Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Newbies here :-D

Newbies here :-D

Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies here :-D

I never said 'too many' have wanted to cause trouble. Why is it that some people read a post and interpret it to suit themselves??????
I didn't say you did say it, I said it. It's an expression, "I don't think too people" means few people, but read it as you want. Me la trae floja.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by agoreira
I didn't say you did say it, I said it. It's an expression, "I don't think too people" means few people, but read it as you want. Me la trae floja.

On the rare occasion I hear someone say that I always think.......airhead.....
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by benandkelly

I asked for opinions and in that I expected to get peoples TRUE views.

Not enough contributors here for that I´m afraid
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:28 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Not enough contributors here for that I´m afraid
Sorry? I don't quite get it. How many people do you need until someone posts their true opinions?

Is there a critical mass, or what?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Sorry? I don't quite get it. How many people do you need until someone posts their true opinions?

Is there a critical mass, or what?
surely you only need one

& there are definately 2 of us

you're not me, are you
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:43 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jur
So why did Canada fell through?
Benandkelly, I´m not being sarcastic here, but what happened to your Canada plans? I´m sure it will be a lot easier for your kids to move to a English speaking country. I do not know when you want to move to Spain or when you are starting your Spanish classes but you better get on with it now. And secure work beforehand otherwise you´ll be back in the UK within 3 months.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:18 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I actually agree with you on this one, but unless someone quotes me you won`t see it, unless you have a crafty look.

Very logical this "ignore button" malarky
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:24 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
surely you only need one

& there are definately 2 of us

you're not me, are you
Well, I was of the opinion that it just didn't make sense.

I'm pretty sure I'm me. How about you?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:34 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

There have been many discussions about bringing children to a foreign country and I haven’t seen too many comments from the children who went through that experience, apart from JLFS’s.

I went through it at the age of 12, but not in Spain. It’s very tempting to be a lot more graphic, but I don’t want to say too much apart from saying that it was hellish.

I did learn from it, but not through choice. I’ve got some cups on the shelf behind me, for boxing. I never wanted to box, I preferred books at the age of 12, but I was boxing every day, always defensively and for years.

Then the Stockholm Syndrome got me, in the shape of a raven-haired beauty and I hung around for longer than I would otherwise have done.

I did stow-away once at the age of 13 to try and get home, but after a two-week crossing of the North Sea in winter I landed in the wrong country and they sent me back again, on the same ship, and it was even colder on the way back.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:47 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
There have been many discussions about bringing children to a foreign country and I haven’t seen too many comments from the children who went through that experience, apart from JLFS’s.

I went through it at the age of 12, but not in Spain. It’s very tempting to be a lot more graphic, but I don’t want to say too much apart from saying that it was hellish.

I did learn from it, but not through choice. I’ve got some cups on the shelf behind me, for boxing. I never wanted to box, I preferred books at the age of 12, but I was boxing every day, always defensively and for years.

Then the Stockholm Syndrome got me, in the shape of a raven-haired beauty and I hung around for longer than I would otherwise have done.

I did stow-away once at the age of 13 to try and get home, but after a two-week crossing of the North Sea in winter I landed in the wrong country and they sent me back again, on the same ship, and it was even colder on the way back.
A good post H.
The point you made about the children who have been through school in a foreign country is quite valid, not many posters on here, but in a few years there will be loads of yo yo children recounting their stories.

It just seems so harsh on the kids to uproot them for what only maybe a short stay, and through lack of foresight or being unprepared having to do it all again.

As for your stowaway adventure, count yourself lucky that you did not get to the "drinking your own urine" stage.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

Very logical this "ignore button" malarky
Gotta spread before I can karma you.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Just to get away from the talk being all about the kids....you'll find that your qualifications are of no value here in Spain. Because you will not be able to sign-off a job when done, it'll probably be very difficult to pick up any work at all. (Don't mean to be a downer....just letting you know how it really is).
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:54 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
Just to get away from the talk being all about the kids....you'll find that your qualifications are of no value here in Spain. Because you will not be able to sign-off a job when done, it'll probably be very difficult to pick up any work at all. (Don't mean to be a downer....just letting you know how it really is).
It has always surprised me when possible incomers with children ask about employment prospects and housing when considering a move to Spain, or any foreign country.

They wonder whether English qualifications are acceptable in Spain, they wonder how important it is to learn the language. They ask about autonomo payments when starting a business.

The area is of particular concern to them, they want cheap housing in a nice area, possible with easy access to the beach, and they enquire about whether the area is crime-free. They consider the distance from the nearest airport and the climate, preferring the sunny Costa del Sol to the cold and wet Galicia.

When someone asks them about what will happen to their children in the foreign country they want to move to, the answer often appears to be, ‘They just go to the local school, as children do in the UK.’

I suggest they’ve got their priorities completely wrong. (This is not aimed at the OP).
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:07 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
It has always surprised me when possible incomers with children ask about employment prospects and housing when considering a move to Spain, or any foreign country.

They wonder whether English qualifications are acceptable in Spain, they wonder how important it is to learn the language. They ask about autonomo payments when starting a business.

The area is of particular concern to them, they want cheap housing in a nice area, possible with easy access to the beach, and they enquire about whether the area is crime-free. They consider the distance from the nearest airport and the climate, preferring the sunny Costa del Sol to the cold and wet Galicia.

When someone asks them about what will happen to their children in the foreign country they want to move to, the answer often appears to be, ‘They just go to the local school, as children do in the UK.’

I suggest they’ve got their priorities completely wrong. (This is not aimed at the OP).
I think you are right. You should have a mind to what you've spawned, and the potential problems and stress on children forced to change country are enormous, and seldom addressed properly.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I think you are right. You should have a mind to what you've spawned, and the potential problems and stress on children forced to change country are enormous, and seldom addressed properly.
I can understand why British people would want to spend their retirement in Spain.

However, I havent a clue why the majority of younger British people with families want to move to Spain when they do not seem to particularly like (or even know anything about) the Spanish lifestyle, culture or language.

Is it just to "live in the sun"? If it is, then these people are shallow and irresponsible. Especially if they are dragging kids out with them just so they can sunbathe more often and walk on a beach every now and then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.