puerto banus

Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: puerto banus

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
You could always cut and paste the attached and keep them in your wallet and your status in the Brit karaoke bar will be restored.I scanned the odd note from my wallet
There is a holy man that hands out fake notes at the rastro, telling everyone it is the evil stuff.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Benan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gazzajlill
hi there just a quick question on how realistic or easy would it be to find bar work in puerto banus really fancy moving out there, have never been before but really like the sound of the area??
hi there,

regardless of negative comments that people have posted, now is as good a time as you will get to move there. although, yes spain is in a crap way at the moment, if you are looking for bar work especially in pb, now is the right time. for anyone saying that there are no jobs, they cannot be looking in the right places, there are always jobs, especially in pb as the summer is coming and it doesnt matter what situation people will find themselves in, the place will fill up in the summer. from then on, if you prove yourself and make some contacts chances are you may be able to find work to tide you over for the winter aswell. you may even get in with a group of people that literally work summers in places like spain and then winters in ski resorts, and before anyone says different, i have done it in the past, my kid brother is still doing it and some friends of mine still live that surfer/skier lifestyle to this day.

questions for you, how old are you? have you got experience in bars? how much? what do you expect to earn? what do you expect to pay in rent?

these will be the important things to consider.

best of luck
Old May 1st 2009, 3:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benan
hi there,

regardless of negative comments that people have posted, now is as good a time as you will get to move there. although, yes spain is in a crap way at the moment, if you are looking for bar work especially in pb, now is the right time. for anyone saying that there are no jobs, they cannot be looking in the right places, there are always jobs, especially in pb as the summer is coming and it doesnt matter what situation people will find themselves in, the place will fill up in the summer. from then on, if you prove yourself and make some contacts chances are you may be able to find work to tide you over for the winter aswell. you may even get in with a group of people that literally work summers in places like spain and then winters in ski resorts, and before anyone says different, i have done it in the past, my kid brother is still doing it and some friends of mine still live that surfer/skier lifestyle to this day.

questions for you, how old are you? have you got experience in bars? how much? what do you expect to earn? what do you expect to pay in rent?

these will be the important things to consider.

best of luck
Haven`t you forgot about health cover in your list, and telling the amount of people chasing each 5€ an hour job ?
Old May 1st 2009, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Haven`t you forgot about health cover in your list, and telling the amount of people chasing each 5€ an hour job ?
health cover in what respect? if you mean the spanish social...if you go to the right place for work then that is covered...if you want cash in hand then you take the risk... 5 euro/hr jobs...sorry, but as i said i still know people there and they manage to clear alot more than that...! perhaps you forget tips, private tips etc...
i will never understand that why on this website everyone seems to be so in love with spain and then reccommend to others not to come as everything is so tight...for all those in spain fulltime, england isnt the greener pasture on the other side of the fence. i love the place but still think that if someone wants to give it a go in spain or anywhere for that matter, especially if young, then all should offer insightful advice and not put a gloomy perspective on everything...if spain is good enough for you lot, its good enough for him???!!!!???
ps, not arguing, just ranting, got that friday feeling!!!
Old May 1st 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

health cover in what respect? if you mean the spanish social...if you go to the right place for work then that is covered...if you want cash in hand then you take the risk... 5 euro/hr jobs...sorry, but as i said i still know people there and they manage to clear alot more than that...! perhaps you forget tips, private tips etc...
i will never understand that why on this website everyone seems to be so in love with spain and then reccommend to others not to come as everything is so tight...for all those in spain fulltime, england isnt the greener pasture on the other side of the fence. i love the place but still think that if someone wants to give it a go in spain or anywhere for that matter, especially if young, then all should offer insightful advice and not put a gloomy perspective on everything...if spain is good enough for you lot, its good enough for him???!!!!???
ps, not arguing, just ranting, got that friday feeling!!!
To be honest I think it is wise to warn others of what the situation is like or can be like here and not keep telling everyone the garden is full of roses 'at least not at the moment'... then when they get here and find in most cases it is not they will not get a shock. You might be one of the lucky ones, but you would be one of the few in comparison to the ones who have got and are getting burn and I can tell you there are many more who have got burnt that have not.

