Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ryanair Cutting Flights to Spain

Ryanair Cutting Flights to Spain

Old Jul 20th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ryanair Cutting Flights to Spain

O´Leary sites the new airport charges as the reason and that people want to go to Poland, Morocco and Scandinavia.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 10:50 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryanair Cutting Flights to Spain

It's being portrayed here as a win for the Iberia low cost operator Iberia Express, after just 4 months..
Considering all the subsidies that Ryanair try to extract from local authorities, I won't shed too many tears for them - no doubt they'll rinse and repeat in various countries. Take advantage of their low fares when you can, but never assume they'll be around for long.

http://www.eleconomista.es/empresas-...de-Madrid.html
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Chopping quite a lot of routes it seems, 36, and cutting number of flights on 78 more. That's a lot! I guess it's to be expected, lots of countries within the EU suffering at the moment. I used to fly BMIbaby from Cardiff, they've gone, and going from B'ham in September
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/1544.../rutas-espana/
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:27 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It's being portrayed here as a win for the Iberia low cost operator Iberia Express, after just 4 months..
Considering all the subsidies that Ryanair try to extract from local authorities, I won't shed too many tears for them - no doubt they'll rinse and repeat in various countries. Take advantage of their low fares when you can, but never assume they'll be around for long.

http://www.eleconomista.es/empresas-...de-Madrid.html
Ryanair did exactly the same thing in France, started dropping into small local airports, got plenty of subsidies from the local councils - until the EU told them to stop as it was unfair practice. So no subsidies, no Ryanair, plenty of people who were commuting daily to London from the Dordogne et al left with no way of getting to work.

People want permanancy, regularity, and most importantly confidence that their service provider will be there for them
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:35 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Ryanair boss Michael O’Leary said:

Ryanair objects to the Spanish government’s decision to double airport taxes at both Madrid and Barcelona airports. Sadly, this will lead to severe traffic, tourism and job cuts at both airports this winter. Ryanair’s cuts alone will cause a combined loss of 2.3m passengers and over 2,000 jobs at Madrid and Barcelona El Prat airports to other lower cost airports elsewhere in Europe, where Ryanair continues to grow.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Ryanair boss Michael O’Leary said:

Ryanair objects to the Spanish government’s decision to double airport taxes at both Madrid and Barcelona airports. Sadly, this will lead to severe traffic, tourism and job cuts at both airports this winter. Ryanair’s cuts alone will cause a combined loss of 2.3m passengers and over 2,000 jobs at Madrid and Barcelona El Prat airports to other lower cost airports elsewhere in Europe, where Ryanair continues to grow.
But people still want to go to these places and as he passes on the extra charges anyway what difference does it make?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:17 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Must be some sort of joke,Steve.
The first thing Iberia did was go on strike.

""Following the launch of Iberia Express on March 25, the tables begin to change. Iberia has been able to bring to market a model with prices as competitive as Ryanair and easyJet, while maintaining the quality and brand image.""

....and that is even more hilarious,.."maintaining quality and brand image".

If they succeed in maintaining previous quality and brand image, God help them and all who fly with them.

On an even playing field theyd never compete with O'Leary in a million years.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:21 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Must be some sort of joke,Steve.
The first thing Iberia did was go on strike.

""Following the launch of Iberia Express on March 25, the tables begin to change. Iberia has been able to bring to market a model with prices as competitive as Ryanair and easyJet, while maintaining the quality and brand image.""

....and that is even more hilarious,.."maintaining quality and brand image".

If they succeed in maintaining previous quality and brand image, God help them and all who fly with them.

