Residency

Old May 22nd 2010, 10:33 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency

Best not to burn your bridges if it can be avoided.
I've spent many years in Spain incl two full 5 year spells with the old Residencia cards.
I've used it to advantage on numerous occasions for numerous reasons.
However I've never withdrawn from the UK system at any time and had all my normal facilities readily available whenever I've been back.
Never had any questions asked of me, at either end, and never ever worried about it.
Basically I've been Res when the occasion suited me and not when it didn't.
I reckon you guys spend far too much time worrying about dotting the i's and crossing the t's,...not good for the old ticker you know.
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:07 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Best not to burn your bridges if it can be avoided.
I've spent many years in Spain incl two full 5 year spells with the old Residencia cards.
I've used it to advantage on numerous occasions for numerous reasons.
However I've never withdrawn from the UK system at any time and had all my normal facilities readily available whenever I've been back.
Never had any questions asked of me, at either end, and never ever worried about it.
Basically I've been Res when the occasion suited me and not when it didn't.
I reckon you guys spend far too much time worrying about dotting the i's and crossing the t's,...not good for the old ticker you know.

That’s pretty sensible if you’re not working or running a business in Spain, but it will cost you around 250 Euros every three months for private medical insurance and perhaps a flutter of indecision when the tax man sends his forms.

I suspect many expats are doing exactly that, but I hesitate putting my hand up on an internet forum.
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's very simple really. The law says that you have to register on the foreigners list if you are in Spain for more than three months consecutively.
Hi Fred,

What is this list? Do we have to register even when we want to live in Spain permenantly? Is this the residencia we are talking about?
Thanks.
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:11 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Hi Fred,

What is this list? Do we have to register even when we want to live in Spain permenantly? Is this the residencia we are talking about?
Thanks.
it's the 'resident's list' & replaced the 'residencia card'
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnxa
it's the 'resident's list' & replaced the 'residencia card'
Again I'm confused. When people talk about applying for residencia, is this the one? Is residencia different from getting on to the pardon? Thanks.
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:34 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
That’s pretty sensible if you’re not working or running a business in Spain, but it will cost you around 250 Euros every three months for private medical insurance and perhaps a flutter of indecision when the tax man sends his forms.

I suspect many expats are doing exactly that, but I hesitate putting my hand up on an internet forum.
Well only once ever received a tax form a long time ago, which went straight in the Basura and I heard no more
Never bought private medical insurance after studying the small print.
Don't think any of them are fully comp or have all the available facilities as the State,.so always managed to get by with the old E111 and EU Health cert.
Doesn't really matter much now anyway, as I rarely ever stop over more than the regulation 3 months.
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Again I'm confused. When people talk about applying for residencia, is this the one? Is residencia different from getting on to the pardon? Thanks.
yes, it is usually what people mean nowadays - the old 'residencia card' was scrapped a few years ago & replaced by the foreigners list which all foreigners living here more than 3 months is supposed to sign

they give you a certificate to show that you've signed - you go to a National Police station to do this - it's for all foreigners

the padron is a register of all residents - spanish or foreign

you go to the Ayuntamiento to do this & the local council gets money from government for each person living there
Old May 23rd 2010, 8:45 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Since there is still some confusion about the new "residencia" I have attached a picture of the new A4 certificate which replaces the old card.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...1&d=1274604184
Attached Thumbnails Residency-sample-residency-certificate.jpg  
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Getting residencia was easy.

Getting onto the padron in Córdoba was easy. Getting onto the padron here in Málaga is a different matter altogether. I think Kafka once lived here.