Residency

Old May 19th 2010, 10:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Residency

Just to confirm, can someone point me to written official notes on how long you can be in Spain before you have to apply for residency. My solicitor has always told me 30 days, but someone else is telling me they think 90 days
Old May 20th 2010, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of
Default Re: Residency

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Just to confirm, can someone point me to written official notes on how long you can be in Spain before you have to apply for residency. My solicitor has always told me 30 days, but someone else is telling me they think 90 days
Hi Mitzy; try http://costablanca.angloinfo.com/cou.../residency.asp
Old May 20th 2010, 6:22 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's definitely 90 days.

From the Embassy website at http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-.../residence-req

Residence requirements

From 28 March 2007, Royal Decree 240/07 requires that all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. However, you will no longer be issued with a residence card. Instead you will be issued a Residence Certificate stating your name, address, nationality, NIE number (Número de Identificación Extranjeros) and date of registration.

There is also a leaflet in English which explains the new registration process in detail on the Ministry of Work and Immigration site:-

http://extranjeros.mtas.es/es/Inform...ION_INGLES.pdf

Last edited by Fred James; May 20th 2010 at 7:12 am. Reason: Added another link
Old May 20th 2010, 7:33 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm OK, I know a lot of advice given on forums has pointed to 30 days

Reggie, thanks, but I wanted official documentation not forums, just for clarification
Old May 20th 2010, 2:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Hmm OK, I know a lot of advice given on forums has pointed to 30 days

Reggie, thanks, but I wanted official documentation not forums, just for clarification
It`s in the free beer thread.
Attached Thumbnails Residency-residencia-3.jpg  
Old May 20th 2010, 3:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's the same link I posted.

I think I may have found a reason for the confusion over 30/90 days.

If I stretch my (ageing) memory back to the early days of the residencia card, the rules then were that you had to apply within 90 consecutive days in Spain or apply for a "permanencia" which extended it by another 90 days - you got the same effect by leaving Spain and coming back again, so at that time 6 months was often quoted as the period after which you had to apply.

However the rules also said that if you came to Spain with the intention of staying permanently, then you had to apply within 30 days.

I am not sure if legally you could ever be proved to have such an intention but that certainly was the advice given at that time - we are talking well over 5 years ago.

Mitzy, maybe it was at that time that you had that (at that time, correct) advice from your solicitor.

It seems pretty clear under the current rules that the "intention to stay permanently" rule no longer applies.
Old May 20th 2010, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

are residencia cards being renewed? mine has just run out & am not sure whether I need to renew it.

Thanks in advance
Old May 20th 2010, 4:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
are residencia cards being renewed? mine has just run out & am not sure whether I need to renew it.

Thanks in advance
You need to apply for a green A4 sheet, which is the new Residencia certificate, you only get a card if you are non EU.
Old May 20th 2010, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

What is the relevance of a residency certificate.

We have our padron,NIE,OH has social security number.

What are the benefits of it.

I remember the residencia and permanencia from my first time in Spain but that was before Spain joined the EU.

Confused???
Old May 20th 2010, 4:35 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer

I remember the residencia and permanencia from my first time in Spain but that was before Spain joined the EU.

Confused???
no benefits at all to us - as far as I can see

you just have to do it

I think you now have to show it to get a SIP card, sign on the padron, get kids into school etc

probably not everywhere yet - but it will come.....................
Old May 20th 2010, 4:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by paintermujer

Confused???
It is a requirement of living in Spain, read the attachment.
Old May 20th 2010, 4:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by lynnxa
no benefits at all to us - as far as I can see

you just have to do it

I think you now have to show it to get a SIP card, sign on the padron, get kids into school etc

probably not everywhere yet - but it will come.....................
The SS office won`t talk to you without it here.
Old May 20th 2010, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

Will sort that out.
Old May 20th 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bakeja is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had to produce my residency certificate a couple of times: to change my driving licence and to join a health club for some reason.

Does the 30/90 day thing really matter given that so many people seem to ignore the foreigner's registration and don't seem to suffer any adverse consequences. Has anyone ever been in trouble for not having their residencia when they should have?
Old May 20th 2010, 5:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Bakeja
I have had to produce my residency certificate a couple of times: to change my driving licence and to join a health club for some reason.

Does the 30/90 day thing really matter given that so many people seem to ignore the foreigner's registration and don't seem to suffer any adverse consequences. Has anyone ever been in trouble for not having their residencia when they should have?
You could have trouble by having to pay an on the spot traffic fine with no discount, with residencia you get time to pay and a big discount.

And with the councils looking for money I am sure they could soon think of some fine for you for not having one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.