The Olympics

Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Olympics

Shouldn't we have an Olympics thread, not just for the sport but everything that goes with it? Good and not so good.

I can see so great benefits in hosting the Olympics , mainly the regeneration of a pretty run down area.

However I am amazed by what seems to be a lack of forward planning in coping with the increased numbers of visitors expected.

A good friend of mine works for LUL on an agency basis (effectively self employed) and is paid over £400 per day.

Last week LUL asked for "volunteers" to be travel advisors at certain locations and he "volunteered".
For "volunteering" he is getting paid as though he was fulfilling his normal job.

What I do not understand is why LUL have put themselves in this position when with a little bit of forethought it could have employed pensioners or students at a fraction of that cost, and as my friend admits probably could do it better.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Olympics

I think it's bad that appeasing the big corporate sponsors has become more important than sport. Any benefits local small businesses might have had is ruled out, people aren't even allowed to buy food to take into the events, they have to get by on MuckDonalds and Coke.

Then there's all this nonsense about the logo:

As well as introducing an additional layer of protection around the word "Olympics", the Games' mottoes and symbols, the law bans unauthorised "association". This bars non-sponsors from employing images or wording that might suggest a link to the Games.

The act has already led to stories of individuals and small businesses falling foul of the rules.

In 2007, Dennis Spurr, a butcher from the Fantastic Sausage Factory in Weymouth, Dorset, was reportedly told to take down a sign showing five sausage rings in the shape of the Olympic logo, with 2012 written underneath. He changed the rings to squares and 2012 to 2013.

Last year, bakers at the British Sugarcraft Guild were reportedly told that using Olympic symbols in icing and marzipan modelling would breach copyright.

Others caught up included a florist that put up Olympic rings made of tissue paper, and an 81-year-old woman hoping to sell a £1 doll - wearing a hand-knitted sports kit with a GB 2012 logo and Olympic rings - in a fund-raising sale.

The University of Derby was reportedly forced to take down a banner that read "supporting the London Olympics".
I'm glad I'm not in the middle of it. I shall enjoy watching the actual events on Spanish TV and ignore all the cr*p that goes with it.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the Olympics should still be for amateurs only
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

It never will be, but in my heart of hearts I agree.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:52 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Far too late for that Fred.

I think that the Olympics should be the pinnacle of achievement in any included sport and therefore neither football nor tennis should be part of it.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:56 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect things will go ahead without too many hitches. London's used to hosting events that attract crowds like Cup finals and Wimbledon, even the odd demo. I'd advise people thinking of visiting London to stay away at this time though. I've been told that hotels have upped their prices four-fold - they don't mind if this results in 20 or 30% fewer bookings, as they'll still rake in the money.
Very cool and damp weather currently, with no sign of it changing soon. So at least the marathon runners won't be collapsing from exhaustion.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:58 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
I shall enjoy watching the actual events on Spanish TV and ignore all the cr*p that goes with it.
If you have a satellite dish used for UK TV, then the BBC will be broadcasting pretty much every event live.

For this they have launched 24SD and 24HD olympic channels, to provide uninterrupted coverage of events...with BBC1 and BBC3 showing a selection of events. These channels will be made available automatically to Sky and Freesat box uses (On Sky boxes they are expected to be from Sky channel 450 upwards).

The opening and closing ceremonies, mens 100m and a few other high profile events will be shown in 3D on the BBC HD channel.

TVE Teledeporte and TVEHD have the rights for Spanish TV.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Far too late for that Fred.

I think that the Olympics should be the pinnacle of achievement in any included sport and therefore neither football nor tennis should be part of it.
Where do you put Synchronized swimming or Dressage?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:01 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I had an e-mail from Royal Horseguards hotel last week offering 50% off some rooms during the olympics, suppose others will be doing the same. Another thing to thank Labour for doing!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:01 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you put Synchronized swimming or Dressage?
And volleyball!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:07 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it does seem that some hotels haven't been able to get away with the 400% price hike - I suppose it depends on location.

http://www.londonnet.co.uk/news/2012...ew-survey.html
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:10 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
I think it's bad that appeasing the big corporate sponsors has become more important than sport. Any benefits local small businesses might have had is ruled out, people aren't even allowed to buy food to take into the events, they have to get by on MuckDonalds and Coke.

Then there's all this nonsense about the logo:
It's a sad state of affairs.

Problem is that everyone has a sticky finger in the pie, from bent officials making a killing out of tickets in 50 different countries to athletes who will bend the rules anyway they can knowing a medal will give them a meal ticket for life to the big companies who almost control our daily lives.

Nice sentiments Fred, but unfortunately in todays world not possible and it would likely end up with even more cheating than there is now.

In my book the whole thing stinks from top to bottom and has long ago outlived its true aims and purpose.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't there some talk of making ballroom dancing an Olympic sport some years ago or did I dream that!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:14 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I had an e-mail from Royal Horseguards hotel last week offering 50% off some rooms during the olympics, suppose others will be doing the same. Another thing to thank Labour for doing!
According to some reports there could be more folk heading out of the country to get well away from this boring sham affair, than those coming into the country to watch it.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:18 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Wasn't there some talk of making ballroom dancing an Olympic sport some years ago or did I dream that!
Why not tiddlywinks and chess as well,just to be sure that everyone's glued to their TV screens ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.