Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ono...work this one out.

Ono...work this one out.

Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ono...work this one out.

A friend of mine was helping someone out to get an internet connection.They went to Ono and sorted everything out and were told it was 29 euros for the contract.

A bit later Ono called and said it wasnt 29 euros but 60.00 euros.When questioned why they said it was because of the surname of the applicant.

Can anyone explain why????..sounds a bit scammy to me.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ono...work this one out.

Originally Posted by paintermujer
A friend of mine was helping someone out to get an internet connection.They went to Ono and sorted everything out and were told it was 29 euros for the contract.

A bit later Ono called and said it wasnt 29 euros but 60.00 euros.When questioned why they said it was because of the surname of the applicant.

Sounds like a misunderstanding somewhere, maybe down to language difficulties?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

My friend has lived in spain for 32 years.Her spanish is very good.Needless to say they will be going elsewhere.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:24 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer

Extranjero price?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Extranjero price?
Well that is what the OP is suggesting, but the concept is so ridiculous then there must have been a misunderstanding

Because I am sure big multinational companies like Ono would do that - what the hell would they have to gain?

Some British people in Spain like to cry "racist" when it suits them, but there is almost always an easier explanation, if only they understood
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:45 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well that is what the OP is suggesting, but the concept is so ridiculous then there must have been a misunderstanding

Because I am sure big multinational companies like Ono would do that - what the hell would they have to gain?

Some British people in Spain like to cry "racist" when it suits them, but there is almost always an easier explanation, if only they understood
I agree it seems ridiculous, and I'd seriously question whether it could ever be a matter of policy. Still, I'm oft surprised at the crap so many companies get away with that they'd never get away with in the UK or most of the rest of Europe.

...and here at least, the two-price system is not an uncommon practice (and by the way it has everything to do with profiteering and nothing to do with racism), so I'd have some difficulty being shocked in the unlikely event it were proven to be true.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

...and here at least, the two-price system is not an uncommon practice (and by the way it has everything to do with profiteering and nothing to do with racism), so I'd have some difficulty being shocked in the unlikely event it were proven to be true.
There is a two price system in tourist areas, but this isnt anti-foreigners, it is offering lower prices to regulars and people who live there

When I lived on the Costa del sol, a place that used to charge 2 euros 50 for a coffee for tourists charged us 1 euro

Whether they would have charged us the tourist price if we were speaking English, I dont know

Btw, this happens everywhere in the world, tourists nearly always pay more
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:59 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

There is a two price system in tourist areas, but this isnt anti-foreigners, it is offering lower prices to regulars and people who live there

When I lived on the Costa del sol, a place that used to charge 2 euros 50 for a coffee for tourists charged us 1 euro

Whether they would have charged us the tourist price if we were speaking English, I dont know

Btw, this happens everywhere in the world, tourists nearly always pay more
Not always the case, but in Madrid it's quite common for a bar owner to "invite" you to a drink when he realises you're a guiri. Of course this is marketing - they hope you'll spread the word among others, and perhaps add a little to the bar's image (they tend to have more of a Sherlock Holmes or Hugh Grant image of Brits there, it's a totally different atmosphere to the coast). So the flexible pricing can work both ways.
And yes, bar owners all over the place like to charge less to regular locals. Just a lot less common in the UK where the breweries, pubcos etc have so much power.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

But still illegal
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
But still illegal
Illegal practicies in Spain, really?

Personally I love the way we get lots of free and cheap goodies from the local shops to encourage us to come back. My son gets balloons, toys, pastries etc from the panaderia and fruteria

One thing I've noticed is that Spanish businesses constantly undercharge according to their quote. Removals companies, garages, taxis, furniture shops, bathroom shops have all quoted me a price for a work or product, but then when they deliver they have charged me less than they quoted - which is a nice surprise, but doesnt make much sense business wise

And there are numerous occassions when in El Corte Ingles, Decathlon etc the price charged has been much less than that stated on the ticket, normally they say its because they havent changed the ticket yet - again doesnt make much sense

Maybe its because I am British like steviedeluxe says
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:25 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

But still illegal
only illegal if you're charging someone more than the listed price, surely?

if the owner of my regular bar wants to charge me a bit less, or 'round down' to the nearest euro, how can that be illegal - it's only really like them buying me the occasional coffee
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:31 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

In Playa Flamenca at the market we used to buy a few things to send to the UK as presnets or because they wanted them. Our Granddaughter wanted a pair of the little Spanish dancing shoes, and we went to one stall to buy them, he told us one price, we haggled and got a little discount, we then said in Spanish we're not tourists but residents, and got a further €2 off the price.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:39 pm
Banned

But still illegal
Yes, but according to some, it never happens. Then later, of course, the admission that it does happen but it's OK because it happens everywhere.

Funny, I never had it happen in Germany. Or Holland. Or Sweden. Or France.. Italy, yes.. UK obviously not.

By the way, I'm no tourist. I have residency and a NIE, just like anyone else, and believe me, at some shops (especially garages) my price is still much higher because they assume I'm a "rich" foreigner who can afford it (just look at my surname to verify), and is naive enough to accept a much higher price than the rest without complaining. The one thing I hate the most is the quote of "about €100" for a car repair, and when you pick it up, it's €600, and they replaced things having nothing to do with the problem, without even calling you to ask your permission. That really pisses me off.

So, now I send a Mallorquin friend to do business with those shops on my behalf. Siempre mas barato!

Is it legal? I don't know, but I'd have to reckon it's not exactly illegal. And it's certainly not racist.

Last edited by amideislas; Mar 5th 2013 at 2:43 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, but according to some, it never happens. Then later, of course, the admission that it does happen but it's OK because it happens everywhere.

Funny, I never had it happen in Germany. Or Holland. Or Sweden. Or France.. Italy, yes.. UK obviously not.

By the way, I'm no tourist. I have residency and a NIE, just like anyone else, and believe me, at some shops (especially garages) my price is still much higher because they assume I'm a "rich" foreigner who can afford it (just look at my surname to verify), and is naive enough to accept a much higher price than the rest without complaining.

So, I send a Mallorquin friend to do business with those shops on my behalf. Siempre mas barato!

Is it legal? I don't know, but I'd have to reckon it's not exactly illegal. And it's certainly not racist.
If you dont speak good Spanish, then you are still a tourist in the eyes of the locals - which is actually pretty true. Most Brits are in Spain because of the sun and sand, and less so for Spanish people, culture and business

As I've said before on this forum, personal relationships are everything in Spain. The ability to make the odd joke or smart comment in the right place in priceless. People need to be able to warm to you. This is obviously a very foreign concept to the British

Last edited by cricketman; Mar 5th 2013 at 2:44 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:45 pm
Banned

If you dont speak good Spanish, then you are still a tourist in the eyes of the locals - which is actually pretty true. Most Brits are in Spain because of the sun and sand, and less so for Spanish people, culture and business

As I've said before on this forum, personal relationships are everything in Spain. The ability to make the odd joke or smart comment in the right place in priceless. People need to be able to warm to you. This is obviously a very foreign concept to the British
So it is OK to profiteer at my expense. Thanks for straightening me out on that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.