PAYG eSim

Old May 1st 2023, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PAYG eSim

So is it likely that in the near future SIM cards will be phased out all together?
Old May 1st 2023, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
So is it likely that in the near future SIM cards will be phased out all together?
In some countries it’s heading that way already. New iPhones (iPhone 14 onwards) sold in the US since last year don’t have sim slots so will only accept esim. I think it will take a long time to phase out globally if ever. But I can see it happening in developed countries in the coming years. Less plastic knocking around and esims are very easy to manage.
Old May 1st 2023, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKMS
In some countries it’s heading that way already. New iPhones (iPhone 14 onwards) sold in the US since last year don’t have sim slots so will only accept esim. I think it will take a long time to phase out globally if ever. But I can see it happening in developed countries in the coming years. Less plastic knocking around and esims are very easy to manage.
Thanks I thought that would be how it may go
Old May 1st 2023, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely yes, but no-one should worry that their existing sim or phone will suddenly stop working. SIM stands for "Subscriber Identity Module" and it's key function is just to identify you on the network All an esim does is replace the identity data held on a sim card with data written to a chip in the phone. An esim chip potentially can store up to 30 lines altough current iPhones are limited to 8! In the past, the plastic sim also held other data like your contact book which was useful if you got a new phone, but now that phones store the data in the cloud or can do NFC transfers, even that function has become redundant. If you then stop and think about the space that sim card slots take up inside a phone, you can see the advantage to the phone designers too. The sim card slots also need to be powered, so there are further gains in battery life. You also can have problems with the mechanical contacts either in the phone or the sim card causing network drop outs, which esims don't suffer from. Finally, an esim can be delivered electronically, in a QR code, so the networks save a lot of money not administering and sending out bits of plastic. Timescale? No idea but the process is definitely under way.

Last edited by rbs_gb; May 1st 2023 at 10:30 pm.
Old May 2nd 2023, 12:31 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I also believe you can roll over unused data?
Correct, with Digi all unused data from the current month will roll over to the next month. Some networks like Simyo will roll up to 2 months' worth of unused data.

Although Simyo is not the top choice if you want international calls to 60 counties to be included (free) in your plan, it is by far the top choice if you want to manage a couple of phones for the entire family as it has the easiest way of tailoring each family member's plan and even tweaking it whenever you want (one person needs a bit more data? easy peasy...), plus the #1 network app to do exactly that (and lots more). The Simyo brand belongs to Orange so you're also in good hands and on a solid network.

Many of the telcos PAYG plans are broadly the same and pretty competitive these days.
I think the important part really is whether you get the coverage of a particular provider where you live/work.
Both yes and no - if you just need the basics then it's all pretty much the same. But once you add things like international calls being included (say you want to call family on both landlines and mobiles in the UK and Australia, or possibly in lots of other countries when they're travelling), then you can be left with very few attractive options. I went from Vodafone to Orange to Simyo before finally porting my number to DIGI for what is a great tariff for my use. In this case it was by far the best one and no other network has been able to match it.

Coverage is certainly important and here all three major networks are quite good, but in general Movistar is regarded as the top network in Spain coverage-wise. If someone lives away from the city then it's still a good idea to check which network has the closest cell towers to ensure the strongest reception possible even inside the walls, or in the basement too...

It looks like the physical SIM card could share the fate of the music industry's CD after streaming (and digital sales) took over. Although the reasons might be different, it all boils down to technological relevancy. Do you need a CD if you can download or stream tracks? Some still might, but most won't. Do you need a SIM to verify you with your network if the same information can be provided and stored digitally without a physical chip present? Same answer.

Things are definitely speeding up. I actively maintain SIM cards in 4 countries for travel purposes and one of the networks has recently offered switching to eSIM just by selecting the option in their app, promising to get the eSIM working within 3 hrs without a visit to any of their stores. Tempting? Yes, definitely...
Old May 2nd 2023, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I checked only Vodafone and Movistar were offering eSIM in Spain and their prices are a little high when compared to Digi. A complete pain if you're looking for an Apple watch or a US model iPhone which I guess is the reason the OP is asking,
Old May 2nd 2023, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
The last time I checked only Vodafone and Movistar were offering eSIM in Spain and their prices are a little high when compared to Digi.
The current Vodafone PAYG rates are the same and in some cases better than Digi (same international minutes but more data). I think the only slight difference is the roll over of data but Voda give ‘bonuses’ for recharging early.

