Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Which place has friendly people?

Which place has friendly people?

Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which place has friendly people?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Spain had the vast proportion of almost any other countries money.....

"In a study for the Elcano Royal Institute, Mr Torreblanca found that in the two decades after joining the EU in 1986 Spain received net transfers of €93.3 billion (at 2004 prices), the equivalent of an extra 0.83% of GDP growth each year for 20 years."
I don't doubt it....I was just wondering why Portugal got left behind? They do seem to have had a wedge of EU money though (the sparkly new highways spring to mind) but they are still the rear end of Europe.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:37 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Might be a little more helpful......
Attached Thumbnails Which place has friendly people?-zemegraf.ashx.png  
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:37 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Veleta
I don't doubt it....I was just wondering why Portugal got left behind? They do seem to have had a wedge of EU money though (the sparkly new highways spring to mind) but they are still the rear end of Europe.
....have you lived here?....I quite like living in an asshole
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
I am starting to like her way of thinking you know......
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

In some parts maybe,but I thought Spain was equal on that.I live near Lisbon...don't see many poor people near here (Actually the Portuguese in the Algarve are a fair bit poorer than their Lisbonite counterparts)

Agree that Spain has thrown off the 'dictatorship' thing more quickly tho',Portugal much more reserved.
But surely Spain has it's poor areas too?...no?
Yes, of course Spain has its poor parts too, but it still considers Portugal to be the poor cousin.

On a random drive through both countries you will notice more poverty in Portugal.....eg, huge number of run down abandoned buildings which in their day must have been wonderful, state of the police cars, etc.

I've driven to Lisbon on a couple of occasions....on one occasion I took a wrong turn entering and I really have no idea where I was, but it looked something like the slums of Bombay! It was the only time I had seen this level of poverty in Europe (ok, so I haven't been everywhere in Europe!).
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:45 pm
Straw Man.

Yes, of course Spain has its poor parts too, but it still considers Portugal to be the poor cousin.

On a random drive through both countries you will notice more poverty in Portugal.....eg, huge number of run down abandoned buildings which in their day must have been wonderful, state of the police cars, etc.

I've driven to Lisbon on a couple of occasions....on one occasion I took a wrong turn entering and I really have no idea where I was, but it looked something like the slums of Bombay! It was the only time I had seen this level of poverty in Europe (ok, so I haven't been everywhere in Europe!).
I think we can safely say that its pointless talking to you about this since you have absolutely no idea what is going on in Spain!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I haven't lived in Portugal, but I worked there for a couple of years (crossed over the border each day).

The "rear end of Europe" comment isn't my own personal opinion.....it's how I have heard Portugal referred to by the Spanish.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think we can safely say that its pointless talking to you about this since you have absolutely no idea what is going on in Spain!
Eh?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:47 pm

Yep,big city,it has it's problems..like any big city,and I think it's a government decision about spending the money,they are not too hot on renovating beautiful buildings,Lisbon could be a whole lot nicer,agreed.
But I've been to many many places in Spain,and thought the same.(Madrid springs to mind,oh and back streets of Barcelona,Granada,Cadiz....)
It just doesn't strike me as that much of a difference between the two to be honest.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

I have done similar in Spain , Uk , Ireland and Greece ,unfortunatley there are poor areas everywhere .
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hondon Voyager
I have done similar in Spain , Uk , Ireland and Greece ,unfortunatley there are poor areas everywhere .
Yes!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:54 pm
Straw Man.

Eh?
How can you say that about Portugal?

Ever been to the slums of Paris? Now you want terrifying thats a place that would scare the living god from your soul, its so bad, when the riots started there a couple of years ago the police took the decision to just let them get on with it!

Some parts of Spain are so bad that ever the Spanish are terrified of them, some areas of Italy are no go areas, and in Greece there are regular drive by shootings on the streets of Athens.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hondon Voyager
Yes, of course there are. But as I said earlier, if you take a long random drive around either country (ie, not comparing specific areas) you will encounter more evidence of poverty in Portugal than in Spain.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:57 pm

How can you say that about Portugal?

Ever been to the slums of Paris? Now you want terrifying thats a place that would scare the living god from your soul, its so bad, when the riots started there a couple of years ago the police took the decision to just let them get on with it!

Some parts of Spain are so bad that ever the Spanish are terrified of them, some areas of Italy are no go areas, and in Greece there are regular drive by shootings on the streets of Athens.
Double yes!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:58 pm

Yes, of course there are. But as I said earlier, if you take a long random drive around either country (ie, not comparing specific areas) you will encounter more evidence of poverty in Portugal than in Spain.
Sorry,that's crap....you have bought into the Spanish attitude towards the Portuguese,it's mutual,let's not even go there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.