Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

proud to be British?

proud to be British?

Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:51 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: proud to be British?

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
On the contrary, I think the Brits are very proud of their country. They might knock it, but woe betide anyone else who knocks it!

But just because you are born in a country doesn't mean you should be proud of it uncritically. That sort of nationalistic patriotism can lead to conflict and misunderstanding. Be proud of the good things, but acknowledge the bad things.
Another post I want to give karma too, but can't because the system is blocking me.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:53 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto (though I'm half Irish!) Your nationality isn't an achievement, it's pure coincidence, so what's to be proud of?

Being born into a particular family is also conincidence, so what you are saying is that you cannot be proud of your family....:
Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Thats not the point though is it.
You are born in a country .... everyone is. You grow up in that country and you become a part of the culture of that country and in many cases you are what you are and you have what you have because of that country.

I think its part of "the British Problem". People dont have pride in their country like other countries do. Brits love to knock their achievers, and indeed their country. The possibly just dont realise how good it is
I cannot say that I am proud to be British because I am not, but I am very proud and feel priveledged that I spent very happy years there.
And for posters that have no pride in coming from such a great place, only one thing to say really(blowing a raspberry)

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think most (reasonable) people in the world are proud of their country as in ie. a shared culture and have a love for it. Everywhere in the world I have been I have noticed it, even in some awful places.

Being proud of your country isn't just about winning at sport, doesn't matter very much at all to me, just the icing on the cake really.

Yes I am proud and thankful that I am English, in the same way a St.Lucian is proud that they are from that Island instead of eg. Dominica. Human nature (for normal people)
I think the "normal people" point is very valid

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I can admire and praise British comedy, the NHS, entertainers, sportspeople etc. with the best of them. But it doesn't make me funnier, better at medicine or sport by doing so, so I'm averse to saying "I'm proud to be British". Perhaps I could say "I'm proud of British achievements in x,y z"...?
Typical.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Being born into a particular family is also conincidence, so what you are saying is that you cannot be proud of your family....:
I love them and I'm proud of some of their achievements. But if my brother was a pimp or a drug dealer I wouldn't be proud of that. Like I said, be proud of the good bits!
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:02 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I love them and I'm proud of some of their achievements. But if my brother was a pimp or a drug dealer I wouldn't be proud of that. Like I said, be proud of the good bits!
Well exactly.
Interesting also that we're being given lectures on being proud of our country, by JLFS - someone I can't remember ever praising his own country on these boards. I can't even remember him praising any of their sporting achievements.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:04 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Proud to be British,..end of !

When in a hole Pocaloca........
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:04 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

So I take it that if you had new born baby, who has no other achievement but filling a nappy a few times a day, you would not feel any pride when looking at your little one..... serioulsy wierd you are.....not to mention shallow, as you will have to wait until he/she passes their A levels before you can be proud of him/her.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:06 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Oh god, its gonna begin again isn't it?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well exactly.
Interesting also that we're being given lectures on being proud of our country, by JLFS - someone I can't remember ever praising his own country on these boards. I can't even remember him praising any of their sporting achievements.
I know you are ashamed to be british, so much so that you have changed your name to Marcos when posting on other forum, so what nationality would you be pround to be then?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:12 am
Not Banned (yet)

I know you are ashamed to be british, so much so that you have changed your name to Marcos when posting on other forum, so what nationality would you be pround to be then?
Really - so you've missed my recent posts here praising the ceremony (much to others annoyance) and also Bradley Wiggins great performance in the cycling? (Edit of course I meant in the Tour de France)

Again - spare us the lectures - I can't remember you ever praising Spanish achievements here (and remember there have been a few sporting ones in the last few years). Are you really Spanish? You sound just like a character Aggie would dream up....

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Jul 29th 2012 at 10:20 am.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:12 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

On the contrary, I think the Brits are very proud of their country. They might knock it, but woe betide anyone else who knocks it!

But just because you are born in a country doesn't mean you should be proud of it uncritically. That sort of nationalistic patriotism can lead to conflict and misunderstanding. Be proud of the good things, but acknowledge the bad things.
Pride and criticism are slightly different dont you think? If, for instance, Hamilton makes a stupid move on the track its right to criticise him, but some people just criticise Hamilton for being Hamilton. Same with Murray. Was the same with Steve Davies. Good Brit sports starts can guarantee getting crap from their own countrymen / woman

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Oh god, its gonna begin again isn't it?
No .... it's not
Discuss intelligently people and without personals or accept the consequences
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:18 am
Not Banned (yet)

Pride and criticism are slightly different dont you think? If, for instance, Hamilton makes a stupid move on the track its right to criticise him, but some people just criticise Hamilton for being Hamilton. Same with Murray. Was the same with Steve Davies. Good Brit sports starts can guarantee getting crap from their own countrymen / woman
Not sure on this one. I used to dislike John McEnroe, not because he was American but because of his behaviour.
I find a lot of GP drivers difficult to like - Mansell, Hamilton, Alonso - purely because of their personalities (or lack of one) rather than any national preferences.
I can dislike the footballer Ballotelli, but warm to someone like Gazza even though he is definitely not a perfect human being.
I think it's a bit more nuanced than just nationalistic preferences or dislikes.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

So I take it that if you had new born baby, who has no other achievement but filling a nappy a few times a day, you would not feel any pride when looking at your little one..... serioulsy wierd you are.....not to mention shallow, as you will have to wait until he/she passes their A levels before you can be proud of him/her.
I would call that love, rather than pride. Perhaps we are just using different definitions.

I might be a bit weird but I'm not shallow.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:26 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

No .... it's not
Discuss intelligently people and without personals or accept the consequences
Right on the money Mitzy.

It's a fairly simple straight forward question, yes or no.
So I think the ones giving niggledy answers are somewhat pathetic being afraid to stand up and be counted.

I doubt there's a single person in any country who is entirely happy with everything, be it drug dealers,who are not unique to England, or anything else.
That is a separate issue altogether, and doesn't stop them being proud of their nationality.

So from now on I'll take those who avoid a simple direct answer as being a no.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

I agree but I think its more the British media which has a tendency to slag off anyone who becomes successful. All those people rooting for Murray at Wimbledon were genuinely proud that a Brit had got to the final, don't you think?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree but I think its more the British media which has a tendency to slag off anyone who becomes successful. All those people rooting for Murray at Wimbledon were genuinely proud that a Brit had got to the final, don't you think?
Yes, and I was frankly surprised, because thats not always the way.
And he had to cry at the end for people to realise that he's actually human

To the others ... they know who they are ... your personal battles have been removed above. I cant carry on asking, so please dont

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.