PG Tips

Old Mar 23rd 2024, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PG Tips

I remember 20 + years ago I could get Naafi tea bags in UK supermarkets. They were excellent made a proper strong cup of tea. Also in the UK Sainsbury's used to sell their own extra strong tea bags which again was excellent. It does seem that these days you don't get a good strong cup of tea that you used to. Maybe I need to resort to Yorkshire tea but I was always told it was specifically blended to make a good cup of tea with hard Yorkshire water ? Then again most water in Spain is quite hard so that may be the answer or use loose tea in a teapot making as strong as one wants. Spanish tea is way too weak for my taste.
​​​
​​​​
Old Mar 24th 2024, 9:29 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Wot, no reserved space for biscuits and pork pies?

I liked the variety of teas in the UK, now we're back in Oz we drink Twinings english breakfast (extra strong), or good old Yorkshire tea.
Never tried a pork pie (when I hear the word pork I crave for a whole rack of ribs... not a pie!) and not much of a biscuit (or sweet stuff in general) person either, but I am thinking of bringing back lots of stuff for lunch and dinner (marinated meats ready to be put into the oven, etc.) in addition to a traditional shipment of M&S teas.

I'm currently in Oz and Twinings is as good as it gets here. I thought of getting some tea on the way in Singapore but I wasn't sure whether it would be allowed into Australia so I passed on the idea. Do they allow tea in or would it have ended up in the bin?
Old Mar 24th 2024, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I love pork pies (the more jelly the better) and will definitely be having one when I go to the UK next month, maybe bringing one back with me as well. But it definitely won't be a Wall's one or any other supermarket brand, I would rather go without than eat those. Kirkgate Market in Leeds is the most likely port of call for one made by an independent butcher.

When I was working in central Manchester in my much younger days I used to buy a really good pork pie for my lunch some days, from the rather posh food hall in the Kendal Milne department store on Deansgate. At my leaving party one of the gifts they presented me with was a beautifully wrapped and beribboned pork pie from Kendal Milne! Sadly they got rid of the food hall when the store was taken over by House of Fraser
Old Mar 24th 2024, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

My mum used to make one at Christmas time....those were the days when food was real, safe to eat and had taste!
Old Mar 24th 2024, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I love pork pies (the more jelly the better) and will definitely be having one when I go to the UK next month, maybe bringing one back with me as well. But it definitely won't be a Wall's one or any other supermarket brand, I would rather go without than eat those. Kirkgate Market in Leeds is the most likely port of call for one made by an independent butcher.

When I was working in central Manchester in my much younger days I used to buy a really good pork pie for my lunch some days, from the rather posh food hall in the Kendal Milne department store on Deansgate. At my leaving party one of the gifts they presented me with was a beautifully wrapped and beribboned pork pie from Kendal Milne! Sadly they got rid of the food hall when the store was taken over by House of Fraser
I don't think you are allowed to bring back meat products anymore from UK to Spain ?
You are right re a good pork pie from an independent butcher. Walls the meat filling is just totally wrong and one I got ended up in the bin. Years ago I remember Morrisons doing reasonable pork pies . I suppose a lot of it comes down to what one is used to and personal taste. Now if you have sauce with a pork pie is it ketchup brown sauce or mustard? For me it's brown sauce or mustard .
​​​​​
Old Mar 24th 2024, 10:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Never tried a pork pie (when I hear the word pork I crave for a whole rack of ribs... not a pie!) and not much of a biscuit (or sweet stuff in general) person either, but I am thinking of bringing back lots of stuff for lunch and dinner (marinated meats ready to be put into the oven, etc.) in addition to a traditional shipment of M&S teas.

I'm currently in Oz and Twinings is as good as it gets here. I thought of getting some tea on the way in Singapore but I wasn't sure whether it would be allowed into Australia so I passed on the idea. Do they allow tea in or would it have ended up in the bin?
Pork ribs, yum!

No problems bringing packaged tea from Singapore into Australia. I always bring Twinings back because they sell it there in in posh little muslin bags - I'm sure the tea tastes better in those.

Old Mar 24th 2024, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I don't think you are allowed to bring back meat products anymore from UK to Spain ?
You are right re a good pork pie from an independent butcher. Walls the meat filling is just totally wrong and one I got ended up in the bin. Years ago I remember Morrisons doing reasonable pork pies . I suppose a lot of it comes down to what one is used to and personal taste. Now if you have sauce with a pork pie is it ketchup brown sauce or mustard? For me it's brown sauce or mustard .
​​​​​
No, we are not supposed to but I like to live dangerously. I brought some back last year with no problems, they are always in checked in luggage. I think the worst that could happen is that they could be confiscated.

For me it's neither brown sauce nor mustard with a pork pie. They are one of only two food items I like to eat with Branston pickle (the other being a corned beef sandwich and I am picky about the corned beef too, cannot be out of a tin and only buy the supermarket premium brands such as Tesco Finest). I do like brown sauce but it's too wet somehow with a pork pie, and I absolutely loathe mustard, even the smell of it makes me physically sick.
Old Mar 24th 2024, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

No, we are not supposed to but I like to live dangerously. I brought some back last year with no problems, they are always in checked in luggage. I think the worst that could happen is that they could be confiscated.

For me it's neither brown sauce nor mustard with a pork pie. They are one of only two food items I like to eat with Branston pickle (the other being a corned beef sandwich and I am picky about the corned beef too, cannot be out of a tin and only buy the supermarket premium brands such as Tesco Finest). I do like brown sauce but it's too wet somehow with a pork pie, and I absolutely loathe mustard, even the smell of it makes me physically sick.
That reminds me of a snack I used to buy many years ago, a round (as in spherical) pork pie with either pickle (or chutney) mixed in. Pretty good. Can't remember the name.
Old Mar 24th 2024, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Corned beef another favourite of mine and like you not the tinned variety but the pre sliced. A favourite of mine is corned beef and piccalilli sandwich or corned beef and sliced beetroot. I do miss corned beef .
Old Mar 24th 2024, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

These ones look rather good, I wish I could get my hands on one right now.

Traditional Pork Pie - Wissage Bakehouse
Old Mar 24th 2024, 5:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I gave up trying to buy pork pies in Spain so I started making them myself. Its really quite easy and you can get the texture and seasoning the way you like it.
Old Mar 26th 2024, 9:10 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I checked on the Government customs website and it specifically states that meat products CAN be brought into Spain from the UK - will try and find link again
Old Mar 26th 2024, 10:12 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Found this.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=4b2a5...ZW4uaHRt&ntb=1

Rosemary
Old Mar 26th 2024, 11:01 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That link applies to travel WITHIN the EU, not bto the EU. There is a link on theat site which covers travel TO the EU.

If you travel to the EU from a non-EU country, you are not allowed to bring any meat or dairy products with you. You can however bring a limited quantity of fruit and vegetables as well as eggs, egg products and honey. Restricted quantities of fish or fish products are also allowed.
Old Mar 26th 2024, 11:30 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I checked on the Government customs website and it specifically states that meat products CAN be brought into Spain from the UK - will try and find link again
If you mean the UK government website, they updated the advice to say you can't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.