanair attitude that stinks. They are run by a man who has nothing but contempt for his own passengers, but if people still want to fly with them then let them.
People vote with their wallets.

Ryanair fly more people than any other airline in europe. It by definition caters to the popular taste. That may well not be your taste.

It has the best reputation for punctuality in europe. That may well not be your taste.

It has the best record for not losing luggage. That may well not be your taste.

It is consistently lowest in price (not always especially if you're a precious little darling who carries 2 bags and needs 30Kilos of knickers for a 2 week holiday). That may well not be your taste.

It receives 0.77 complaints per 1000 passengers. That may well not be your taste.

I well remember the misguided days when i used to fly BA every week. Boarding was a nightmare as the gold card members boarded the first 5 rows first taking their time to load their two bags, blog the aisles and ease their over stuffed stomachs into their seats. result? Consistently late take-offs.

It's a 2.5 hour flight. Would I rather have a crap sarnie and G&T or an on time, probably cheaper flight.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 2:37 pm

I checked in my additional (to cabin) case at checkin and said I wanted to take a further case. I was told this would be an extra £105 and directed to another checkin area to pay. There after brief discussion it was agreed that if I went airside I would be able to get this cheaper. So I went back with my one additional case to be told it was 1kg overweight and would cost an extra £20 and had to go back to the other checkin to pay.
I still cannot see why when weighing a case they can tell you of the whole situation and take any additional charges at the time instead of sending you off to another queue.

On getting airside I presented my extra case at the departure gate and was charged £50.

Essentially - in this particular instance - I have no complaint about being charged extra (and I was prepared for it).
However, the whole process was made unacceptable by dividing responsibilities, sending passengers backwards and forwards to different desks, along with different prices dependent on where you go in the same airport.

It does make me wonder how Ryanair treat their suppliers.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I have just flown Flybe and it was wonderful. Well perhaps not wonderful but so much less stressful. No need to check in online and print your boarding card they do it for you and now they do not charge for using a debit card. I also asked when checking in, when I was asked if I wanted a window or aisle seat, if at all possible I could be in a seat on my own as I had a terrible cold and cough and it would be so horrendous for anyone sat next to me. Never thinking this would happen but it did.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I use Flybe every year when i go Birmingham glasgow. Sadly on the route it's a little propeller plane. Quite cosy. But nice.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought for happy second that the 'good news' was that they had shut down. Sadly not. How people can allow themselves to be humiliated and abused just to save a few pounds is beyond me. Yes, I know saving money is important, but not to the extent of being treated like cattle whilst at the same time lining the pockets of O'Leary.
There really is no limit to the extent to which some individuals will allow themselves to be mistreated and exploited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.