Reload this Page >

Nuns.......how could this happen

Nuns.......how could this happen

Old Dec 8th 2010, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Nuns.......how could this happen

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The Inquisition, or what they became were implicated in it... I will try and find some info on it when I sober up a bit.
I will google as well. Ive never heard this before......
Old Dec 8th 2010, 9:35 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
I will google as well. Ive never heard this before......
There wasa brilliant program on it when this new pope took over, the office of the Inquisition basically (and I do mean basically) became another department within the Vatican and this new pope was the head of it.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 9:52 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

My school was far from perfect believe me. Th nuns are hard task masters.

Im not disagreeing with your comments about how disgusting it is and that nothing is being done. Im certainly not excusing their actions. I was only taking issue with the thought that if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,...then it must be a duck......

There are some wonderful nuns and priests out there that do a fabulous job.
I ask the question again. How many 'good' priests does it take to erase the harm done by one abuser?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bil
I ask the question again. How many 'good' priests does it take to erase the harm done by one abuser?
Nothing can erase the harm done by even one abuser.....but we have to remember that there are "good" among the bad......
Old Dec 8th 2010, 9:58 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing can erase the harm done by even one abuser.....but we have to remember that there are "good" among the bad......
No offense, but that sounds as tho you are amost excusing the harm and the evil because there were some decent priests among the abusers.

I'm sure that's not the case.

However saying that sounds a bit to me like saying 'Hey, not all the SS were bastards, there were some decent guys in there too.........'
Old Dec 9th 2010, 6:16 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

When the Church gets too powerful, as it was in Franco’s Spain, the bible belt in the US, the southern German state of Bavaria and large parts of Italy and France, they are able to play God without interference from democracy.

And people who play God think that they know best, and if they consider children (God’s children) to be neglected they might consider those vulnerable children better off with parents they have selected, and if they’re able to, they remove them from their inadequate parents to ‘rescue’ them.

If the circumstances of each ‘rescue’ was fed into a God computer, their actions would be justified. The trouble is, computers are inhuman, they don’t have feelings, they don’t take into account that totally inadequate parents are still capable of loving their children, and those children might be better off raised in a slum than some cold convent.

And if the circumstances raised in the first post involve those children being ‘sold’, then those responsible should be brought to justice, whatever religious garments they hide behind.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 6:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

This is wandering away from the Spanish connection so I am moving it to Siesta Time
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:56 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
When the Church gets too powerful, as it was in Franco’s Spain, the bible belt in the US, the southern German state of Bavaria and large parts of Italy and France, they are able to play God without interference from democracy.

And people who play God think that they know best, and if they consider children (God’s children) to be neglected they might consider those vulnerable children better off with parents they have selected, and if they’re able to, they remove them from their inadequate parents to ‘rescue’ them.

If the circumstances of each ‘rescue’ was fed into a God computer, their actions would be justified. The trouble is, computers are inhuman, they don’t have feelings, they don’t take into account that totally inadequate parents are still capable of loving their children, and those children might be better off raised in a slum than some cold convent.

And if the circumstances raised in the first post involve those children being ‘sold’, then those responsible should be brought to justice, whatever religious garments they hide behind.
Nicely put. It is precisely this 'licence to play god' that causes all the problems.

In joining the religion of your choice, while submitting to it, you also get to weild its power to justify whatever piece of nastiness you have in mind.

When judging any religion or political group, you should look long and hard how they treat people when they get real power. On that basis, neither the followers of JC or Adolph come out of it well.