Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pregnant & Scared #^#*less of doctors

Pregnant & Scared #^#*less of doctors

Old Dec 11th 2008, 8:24 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant & Scared #^#*less of doctors

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
I agree with Fiona here, I think some people have been implying that we should just get on and accept it, and I sincerely doubt that most people do that with many aspects of living abroad. I bet DMU has his or her fair share of criticisms of Spain if he or she lives here, it is only natural however much you love a place, just like you would find fault in your own country's failings. I am a fully integrated member of Spanish society but severely disagree with many things about the "system" here. I feel I have the right to comment and maybe even try to help change the system for everybody's good. I can now see that even the Spanish health system is realising that it is behind the times in the subject of childbirth and is starting to relax its incredibly strict protocol that was in place for the convenience of the doctors rather than concerns for the mother and child's safety. I also feel that although I fully respect the father's opinion on this, the woman is the person who is ultimately experiencing the birth process and is the one who will have the trauma that may follow if she suffers more than is necessary. Many women like the relatively easy option of the epidural route, that is their right, as it is the right of a woman to choose how to give birth, it is something so basic and natural. So let's keep things in perspective please, and don't knock someone for trying to sound out the situation for a friend.
You can do it how you like, but don`t try to say that the Spanish health system is to blame.
Obviously they like to do it the safest way as possible for mother and child and I tend to agree with them, up a mountain track is no where near as safe as a hospital in case of a problem.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

They do it the most convenient way for them, not necessarily the safest. But let's not "labour" the point here, let's just agree to disagree, it is so personal!! And on another note regarding birth, anyone who is too posh to push is obviously oblivious to the fact that a caesarean has to be one of the most horrible operations ever in my (experienced) opinion! If you are given a choice and it is not essential, my personal recommendation is no, no and no!! Spanish hospitals love the C for reasons I am yet to understand (seriously, anyone know why? It must cost more for a start).
Old Dec 11th 2008, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

I just wanted to add something here. I personally believe that for me, the best place for me to have a baby is in hospital. Unfortunatley things can go wrong, and sometimes do, and the safest place for mum and baby is in a hospital. Personally I wouldnt even consider a home birth whether here or in spain, because you never can anticipate things that can become a problem, and if i were to have a problem I know full well that the safest place for me and baby to be would be in a hospital. I do understand that people may want minimal intervention, but nothing will ever change my mind that its safest to be in a hospital.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:58 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cajam31
I just wanted to add something here. I personally believe that for me, the best place for me to have a baby is in hospital. Unfortunatley things can go wrong, and sometimes do, and the safest place for mum and baby is in a hospital. Personally I wouldnt even consider a home birth whether here or in spain, because you never can anticipate things that can become a problem, and if i were to have a problem I know full well that the safest place for me and baby to be would be in a hospital. I do understand that people may want minimal intervention, but nothing will ever change my mind that its safest to be in a hospital.
my last one - in the UK - was a hospital birth with no intervention to speak of

it was supposed to be a water birth - very brave of the hospital to agree to it considering the problems with my first - but in the end dd2 was in such a hurry that the pool was still being filled

there would have been no intervention at all if the cord hadn't been around my daughter's neck to such a degree that it was actually cut before she was 'born' (unless the head counts as 'born')

I was glad to be in hospital - though of course I could have had her at home