Many who do work for bars are earning less than 5€ per hour and are not covered by social, I see them in very close to desperate states at times 'if not desperate states' and they all came thinking that it was easy here too, I wonder did they come because they listened to people telling them they shouldn't worry about what they are told, just come over!

... anyway, no one is telling people not to come over, they are advising them not to come over, hopefully they will read what the people living here are saying and then think seriously about what they are doing rather than just jump on a plane and come over, telling people to... is at least reckless, if the economy was better then it may be a different story.

health cover in what respect? if you mean the spanish social...if you go to the right place for work then that is covered...
As people have said there is not much 'if any' work where this will be the case, in general the locals 'Spanish and all other' are having problems so why would it be any easier for someone who has just come over from another country to get work with SS?

i will never understand that why on this website everyone seems to be so in love with spain and then reccommend to others not to come as everything is so tight...
It's called common sense.

Last edited by Econ; May 1st 2009 at 3:57 pm.
Old May 1st 2009, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Econ
To be honest I think it is wise to warn others of what the situation is like or can be like here and not keep telling everyone the garden is full of roses 'at least not at the moment'... then when they get here and find in most cases it is not they will not get a shock. You might be one of the lucky ones, but you would be one of the few in comparison to the ones who have got and are getting burn and I can tell you there are many more who have got burnt that have not.

Many who do work for bars are earning less than 5€ per hour and are not covered by social, I see them in very close to desperate states at times 'if not desperate states' and they all came thinking that it was easy here too, I wonder did they come because they listened to people telling them they shouldn't worry about what they are told, just come over!

... anyway, no one is telling people not to come over, they are advising them not to come over, hopefully they will read what the people living here are saying and then think seriously about what they are doing rather than just jump on a plane and come over, telling people to... is at least reckless, if the economy was better then it may be a different story.

As people have said there is not much 'if any' work where this will be the case, in general the locals 'Spanish and all other' are having problems so why would it be any easier for someone who has just come over from another country to get work with SS?

It's called common sense.

the key thing that i think everyone that thinks i am being reckless is missing is this....i hadnt quite finished my original post, i do believe that i ended with questions to the op...had he answered i may have used my ltd knowledge that every1 thinks i must have, and either told him he is wasting his time or fair enough try such and such a place.... although i know that discussion forums are just that, discussions, i think it a tad unfair how some of the "older"(possibly) generation bite on the smallest of things....then again the youth of today are the destroyers of the legacy that has been left to us...hang about, werent we brought up by elder generations....
anyway, enough digressing, that shouldve given alot of you something to bite on....
happy may day in spain, happy bank holiday monday uk, wish we were having a four day weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 1st 2009, 4:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

the key thing that i think everyone that thinks i am being reckless is missing is this....i hadnt quite finished my original post, i do believe that i ended with questions to the op...had he answered i may have used my ltd knowledge that every1 thinks i must have, and either told him he is wasting his time or fair enough try such and such a place.... although i know that discussion forums are just that, discussions, i think it a tad unfair how some of the "older"(possibly) generation bite on the smallest of things....then again the youth of today are the destroyers of the legacy that has been left to us...hang about, werent we brought up by elder generations....
anyway, enough digressing, that shouldve given alot of you something to bite on....
happy may day in spain, happy bank holiday monday uk, wish we were having a four day weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There was a thread on here about a couple that wanted to buy a bar in Fuengirola. Everyone tried to put them off, but they didn`t listen, 60,000 €`s or so down the pan then they went back to the UK after a couple of months.
If you have lived here a few years you would understand how much it has changed in the work options.
I know loads of people that have previously done well, but the last couple of years have given up and gone back to the UK.
Barwork, you may be lucky and fall into a job that someone has just quit cos they can`t survive on the wages, then a couple of weeks later you will realize why they left.
As Econ says what is the use of lifting their hopes when realisticly there is not a lot of chance of earning enough to survive legally.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
There was a thread on here about a couple that wanted to buy a bar in Fuengirola. Everyone tried to put them off, but they didn`t listen, 60,000 €`s or so down the pan then they went back to the UK after a couple of months.
If you have lived here a few years you would understand how much it has changed in the work options.
I know loads of people that have previously done well, but the last couple of years have given up and gone back to the UK.
Barwork, you may be lucky and fall into a job that someone has just quit cos they can`t survive on the wages, then a couple of weeks later you will realize why they left.
As Econ says what is the use of lifting their hopes when realisticly there is not a lot of chance of earning enough to survive legally.
i get that completely, did you not read the part about asking him/her questions, depending on the answers i would have given my humble if not worth anything opinion...saying about people that have lived there for a few years....i know people that have lived there most of their lives and are still doing well, nothing to do with being lucky, if you ask me, man is the architect of his own fate...someone will probably come back and say that they have been there before all this financial crap started, but it is everywhere so whether or not they can find something here or there or anywhere i would just reccommend them to try hard, shoot for the stars and enjoy the ride, if it goes wrong, at least they can still come home....
Old May 1st 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

