The Olympics

Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:19 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Olympics

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
According to some reports there could be more folk heading out of the country to get well away from this boring sham affair, than those coming into the country to watch it.
A fair swap don't you think? Brits can get better weather and a cheaper holiday abroad, whilst those coming to see the Olympics won't find the congestion as bad, and the weather will be comfortable (believe me you don't want to be using London Transport when the temperature exceeds 27C).

In some ways I wish the French had won the right to host this event, but at least it will show the world we're capable of putting on a good show.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
And volleyball!
Volleyball has a score that can determine the winner.
It's the so called sports where the winner is determined by a group of jumped up egotistical woofters that I have difficulty with.
( No I don't they aren't sports)
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:43 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
It's the so called sports where the winner is determined by a group of jumped up egotistical woofters that I have difficulty with.
Do you not think that Dressage riders are worthy of being called athletes?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Matt I'm a diver ( scuba ) am I a sportsman or athlete or what?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:48 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Do you not think that Dressage riders are worthy of being called athletes?
Toffee nosed twits first and foremost, .....athletes ?

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Jul 14th 2012 at 11:53 am.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:52 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
A fair swap don't you think? Brits can get better weather and a cheaper holiday abroad, whilst those coming to see the Olympics won't find the congestion as bad, and the weather will be comfortable (believe me you don't want to be using London Transport when the temperature exceeds 27C).

In some ways I wish the French had won the right to host this event, but at least it will show the world we're capable of putting on a good show.
Have you seen the prices for July/Aug in the Med
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:52 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but you're just a diver no less,no more. .

Like to do a bit myself, but mainly of the bedtime variety.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:56 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Taffy nosed twits first and foremost, .....athletes ?
I challenge either of you to be able to do what they do. I'm no major fan of them myself but I would never assume that they are not athletes. Fred, are you a professional diver? Do you do it day in, day out, hour after hour and do you have to control over half a ton of highly strung, over bred flight animal?

Ignorance is lovely isn't it? Where do we stop? Get rid of Paralympics because its not really sport? Diving? Come on, anyone ca jump off a bit of wood in the air? How about javelin? After all its just a huge dart and who can't throw a few arrows after a pint or two?

It always makes me laugh when people whine about this sort of thing, it happened when Murray lost at Wimbledon, some of my friends on Facebook slagged him off like you wouldn't believe. One of my FB mates who slagged him off the most is at least 25 stone and has had to sit down to pee for at least the last 10 years!

Like I said, I challenge either of you to do what they do, its amazing, its sublime and this is coming from someone who HATES football because its too effeminate.
(No doubt Dick will regale us with a tale of how he has been there, done that)
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:04 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have a distrust of those activities which are judged - Skating, gymnastics of many sorts, diving - the list is long. The Olympic motto is ‘Citius, Altius, Fortius’ (‘Faster, Higher, Stronger’) and that should be more or less that I think.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:20 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking that with a warship parked on the Thames, a no-fly zone, missiles on top of council flats, and 11,000 troops in London, our country must be on a red security alert. A terrorist attack must be imminent, if it hasn't started already.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
If you have a satellite dish used for UK TV, then the BBC will be broadcasting pretty much every event live.

For this they have launched 24SD and 24HD olympic channels, to provide uninterrupted coverage of events...with BBC1 and BBC3 showing a selection of events. These channels will be made available automatically to Sky and Freesat box uses (On Sky boxes they are expected to be from Sky channel 450 upwards).

The opening and closing ceremonies, mens 100m and a few other high profile events will be shown in 3D on the BBC HD channel.

TVE Teledeporte and TVEHD have the rights for Spanish TV.
That's very kind, thanks, but I don't have Sky, or a dish or a box, and I never watch UK TV! I'm fine with the ordinary TDT Spanish channels.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:26 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I challenge either of you to be able to do what they do. I'm no major fan of them myself but I would never assume that they are not athletes. Fred, are you a professional diver? Do you do it day in, day out, hour after hour and do you have to control over half a ton of highly strung, over bred flight animal?

Ignorance is lovely isn't it? Where do we stop? Get rid of Paralympics because its not really sport? Diving? Come on, anyone ca jump off a bit of wood in the air? How about javelin? After all its just a huge dart and who can't throw a few arrows after a pint or two?

It always makes me laugh when people whine about this sort of thing, it happened when Murray lost at Wimbledon, some of my friends on Facebook slagged him off like you wouldn't believe. One of my FB mates who slagged him off the most is at least 25 stone and has had to sit down to pee for at least the last 10 years!

Like I said, I challenge either of you to do what they do, its amazing, its sublime and this is coming from someone who HATES football because its too effeminate.
(No doubt Dick will regale us with a tale of how he has been there, done that)
I'm trying to think of another Olympic event which demonstrates any less obvious signs of athleticism, other than those of the horse.

Yeh, been there got the t shirt Matt, at least as assistant to my daughter, but only because it was part of a more comprehensive event, which included show jumping and hunter trials.

I have mixed feelings about how they achieve what they do achieve, though in the latter two events it's nice when both horse and rider are keen on participating which unfortunately is not always the case.

I recall a few years back a famous German Olympic horseman being caught redhanded using some very dubious and cruel training methods.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:33 pm
Straw Man.

I'm trying to think of another Olympic event which demonstrates any less obvious signs of athleticism, other than those of the horse.

Yeh, been there got the t shirt Matt, at least as assistant to my daughter, but only because it was part of a more comprehensive event, which included show jumping and hunter trials.

I have mixed feelings about how they achieve what they do achieve, though in the latter two events it's nice when both horse and rider are keen on participating which unfortunately is not always the case.

I recall a few years back a famous German Olympic horseman being caught redhanded using some very dubious and cruel training methods.
Thought you might have been....

I did type out a long reply but half way through it realised I couldn't be bothered, you will only have done it already.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:48 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jimenato
Yes I have a distrust of those activities which are judged - Skating, gymnastics of many sorts, diving - the list is long. The Olympic motto is ‘Citius, Altius, Fortius’ (‘Faster, Higher, Stronger’) and that should be more or less that I think.
I agree with your views on that and no doubt dressage could be included amongst them.

There have been some shocking decisions in this regard over the years which have dumbfounded many neutral expert observers.

With cheating and corruption being fairly common, I am inclined to wonder how many Olympic judges have been very happy to accept whatever bribes they were offered and will likely continue to do so.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HBG
I was thinking that with a warship parked on the Thames, a no-fly zone, missiles on top of council flats, and 11,000 troops in London, our country must be on a red security alert. A terrorist attack must be imminent, if it hasn't started already.
While all eyes are on London there must be some very soft targets elsewhere in the country

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.