As of today. For €15 Digi give 50gb data and 800mins ~ Voda give 100gb and 800mins you also get EU and UK roaming free with Voda not sure about Digi.

The bottom line is that as I’m sure we all appreciate all operators are in competition and the main ones rarely let each other out of sight.

It seems that mobile tariffs seem to offer good value unlike many other aspects of life at the moment 😁
Old May 2nd 2023, 10:34 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
A complete pain if you're looking for an Apple watch or a US model iPhone which I guess is the reason the OP is asking,
I'd be surprised if anyone handled the second SIM for the iWatch without any issues. Movistar perhaps?

The current Vodafone PAYG rates are the same and in some cases better than Digi (same international minutes but more data).
Vodafone's data is doubled just as a promo offer and ends today (unless it's one of those companies that dangles these offers, constantly pretending they're about to end...). They do roll-over data and minutes which is a plus. Well done there.

Unfortunately Voda's international minutes are a shambles though and not in the same league as Digi. Voda's offer is riddled with holes and has so many exclusions it's almost like a trap, especially if you call mobiles. I used to be with Voda, and then I dropped them (for this and other reasons too).

When looking for a postpaid contract I'd say go with whatever network is providing you with home broadband, as long as they have a tariff that suits you. But with prepaid I would stick with Simyo (Orange brand) for the entire family and Digi for those who want international calls included.
Old May 2nd 2023, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by astera
I'd be surprised if anyone handled the second SIM for the iWatch without any issues. Movistar perhaps?

Vodafone's data is doubled just as a promo offer and ends today (unless it's one of those companies that dangles these offers, constantly pretending they're about to end...). They do roll-over data and minutes which is a plus. Well done there.

Unfortunately Voda's international minutes are a shambles though and not in the same league as Digi. Voda's offer is riddled with holes and has so many exclusions it's almost like a trap, especially if you call mobiles. I used to be with Voda, and then I dropped them (for this and other reasons too).

When looking for a postpaid contract I'd say go with whatever network is providing you with home broadband, as long as they have a tariff that suits you. But with prepaid I would stick with Simyo (Orange brand) for the entire family and Digi for those who want international calls included.
It’s all horses for courses I suppose as long as it works for you.

I totally agree about the Simyo app and website …. It’s superb it’s just a shame for me that the coverage is patchy when I’m out and about also with Simyo they don’t give you access to the Orange 5G network although they keep promising to change that. I have a Simyo SIM in a 4G WiFi router that I stream my TV through …. Generally works well.
Old May 2nd 2023, 11:22 am

It’s all horses for courses I suppose as long as it works for you.
For me it was the international calling that convinced me to port my number to Digi. Need to call a mobile in Australia for instance? No problem - free of charge. Even Lebara, which includes most destinations, wasn't able to offer this...

I do have everyone else in the family on Simyo though. A joy to manage.

I totally agree about the Simyo app and website …. It’s superb it’s just a shame for me that the coverage is patchy when I’m out and about also with Simyo they don’t give you access to the Orange 5G network although they keep promising to change that. I have a Simyo SIM in a 4G WiFi router that I stream my TV through …. Generally works well.
What took me by surprise is that Simyo is light years ahead of Orange in terms of the website and app... even though it is fully-owned by the latter. It's so easy to customise those tariffs and adjust them as you go along to match your needs. I even got a SIM for my iPad which costs me only 2 Euros/mth and provides 4GB (with roll-over) which is plenty for doing small stuff on the road or the odd bit of sports streaming. Is your 4G router a pocket one or one of those home routers that needs to be plugged into the power supply?

Coverage-wise I thought Orange was pretty solid, same for Vodafone, though Movistar did save the day in some locations on Tenerife.
Old May 2nd 2023, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by astera
For me it was the international calling that convinced me to port my number to Digi. Need to call a mobile in Australia for instance? No problem - free of charge. Even Lebara, which includes most destinations, wasn't able to offer this...

