Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pregnant & Scared #^#*less of doctors

Pregnant & Scared #^#*less of doctors

Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant & Scared #^#*less of doctors

Google is your friend, just put "midwives in Spain" 375,000 pages including this one HERE

I know where I would sooner be if I was having a baby. ;-))
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

If you were having a baby, I'd be first in the queue to get worldwide syndication rights. Sign here, ........................
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I'll stop tub-thumping shortly, & the most important thing is that you've all had deliveries/experiences to suit you, & mums, babies/grandchildren happy & healthy ....however doesn't it seem strange to you to be sounding grateful that they'll let you do things that are actually natural processes & shouldn't be interfered with even half as much as they are in today's techno-medicalised childbirth? It's choice that's at issue - and so far I've no confidence that my friend or anyone else has much choice at all in Spain.
This might be a silly option, but wouldn't she be happier going to the UK, where her OH apparently is, and having her baby there? All the stress you're generating on this Forum isn't good for the future baby....
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
This might be a silly option, but wouldn't she be happier going to the UK, where her OH apparently is, and having her baby there? All the stress you're generating on this Forum isn't good for the future baby....
She's thought about it Re: stress not good for baby, exactamundo
Old Dec 10th 2008, 10:31 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone - gradually building up a picture. It's words & phrases like 'allowed' & 'should recommend' that actually worry my friend & those of us concerned about intervention - but knowing where she might get an ok experience if all else fails is comforting. Thanks for the various websites posted, have to admit I haven't passed them on yet but she's only just up the hill (hope I don't end up HAVING to help, it's a xxxx steep hill) & I'll print them off.
As for being past it..... let me warn you ladies, it's not impossible naturally mid-40s:rofl:
Yes I know - I thought I was pregnant when I was 53!

However, at almost 59, I AM well past it now!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scampicat
Yes I know - I thought I was pregnant when I was 53!

However, at almost 59, I AM well past it now!
I spoke from first hand knowledge, son & heir was probably OH's last chance

(...unless he decides to opt for a newer model!!)

Last edited by fionamw; Dec 10th 2008 at 1:17 pm. Reason: memory
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:45 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Correcto!!
OMG - i find that quite barbaric
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Correcto!!
Hi.
It must be different in different areas coz my hubby was in with me, there was no problem, theyw ere very accomodating and said the birth could be anyway I want it, it was totally lead by us rather than the midwife, but i've never sen a midwife outside of the hospital and have never heard of anyone having a home birth.
For what its worth my experience of giving birth in spain is fantastic, i've had one here and one in the uk and would much rather have one here than in england after experiencing both.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:51 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cajam31
Hi.
It must be different in different areas coz my hubby was in with me, there was no problem, theyw ere very accomodating and said the birth could be anyway I want it, it was totally lead by us rather than the midwife, but i've never sen a midwife outside of the hospital and have never heard of anyone having a home birth.
For what its worth my experience of giving birth in spain is fantastic, i've had one here and one in the uk and would much rather have one here than in england after experiencing both.
Same sentiments as our daughter, during the pregnancy she was looked after much better here, far more scans and checks etc.
Alot of the nurses spoke English and those that didn`t spoke Spanish slowly so she could understand them.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

System hung, so my reply got lost in the ether..... the gist was
Gladly jdr's daughter had a good experience for her. However more scans & checks do not necessarily equal better care. People have a tendency to believe things told them by health professionals, and this often leads to (unnecessary) stress....unfortunately also, when scans/checks give misdiagnoses, to horrific consequences.
I'm still hoping someone will demonstrate that choice is alive and well in childbirth in (hopefully CDS) Spain
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

