On our way

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On our way

Originally Posted by SueG
I am so sorry to hear your news - best wishes that you get sorted - just be thankful neither of you were hurt.

Echo'd by me. That's terrible. Chin up .
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SHERGAR
Unfortunately, after all the good luck wishes from all, within two hours of crossing the border we were robbed by some very professional aliens who made off with expats handbag containing 6000 euros, passports and some credit cards.

The police were most helpful but that does not make it easier.
we are determined to stay (and possibly finding the b****ds and throttling them with my bare hands).

the next couple of days are going to be rather difficult, opening a bank account and transferring moneys, applying for new passports and finding somewhere to rent.

Onwards and upwards, we will keep in touch.
Oh dear thats terrible .... how did they do it, just snatched?
So sorry
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

SHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud of

a spanish registered car drove by and they exploded something against the car (we did not realise this until later) then they drove in front of us and stopped us.
A man came from the passengers side and spoke to our driver (Shergar)explaining something had happened to one of the wheels.
This man the walked around the back of the car,still talking to the driver. He then opened the passenger front door. I was sat in there, he put his foot in the door whilst talking to Shergar. I pushed his foot out and closed the door, by then, a second person from the Spanish car, whom I had not seen approaching because the first guy opened my door and I was busy pushing him out, leaned in through the drivers door and pulled my handbag from between my legs. By the time Shergar noticed they had both run of, jumped into their car and drove off at high speed.
I am very shaken and very very angry that I could have been so stupid.

Not only did they get my bag, it also had a second set of car keys (mine) and the hotel we have booked in tonight does not have secure parking and I am Cr^^ing myself that they may come back and take the car as the name and address of the hotel where we have booked is in the bag.

Having money transferred from our building society in England is another problem. We have just been told that we need to do this personally in a branch in UK. Their answer was to keep drawing money out here on a daily basis until we have enough to cover rent and deposit etc.
How long do they think that is going to take us whilst paying hotel bills at the same time as the limit on the card is 300 pound a day?

Problems, problems. We may be old but not defeatists.
Shergar still has fire in his belly.
We'll keep in touch.

Expat
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:38 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thats awfull to hear,so sorry,and I expect it is all going to take some sorting out,try and stay positive ,a right and proper downer though,has Sueg says at least you wasn't hurt.........I just hope things get better for you from here on in, take care
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:39 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SHERGAR
a spanish registered car drove by and they exploded something against the car (we did not realise this until later) then they drove in front of us and stopped us.
A man came from the passengers side and spoke to our driver (Shergar)explaining something had happened to one of the wheels.
This man the walked around the back of the car,still talking to the driver. He then opened the passenger front door. I was sat in there, he put his foot in the door whilst talking to Shergar. I pushed his foot out and closed the door, by then, a second person from the Spanish car, whom I had not seen approaching because the first guy opened my door and I was busy pushing him out, leaned in through the drivers door and pulled my handbag from between my legs. By the time Shergar noticed they had both run of, jumped into their car and drove off at high speed.
I am very shaken and very very angry that I could have been so stupid.

Not only did they get my bag, it also had a second set of car keys (mine) and the hotel we have booked in tonight does not have secure parking and I am Cr^^ing myself that they may come back and take the car as the name and address of the hotel where we have booked is in the bag.

Having money transferred from our building society in England is another problem. We have just been told that we need to do this personally in a branch in UK. Their answer was to keep drawing money out here on a daily basis until we have enough to cover rent and deposit etc.
How long do they think that is going to take us whilst paying hotel bills at the same time as the limit on the card is 300 pound a day?

Problems, problems. We may be old but not defeatists.
Shergar still has fire in his belly.
We'll keep in touch.

Expat

OMG that must have been a terrifying ordeal for you both.

I hope the bastards have a slow miserable painful death, then rot in hell!!