I do have everyone else in the family on Simyo though. A joy to manage.

What took me by surprise is that Simyo is light years ahead of Orange in terms of the website and app... even though it is fully-owned by the latter. It's so easy to customise those tariffs and adjust them as you go along to match your needs. I even got a SIM for my iPad which costs me only 2 Euros/mth and provides 4GB (with roll-over) which is plenty for doing small stuff on the road or the odd bit of sports streaming. Is your 4G router a pocket one or one of those home routers that needs to be plugged into the power supply?

Coverage-wise I thought Orange was pretty solid, same for Vodafone, though Movistar did save the day in some locations on Tenerife.
The 4G router I have right now is much like a home router plugged in to the mains. Because it’s obviously static the signal is solid and it has served me well particularly as in the past my visits have been sporadic. I’ll be spending more time here (Tenerife North) over the next few months due to a family illness so I am having fibre connected this week more so really that I don’t need to worry how much data is consumed as I’m pulling the TV stream through it.

Regarding Orange (Simyo) coverage if I roam on Orange on my UAE number the coverage is superb as it happily switches between 4G and 5G but with Simyo I have found odd spots where I lose coverage on 4G which I can’t afford to happen if I’m working. Voda has blanket 4G and 5G coverage where I need it.

I’ve heard before about Voda being picky about the international numbers although they now have a dial code checker for all the international destinations that you can check up front. I only really call back to the UK here from a Spanish phone and they cover all the mobiles and landlines in the UK I need .

Old May 2nd 2023, 1:10 pm

I’ll be spending more time here (Tenerife North) over the next few months due to a family illness so I am having fibre connected this week more so really that I don’t need to worry how much data is consumed as I’m pulling the TV stream through it.
Sorry to hear that. FWIW Candelaria University Hospital, if that is a place you'll be dealing with, has a very good reputation. To the point that when other hospitals run out of ideas or options then Candelaria takes over and does a proper job curing that which is curable.

Fibre works well here, no complaints. It's probably all Movistar in terms of actual architecture though other networks market and sell it. I just went with Movistar as it seemed safest to go with a company that handles the product from a to z. I don't like contracts in general but at least their offer is "sin permanencia" so you're not locked in...
Old May 2nd 2023, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A friend of mine who was on Simyo lost his phone and Sim card. He also ended up locked out of Google and only way they would send him new log in details was by email no good as locked out or SMS to registered phone. I suggested only way to resolve it was as he bought a new phone get SIMYO to send a new Sim card with his original number. Not so simple with SIMYO they won't send it without him providing the PUK code which he doesn't have. SIMYO were OK with him on the phone but ended up sending him to various mediart shops where they said they had staff to resolve the issue. He went to the shops they said no we can't. He ended up having to buy a new sim different provider but can't resolve the other issues. I was of the belief that your provider can provide the details after you answer security questions and send out a new sim?
Old May 2nd 2023, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

A friend of mine who was on Simyo lost his phone and Sim card. He also ended up locked out of Google and only way they would send him new log in details was by email no good as locked out or SMS to registered phone. I suggested only way to resolve it was as he bought a new phone get SIMYO to send a new Sim card with his original number. Not so simple with SIMYO they won't send it without him providing the PUK code which he doesn't have. SIMYO were OK with him on the phone but ended up sending him to various mediart shops where they said they had staff to resolve the issue. He went to the shops they said no we can't. He ended up having to buy a new sim different provider but can't resolve the other issues. I was of the belief that your provider can provide the details after you answer security questions and send out a new sim?
I don’t have any direct experience of Simyo customer service but this is not an unusual problem with secondary / virtual networks (in any country) that when you have a challenging problem it’s not always easy to resolve where as the primary networks have proper stores to go to who will usually be able to deal with most issues in person (granted not always) but you do stand a better chance.
Old May 2nd 2023, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don’t have any direct experience of Simyo customer service but this is not an unusual problem with secondary / virtual networks (in any country) that when you have a challenging problem it’s not always easy to resolve where as the primary networks have proper stores to go to who will usually be able to deal with most issues in person (granted not always) but you do stand a better chance.
True mind I did say to him always keep the card your sim card comes on as that has all the info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.