i get that completely, did you not read the part about asking him/her questions, depending on the answers i would have given my humble if not worth anything opinion...saying about people that have lived there for a few years....i know people that have lived there most of their lives and are still doing well, nothing to do with being lucky, if you ask me, man is the architect of his own fate...someone will probably come back and say that they have been there before all this financial crap started, but it is everywhere so whether or not they can find something here or there or anywhere i would just reccommend them to try hard, shoot for the stars and enjoy the ride, if it goes wrong, at least they can still come home....
Sorry Benan, I really don't want to go on with this... but you keep saying you where asking more question so you could reply... but you already told them this was the time to do it before asking the questions ... do you work as a politician by any chance?

i think it a tad unfair how some of the "older"(possibly) generation bite on the smallest of things....then again the youth of today are the destroyers of the legacy that has been left to us...hang about, werent we brought up by elder generations....
Hang on, I had nothing to do with your upbringing, if you think you are destroying your legacy or have a problem with your upbringing then talk to whoever brought you up and your teachers, don't have a go at me.

Look, no one is picking on you or 'the smallest of things' as you refer to it, without sounding too dramatic here... a persons life is no small thing, nor is the advice that has a high change that it might take them to something that makes a big black mark in it either. I have seen some things in this country that have made me feel really sad, I cannot express in words what it can be like to watch someone who was very happy and having fun go to having nothing, not knowing where they are going to sleep, not knowing how to get out of the mess they are in. I as many others have seen this far too may times here and the less I see of it the better for me and for others including those who might be one of the victims. If you have your parents roof over your head here then you have somewhere to go back to at night, those who come from outside the country are not that lucky.

Things are not good here for work at the moment * full stop *. Some people have great jobs, some have good jobs, some have a job, some have terrible jobs and many, many others have no job at all here... but many would really like to have one... advising someone that they should have no problem finding work and jump on the next plane is not the right thing to do at the moment... no matter what someone who lives outside of Spain thinks!

12 to 18 months ago I myself would have offered totally different advice to the OP, but this is not a year ago, it is now.

Happy holidays

Last edited by Econ; May 1st 2009 at 6:38 pm.
Old May 2nd 2009, 12:11 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

.....but it is everywhere so whether or not they can find something here or there or anywhere i would just reccommend them to try hard, shoot for the stars and enjoy the ride, if it goes wrong, at least they can still come home....

I agree with this, BUT, it is only sensible for a single person without dependants and for someone who is confident, self assured and has a good financial cushion should things not work out! So therefore its really quite irresponsible to advise people to "simply go for it" on an open forum. There is not an infinate ammount of jobs here, there maybe a few bar jobs that are being chased by several hundred people who are already here and desperate and yes someone may be lucky enough to come straight off the plane and get one and be lucky enough to get one that is permenant with a fixed and decent wage, BUT, thats quite a few maybes, too many to suggest that getting a job here is easy so just do it!

Jo xx