Take care xx
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

how awful! sorry to hear this happened..
Hope you manage to get matters sorted out
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:29 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Dreadfully sorry to hear such terrible news, thankfully you are both still in one piece although I expect you are still in a state of shock, my thoughts are with you and hopefully your luck will turn for the better soon.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:23 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

So, so sorry to hear that you have had such a horrible experience as your introduction to Spain. I am sure that this will not stop your plans and that your anger and disbelief of what happened will spur you on.

Quitters never win and winners never quit.

Good Luck.

Rosemary
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:16 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

What a complete pile of cak. I really am sorry to hear that you have had an experience like that.

I hope that everyone here takes this to heart, and be prepared in case anything like this happens to the rest of us. My daughter and her fiancee are going to be driving down to bring the dogs to us, so they will be told about this.

The rental company we use in Spain always says never to stop if accosted, and after reading this, I would add, no matter what happens. I do know that the 'chorizos' tend to hang around near airports looking for tourists, and try and kid them that there is something wrong with the car.

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting all this. I just hope that this is the only problem you have, and that it doesn't spoil your time in Spain.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

happybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant future

What can i say im so sorry for you both. Things can only get better. best wishes sent to you both
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible thing to happen to you, but it does show the sense of using currency transfer companies instead of carrying very large amounts of cash around. Plenty of instances of that sort of thing happening, and they do seem to target UK cars or hire cars on the way from airports. Local papers are always saying NEVER to stop, the Spanish police DO NOT use unmarked cars for such work, so if they challenge you, just get out your mobile, make as if you are phoning the police, and they often clear off.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Diddy Di will become famous soon enough

Really sorry to hear your bad news, i really they catch the B...... & get what is due to them.Also hope you calmed down & now realise its not your fault. They have done it before no doubt and know how to catch people on the hop.
Would also like to say a big THANK YOU for drawing our attention to this, we will learn not to react as you did, or will we you never know how you are going to react until it happens to you!!!
Again i hope you are ok & the mess is sorted out quickly & you can start to enjoy your new life. XX
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

That's really terrible news

So sorry to hear of the awful shock you've had - and so soon after your arrival, on what was meant to be the start of a wonderful adventure

You've been very thoughtful in recounting your experiences; which will no doubt help other people to be aware of similar circumstances.

The Bar Stewards really deserve to be strung up and to die a slow painful death; the injustice of it all is so very hard to swallow.

You sound like you're keeping amazingly positive despite this trauma.
Hopefully you are feeling a little less shocked; but I'm sure you are as angry as hell :curse:
Let's hope the police can help track these swines down (just a shame they wouldn't leave you alone in the room with them )

It's an absolutely rotten way to start your new life, but I really hope that things will go onwards and upwards for you from now on.
Those unmentionables will get their come uppance; what goes around comes around.

Looking forward to hearing that you're doing OK, and that you'll be settled wherever it is you're heading for, very soon.

Sending you karma and positive thoughts,
from Sam.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone had an update from shergar at all please ?

I was just thinking about the theft for which he was the victim.

Apart from probably being covered by his motor insurance I wonder if he still has a valid policy of contents insurance for his old house.

<commence ramble>Small print can be a bad or good thing and I remember (sometimes) that some Police Forces in the UK, when receiving a Theft report from a visiting foreign national remind them that their theft might be covered on the household insurance back home. A good example of this is stolen Bicycles and suitcases when not at home.</end ramble>
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Has anyone had an update from shergar at all please ?

I was just thinking about the theft for which he was the victim.

Apart from probably being covered by his motor insurance I wonder if he still has a valid policy of contents insurance for his old house.

<commence ramble>Small print can be a bad or good thing and I remember (sometimes) that some Police Forces in the UK, when receiving a Theft report from a visiting foreign national remind them that their theft might be covered on the household insurance back home. A good example of this is stolen Bicycles and suitcases when not at home.</end ramble>
Years ago we claimed on the house ins for my daughters mobile that she had nicked while on holiday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.