Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Once again the papers confirm what we all know

Once again the papers confirm what we all know

Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Once again the papers confirm what we all know

This just in From Sky News under the heading
"UK 'Is Worst Place To Live In Europe"

For many of us this is old news but here's a clip:-

"France and Spain came out on top of uSwitch's Quality of Life Index, with the UK bottom of a 10-country league table.
The index covers working hours, VAT, holidays, spending on health and education - and hours of sunshine.
The UK also came bottom of another table based on the cost of energy, petrol, food, alcohol, cigarettes and life expectancy.
Food and diesel prices are the highest in Europe, while unleaded petrol, alcohol and cigarettes all cost more than the European average, said the report.
People in the UK now have the lowest holiday entitlement in Europe as well as having one of the highest retirement ages, the study found".
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-worst-pl...052104490.html
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:26 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Once again the papers confirm what we all know

Cue the usual suspects....
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
This just in From Sky News under the heading
"UK 'Is Worst Place To Live In Europe"

For many of us this is old news but here's a clip:-

"France and Spain came out on top of uSwitch's Quality of Life Index, with the UK bottom of a 10-country league table.
The index covers working hours, VAT, holidays, spending on health and education - and hours of sunshine.
The UK also came bottom of another table based on the cost of energy, petrol, food, alcohol, cigarettes and life expectancy.
Food and diesel prices are the highest in Europe, while unleaded petrol, alcohol and cigarettes all cost more than the European average, said the report.
People in the UK now have the lowest holiday entitlement in Europe as well as having one of the highest retirement ages, the study found".
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-worst-pl...052104490.html
You should not have started this thread as there are people on here with such rose tinted glasses about the UK that they have not seen the blue bands of the spectrum for years.
This type of statistical analysis is pointless the data can be skewed however the people that organise the study want it to be and using hours of sunshine without allowing for geography immediately takes it out of the like for like comparison.

Graham
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:36 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
You should not have started this thread as there are people on here with such rose tinted glasses about the UK that they have not seen the blue bands of the spectrum for years.
This type of statistical analysis is pointless the data can be skewed however the people that organise the study want it to be and using hours of sunshine without allowing for geography immediately takes it out of the like for like comparison.

Graham
Blue bands of the spectrum? Way to go dude.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:13 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair though, the Uk are leading in things like multicutureism, oh and probably rainfall
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Oh yes I know. But this is an Expat forum and I'm an Expat. I came out here for the positive changes, rather than to run away from anything.Those who don't want to leave England, or who want to go back are welcome to. They are also welcome to stop thinking of themselves as Expats, or wannabe expats. Though I'm sure their stories of how awful it was for them to live in Spain will be a warning to those considering coming for the wrong reasons.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:30 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the statements made by others about how expensive it is to live in Spain why is it The Times is running an article entitled
Britons flee 'broken society' for cheap and chearful Spain
(sorry but the article is behind their payment wall and I am currently reading the article from one bought in the uk)

It goes on to say that
"France and Spain emerged as the best places to live, with cheap fuel, alcohol and food, coupled with long holidays, plentiful sunshine and high public spending."

So where are all the doomsayers............
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:35 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Those reports have been running for years, more holes in them than a sieve I won't point out anything, you folks obviously need all the reassurance you can get
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Both for and against.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:39 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
To be fair though, the Uk are leading in things like multicutureism, oh and probably rainfall
they are only leading in multi-culturalism because it is being forced on them from moles on the inside and from people on the outside who wish to bring their ways, culture, religion, dis-beliefs etc and live in ghettos providing support to each other whilst demanding acceptance from the indigenous minority. (Ring any bells??)

In uk my local council has leaflets etc in at least 12 different languages\dialects and have been providing translators....

in Spain my local Andalucian council has leaflets in 3 languages, Spanish, Spanish and Spanish and let you bring your own translator....

surely the opportunity to integrate within the local community, learn their language, learn their ways, eat their food and live by their ideals is part of living in another country, any country not just Spain.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Those reports have been running for years, more holes in them than a sieve I won't point out anything, you folks obviously need all the reassurance you can get
I don't need any reassurance Jacky, I am just surprised that only a couple of weeks ago there was a thread running here that was saying Brits were fleeing Spain.

anyone for a game of ping-pong ??
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Who are the other 7 countries that in the survey?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:39 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

In uk my local council has leaflets etc in at least 12 different languages\dialects and have been providing translators....

in Spain my local Andalucian council has leaflets in 3 languages, Spanish, Spanish and Spanish and let you bring your own translator....

surely the opportunity to integrate within the local community, learn their language, learn their ways, eat their food and live by their ideals is part of living in another country, any country not just Spain.
I agree with this but why is it that so many posters on here spend so much time discussing the UK? The majority seem to know very little about local politics, news etc. in their area of Spain. Infact most of their knowledge seems to extend to Tapas and local bars. As I have said before eating spanish food and being friends with the local barman doesn't mean being integrated..it is shared experiences, being involved locally etc. How do you do that spending time on here discussing the UK
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I agree with this but why is it that so many posters on here spend so much time discussing the UK? The majority seem to know very little about local politics, news etc. in their area of Spain. Infact most of their knowledge seems to extend to Tapas and local bars. As I have said before eating spanish food and being friends with the local barman doesn't mean being integrated..it is shared experiences, being involved locally etc. How do you do that spending time on here discussing the UK
This is a very sweeping statement Jacky. Many on here are very well read and make it their business to keep abreast of politics, both local, and back in the UK.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:54 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Strange then that it is the country of choice for so many immigrants from all around the World both legal and illegal.

Strange that having travelled such vast distances and gained access to the whole of Europe, they then risk their lives and occasionally lose them in repeated desperate attempts to get to their promised land.

Strange that so many Brits who have over the years have spouted this same old bash-britain nonsense, eventually do a U-turn and decide that the UK is really the best place to be after all.

I have witnessed it so often, including the vast majority of my own circle of friends, that I no longer take such crap articles seriously, but instead prefer to believe those that speak by their actions after LONG TERM experience of both sides of the coin.

Many have returned more recently realizing full well they will be better of financially and also have the benefit of a far superior benefit system.

However most of my past acquaintances who returned were under no such financial pressures at all and appeared at first sight to be very content with their new life and yet they they eventually went back simply out of choice.

I think it is only after having lived in the sun for a great many years, that most folk are in a position to take a really balanced view of the vast array of other pros and cons, so consequently I tend to take most of the others with a huge pinch of salt.

I could even mention Biggsy for instance as an extreme example, who eventually preferred the risk of life at Her Majesties Pleasure.

Personally I still very much enjoy my time in both countries, however having previously spent so much of my time outside of the UK, I now appreciate much more than ever before just how much the UK really has to offer, especially my own little corner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.