Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Once again the papers confirm what we all know

Once again the papers confirm what we all know

Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:04 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Once again the papers confirm what we all know

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Who are the other 7 countries that in the survey?
you will find it all at
http://www.uswitch.com/news/money/us...ope-900002286/

hth
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

A survey of 2000 people over 10 countries can hardly be described as official as the yahoo article states.
To me it is no more than an advertising tool to get you to the uswitch web site.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:31 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Strange then that it is the country of choice for so many immigrants from all around the World both legal and illegal.

Strange that having travelled such vast distances and gained access to the whole of Europe, they then risk their lives and occasionally lose them in repeated desperate attempts to get to their promised land.

Strange that so many Brits who have over the years have spouted this same old bash-britain nonsense, eventually do a U-turn and decide that the UK is really the best place to be after all..
And quite obviously nothing to do with the benefits system and availability of what may be far superior accommodation for some ?
better to live in a cold and wet country in a watertight house than a leaky tent or tin hut?
If a refugee fleeing oppression they are supposed to claim asylum at the first safe country, not leave it until they get to the one they find the most convenient.
Just seems funny that in some instances they are fleeing countries that we are friendly with and providing aid to.

I have witnessed it so often, including the vast majority of my own circle of friends, that I no longer take such crap articles seriously, but instead prefer to believe those that speak by their actions after LONG TERM experience of both sides of the coin.

Many have returned more recently realizing full well they will be better of financially and also have the benefit of a far superior benefit system.

However most of my past acquaintances who returned were under no such financial pressures at all and appeared at first sight to be very content with their new life and yet they they eventually went back simply out of choice..
That free choice is something we all have, whether it is leaving the uk or leaving sp.

I think it is only after having lived in the sun for a great many years, that most folk are in a position to take a really balanced view of the vast array of other pros and cons, so consequently I tend to take most of the others with a huge pinch of salt.

I could even mention Biggsy for instance as an extreme example, who eventually preferred the risk of life at Her Majesties Pleasure. .
Biggs came home not because he missed the fish and chip suppers, sausage and mash or cold rain running down the neck - he came home because he had been diagnosed with cancer and knew he would be able to get better treatment in the UK, thinking I believe, that he would be able to mitigate his remaining prison sentence due to his illness (a card played by his son )

Personally I still very much enjoy my time in both countries, however having previously spent so much of my time outside of the UK, I now appreciate much more than ever before just how much the UK really has to offer, especially my own little corner.
Dick you are lucky to have been able to spend much time outside the UK experiencing the delights of other countries and cultures in such depth.
many manage to only experience it for a week or so on a foreign holiday, fall "in love" (or is that just infatuation), sell up and jump into hot water without a thought, regretting it from the moment they arrive.

I have met returning expats but they are all tight lipped about their reason(s) for returning.
One couple I know living in Murcia are desperate turn return to the uk but cannot\willnot due to "the high house prices" in the uk, continually complain at the expense of living in spain, they are in their 80's now and I believe just feeling the call of their homeland...

There was a time I would have spent the rest of my life living in a malayan kampong, table cloth round my waste, flipflops, no hassle, now worries, no job, no future........ Then the hangover wore off and I came home.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by johnnyone
A survey of 2000 people over 10 countries can hardly be described as official as the yahoo article states.
To me it is no more than an advertising tool to get you to the uswitch web site.
oh you cynic, denying "serious reporting"

Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:49 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I was lucky enough years ago to be able to come to live and work in Spain. I'm still here, living and working, though the 'working' is done in front of a computer screen now.

I acknowledge that it could all change in an instant, for many reasons, and I would feel happy to return to the UK. The fickle finger of fate rules my life, and I suspect everyone else's too.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Surely life is what you make it whether this is in the UK or Spain or any other country. If you are a miserable, negtive type of person you will tend to see the negative aspects of anywhere that you live and of course gain negative feedback from the people around you. If on the other hand you have a positive nature this will be reversed. Having said that probably the best nature to have is a positive but realistic one whereby you give off positive vibes and gain positive feedback whilst keeping your feet firmly on the ground.

Nothing in life is 100% negative or positive but somewhere in between and this is why your attitude to things can effect your experiences.

Personally I am content to continue to live in Spain. Not because I wear rose tinted glasses but because I have experienced far more positives than negatives, however I would not rule out living in the UK. The last two years have been extremerly negative for us but we are still positive about our lives here. It is impossible to clearly ascertain what affects our views the most. I find it very hard to define how much of our positive attitude is due to the weather, where we live, the people around us or what we put into it, but nevertheless overall we feel settled and happy to continue here.

If we felt the need to move to the UK we would not be negative about Spain or the UK because we are not of that nature. We would look at what was wrong with our lives and endeavour to alter those aspects in order to make thing better and more positive.

Rosemary
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:46 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Strange then that it is the country of choice for so many immigrants from all around the World both legal and illegal.

Strange that having travelled such vast distances and gained access to the whole of Europe, they then risk their lives and occasionally lose them in repeated desperate attempts to get to their promised land.