System hung, so my reply got lost in the ether..... the gist was
Gladly jdr's daughter had a good experience for her. However more scans & checks do not necessarily equal better care. People have a tendency to believe things told them by health professionals, and this often leads to (unnecessary) stress....unfortunately also, when scans/checks give misdiagnoses, to horrific consequences.
I'm still hoping someone will demonstrate that choice is alive and well in childbirth in (hopefully CDS) Spain
I am getting to believe you are one of the people that post on subjects like this and scare the crap out of people for no reason at all.
Of course more check ups and scans are better than none at all, these people do it every day of their lives and have more knowledge than anyone sitting at home worrying and stressing out.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:57 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I am getting to believe you are one of the people that post on subjects like this and scare the crap out of people for no reason at all.
Of course more check ups and scans are better than none at all, these people do it every day of their lives and have more knowledge than anyone sitting at home worrying and stressing out.
I agree. It might be an idea if your friend-living-up-the-steep-hill would come down and use your computer to communicate on the Forum directly. Or maybe her OH, whose ideas on the subject are conspicuous by their absence, could post from the UK.
I'll comment no more, just simply remind you of the saying "When in Rome....."
Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

I have had experience of trying to give birth naturally in a birth centre in Catalonia with midwives, water, you name it. I paid a lot of money as I didn't want the birth to be as the Spanish doctors wanted it to be, and coming from England I truly believe women have the right for it not be medicalised, it is not an illness. Here they quite simply find it much easier and quicker for them if you are on your back with feet in stirrups (sorry if this is too much detail for some!). This is acknowledged as being the WORST way to give birth for the mother, entailing the use of an epidural as you just couldn't bear the pain otherwise (most people at least). So an epidural isn't obligatory but... I ended up in hospital as the baby wasn't moving and that's when a hospital really is needed. The ideal for me is that you have a midwife to attend the birth, but are within reach of a hospital so that they can intervene when really it is really necessary. But the midwife won't be free! Even if you use a midwife for the birth, you will need to go through social security or private care for the pregnancy checks (my private cover wanted to give me a scan every month, a bit excessive in my opinion! My friends and I actually think that the CAPs are better as the private clinics are just after the extra cash from extra procedure, I think that is what Fiona is probably referring to). I have also heard great things about the Costa del Sol hospital, I don't think they apply in many other places in Spain. Husbands can generally be around for the birth itself, unless it's a cesarean. Choice is definitely not encouraged but it needs to make a comeback, Spain's birth protocol has been severely criticised by the World Health Organisation. The following link should clear up doubts about who is paranoid or not, it is called Barcelona Birth but a lot of info is general to birth in Spain. http://www.barcelonabirth.net/ There is good news too in this article http://www.barcelonabirth.net/womenwillbeoffered.html especially for those of you in Andalucia!! Sorry, a bit of a ramble, one of my pet topics!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
Originally Posted by dmu
I agree. It might be an idea if your friend-living-up-the-steep-hill would come down and use your computer to communicate on the Forum directly. Or maybe her OH, whose ideas on the subject are conspicuous by their absence, could post from the UK.
I'll comment no more, just simply remind you of the saying "When in Rome....."
I'm sorry you both think that of me - it was and is a sincere enquiry regarding a sincere fear. However I'll stop posting on this one, close/delete the post if a mod wants. However if you do the research with an open mind you may realise the very thing I and anyone involved in childbirth choice actually want is to reduce stress for a labouring mother. Re friend's OH - well I can't do much about that. Re 'when in Rome'.....seriously???
Old Dec 11th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with Fiona here, I think some people have been implying that we should just get on and accept it, and I sincerely doubt that most people do that with many aspects of living abroad. I bet DMU has his or her fair share of criticisms of Spain if he or she lives here, it is only natural however much you love a place, just like you would find fault in your own country's failings. I am a fully integrated member of Spanish society but severely disagree with many things about the "system" here. I feel I have the right to comment and maybe even try to help change the system for everybody's good. I can now see that even the Spanish health system is realising that it is behind the times in the subject of childbirth and is starting to relax its incredibly strict protocol that was in place for the convenience of the doctors rather than concerns for the mother and child's safety. I also feel that although I fully respect the father's opinion on this, the woman is the person who is ultimately experiencing the birth process and is the one who will have the trauma that may follow if she suffers more than is necessary. Many women like the relatively easy option of the epidural route, that is their right, as it is the right of a woman to choose how to give birth, it is something so basic and natural. So let's keep things in perspective please, and don't knock someone for trying to sound out the situation for a friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.