On an even playing field theyd never compete with O'Leary in a million years.
they can't compete with Ryanair they only have 5 destinations outside Spain

http://airlineroute.net/2012/03/23/i2ib-s12/
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:24 pm

although a couple of months old, this is from an industry report

http://www.anna.aero/2012/04/18/ryan...s-this-summer/

flights to Spain, their biggest market are UP,
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Don't they just do this every winter?
Ryanair always seem to be chopping and changes routes and flights usually using airport charges as the reason/excuse. Other airlines do it as well but without such a song and dance. You can't rely on a consistent service by any airline from or to anywhere these days.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:52 pm

It was a new idea by Ryanir but seems to have some merit

http://www.anna.aero/2012/07/04/grou...opes-airlines/

whilst expanding in Spain (or is that just trying to fill a vaccuum)
http://www.anna.aero/2012/06/27/ryan...utes-in-spain/
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Ryanair did exactly the same thing in France, started dropping into small local airports, got plenty of subsidies from the local councils - until the EU told them to stop as it was unfair practice. So no subsidies, no Ryanair, plenty of people who were commuting daily to London from the Dordogne et al left with no way of getting to work.

People want permanancy, regularity, and most importantly confidence that their service provider will be there for them
Does this just not show how inept the EU Government is i.e. unable to do joined up thinking, which then has an adverse affect on EU Citizens. It is like half the barmy rules they have come out with over the years. Everyone suffers lose jobs etc because of their silly petty over ruling. Of course they continue to earn at low EU tax rates fantastic salaries. If one thing needs sorting out to get Europe moving it is the EU Parliament in my view.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22
Does this just not show how inept the EU Government is i.e. unable to do joined up thinking, which then has an adverse affect on EU Citizens. It is like half the barmy rules they have come out with over the years. Everyone suffers lose jobs etc because of their silly petty over ruling. Of course they continue to earn at low EU tax rates fantastic salaries. If one thing needs sorting out to get Europe moving it is the EU Parliament in my view.
I can think of a couple of exservicemen who could make a decent effort of making things run a little better - but then we would become swamped in benefits, wages, expenses etc and end up being like the rest of the parasites. So please give me a chance !!

Like it or not Ryanair does appear to have pushed the boundaries the most for the EU citizen by providing a service the people need. I bet old Freddie Laker is turning over in his grave at the money opportunities he is missing out on.

The EU should be endeavouring to ensure long term sustainability. Something they are not very good at, the same as joined up writing.
Who was the numpty that came up with the money for airports in the middle of nowhere, no infrastructure, no passengers, no flights - but hey ho here's a couple of €billion, enjoy!
In 2512 Tony Robinson will be rubbing his hands in glee at crawling all over the remains of such relics.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I can think of a couple of exservicemen who could make a decent effort of making things run a little better - but then we would become swamped in benefits, wages, expenses etc and end up being like the rest of the parasites. So please give me a chance !!

Like it or not Ryanair does appear to have pushed the boundaries the most for the EU citizen by providing a service the people need. I bet old Freddie Laker is turning over in his grave at the money opportunities he is missing out on.

The EU should be endeavouring to ensure long term sustainability. Something they are not very good at, the same as joined up writing.
Who was the numpty that came up with the money for airports in the middle of nowhere, no infrastructure, no passengers, no flights - but hey ho here's a couple of €billion, enjoy!
In 2512 Tony Robinson will be rubbing his hands in glee at crawling all over the remains of such relics.
Luckily Ryanair don't fly from Newcastle to Malaga I use Easyjet prices have gone up but they have always been ok for us. I have only ever used ryanair once in my life that was Prestwick to weeze an old camp I was posted to, not a great experience but got us there ok. Whenever I think of the EU Ministers milking the system that smiling Goon Kinnock and his wife spring to mind, say no more another failed politician made a fortune.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22
Luckily Ryanair don't fly from Newcastle to Malaga I use Easyjet prices have gone up but they have always been ok for us. I have only ever used ryanair once in my life that was Prestwick to weeze an old camp I was posted to, not a great experience but got us there ok. Whenever I think of the EU Ministers milking the system that smiling Goon Kinnock and his wife spring to mind, say no more another failed politician made a fortune.
ISTR Kinnock's son also held a very very well paid job in Brussels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.