Strange that so many Brits who have over the years have spouted this same old bash-britain nonsense, eventually do a U-turn and decide that the UK is really the best place to be after all.

I have witnessed it so often, including the vast majority of my own circle of friends, that I no longer take such crap articles seriously, but instead prefer to believe those that speak by their actions after LONG TERM experience of both sides of the coin.

Many have returned more recently realizing full well they will be better of financially and also have the benefit of a far superior benefit system.

However most of my past acquaintances who returned were under no such financial pressures at all and appeared at first sight to be very content with their new life and yet they they eventually went back simply out of choice.

I think it is only after having lived in the sun for a great many years, that most folk are in a position to take a really balanced view of the vast array of other pros and cons, so consequently I tend to take most of the others with a huge pinch of salt.

I could even mention Biggsy for instance as an extreme example, who eventually preferred the risk of life at Her Majesties Pleasure.

Personally I still very much enjoy my time in both countries, however having previously spent so much of my time outside of the UK, I now appreciate much more than ever before just how much the UK really has to offer, especially my own little corner.
The UK is the target because of a number of reasons. It is seen as soft on immigrants, and it's a very multicultural society.

Biggs? Dear god but the government was stupid over him. They were so desperate to gain the kudos of putting him behind bars, that they didn't care that the rest of us would have to pay to keep him for the rest of his life.

What they should have said was "You wanted out, you got out. Now piss off."
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Cue the usual suspects....
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Oh yes I know. But this is an Expat forum and I'm an Expat. I came out here for the positive changes, rather than to run away from anything.Those who don't want to leave England, or who want to go back are welcome to. They are also welcome to stop thinking of themselves as Expats, or wannabe expats. Though I'm sure their stories of how awful it was for them to live in Spain will be a warning to those considering coming for the wrong reasons.
Absolutely!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Strange that so many Brits who have over the years have spouted this same old bash-britain nonsense, eventually do a U-turn and decide that the UK is really the best place to be after all.

However most of my past acquaintances who returned were under no such financial pressures at all and appeared at first sight to be very content with their new life and yet they they eventually went back simply out of choice.

I could even mention Biggsy for instance as an extreme example, who eventually preferred the risk of life at Her Majesties Pleasure.

He did a deal with HMG, it was better than being shot in his own house like his friend was... after upsetting the real 'big boys' here.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by megmet
He did a deal with HMG, it was better than being shot in his own house like his friend was... after upsetting the real 'big boys' here.
IMHO Biggs (and the others) received excessive sentences.
Nowadays you could get less for murder and rape and pillage.

But then that was a typical Crime against Property sentence of the 60's and even now Crime Against Person warrents less.
The UK cannot deport a convicted rapist to his native Nigeria because it would violate his human right to family life.
But it can insist a sick old man completes his prison sentence.

ho hum
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:49 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The train robbers got excessive sentences and so did some of the recent rioters. Our honourable judges protect the establishment from whence they came, with its emphasis on property. The Bullingdon boys are back in power now and they've never really been away from it.

Wasn't Biggs the one who actually clubbed the old train driver for no reason? No matter, the sentence was silly, handed down by a Lord and landowner. If he had been able to, I'm sure he would have donned his black cap and sent the lot of them to the gallows. Or to Australia, like they used to.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:11 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The train robbers got excessive sentences and so did some of the recent rioters. Our honourable judges protect the establishment from whence they came, with its emphasis on property. The Bullingdon boys are back in power now and they've never really been away from it.

Wasn't Biggs the one who actually clubbed the old train driver for no reason? No matter, the sentence was silly, handed down by a Lord and landowner. If he had been able to, I'm sure he would have donned his black cap and sent the lot of them to the gallows. Or to Australia, like they used to.
No, it wasn't Biggs, and the train driver did not die from his injuries. He actually said that the robbers, apart from hitting him on the head that time, were actually quite decent to him, making sure he was alright.

All that crap about Biggs & Co murdering him was down to government lies. He was forced to recant the statement that they were good to him or be sacked with no pension.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:20 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
No, it wasn't Biggs, and the train driver did not die from his injuries. He actually said that the robbers, apart from hitting him on the head that time, were actually quite decent to him, making sure he was alright.

All that crap about Biggs & Co murdering him was down to government lies. He was forced to recant the statement that they were good to him or be sacked with no pension.
The train robbers were never charged with murdering the train driver, he lived on for many years after the event and died of natural causes. Biggs wasn't one of the leaders, he was only a minor player. Bruce Reynolds was the brains behind it and a more pleasant man you couldn't wish to meet, a real gentleman who would see old ladies across the road.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The train robbers were never charged with murdering the train driver, he lived on for many years after the event and died of natural causes. Biggs wasn't one of the leaders, he was only a minor player. Bruce Reynolds was the brains behind it and a more pleasant man you couldn't wish to meet, a real gentleman who would see old ladies across the road.
Harold Shipman took ladies over to the other side too. That's no recommendation!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.